Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 07:45 AM

3 posts, read 13,456 times

Advertisements

Five years ago, we moved to Cape Girardeau and, at first, we were impressed with this "town". But the longer we've lived here, the less enamoured we've become.

Back when I was a kid, we often visited Cape, since it was one of the larger shopping towns in this part of the state. At that time, it was a "town" of about 15,000. Today, the population is around 35,000. And, quite honestly, the old residents seem to resent the growth (even though they still own most of the business that is making money off of the newcomers).

Now, Cape is a "big town"...and community leaders seem hell bent to make it a "small city"...with "big city" problems.

It has to be the absolute worst "city" I've ever had to drive in, especially at lunch time and between 4 and 6 in the evening. "City" planners have done a horrible job with street and road lay out, and traffic congestion is as bad as in a real "city" with ten times the populaiton. Housing is outrageous here, especially for anyone needing to rent. There is not enough work for those looking for employment...and far too many employers in Cape Girardeau tend to look for only "part time" employees, reducing their commitment to providing benefits. And there is a racial tension here that definitely does not make for a healthy environment.

Per capita, this small "city" likely has more police officers than any other community in southeast Missouri - and that's likely due to the need. It is nearly impossible to drive more than two blocks without seeing a patrol car, and most evenings the local news reports something about a shooting, robbery, murder, theft, vandalism, or what have you.

The old class of native residents seem to have a real arrogance about them that will quickly wear on just about anyone from outside the area. In this town, if you don't come from one of those old families with old money, you had better get used to strong snobbish treatment from those who do.

But if you like hot and steamy high humidity in July and August, this ol' Mississippi River town just might be the place for you.

ME...I'VE HAD ENOUGH...AND I'M GETTIN' OUT!

Toby-at-Large

Muzzleloader
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2006, 07:50 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times
Springfield has the traffic issues too, the town's infrastructure simply isn't designed to handle the mass of traffic that has accompanied the growth. I think Springfield has around 150,000 inhabitants, actually lost a few thousand in the last few years, probably to Ozark, Nixa, and surrounding communities. But I think it's typical in these parts for the towns not to be able to keep up with traffic. There's so much that's good and positive about Springfield that although the traffic bottlenecks grate on me, I am satisfied overall. People are friendly for the most part and I don't notice any racial issues here. I'm sure they exist in parts, as well as some crime, especially in the older northern part of town off Commercial Street, but overall, it's a wonderful place to live. Move West Johnny!

Old 11-22-2006, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 13,456 times
Default Forget Cape Girardeau

MoMark,

I lived in the Springfield area for about 7 years. Use to be the Public Relations Manager for that giant outdoor catalog operation you have there. I lived there during the growth spurt...and know what you mean about the traffic.

And that bit about moving West...that's exactly what I'm planning next spring. Headed for Wyoming...where there's plenty of open spaces. And I'll be doing what I love...writing a weekly outdoor column for four or five newspapers.

Toby-at-Large

Muzzleloader

Old 11-22-2006, 10:58 AM

187 posts, read 1,022,697 times
Any town that has Rush Limbaugh as one of its prominent natives isnt anyplace that I'd want to live.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:33 PM

14 posts, read 60,696 times
Here, here! His brother, David Limbaugh is even worse!

I'm giving up on the Missouri period! I've moved around in both Illinois and Missouri for the last 15 years and can honestly say I've never felt more racial tension and separation of classes (the haves and the have nots) in both states rural towns, (I hear that St. Louis is even worse), than any other place I've ever lived. Which, hasn't been that many different states but I'm going back to the Southwest part of the country. I know they have their issues too but I personally never experienced the above like I have here, especially in Cape Girardeau, MO and Edwardsville, IL. Plus, besides being extremely humid it is very "buggy" here during the hot months of July and August. Yes, very strange "alien" looking bugs as well as lots and lots of mosquitos if you live near the river. Which Cape is situated right next to the river.
Ta-ta, David Limbaugh!

Last edited by Marka; 11-24-2006 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 11-27-2006, 12:43 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,927 times
Just to add to all the insults about Cape Girardeau, remember that it's near the epicenter of the New Madrid fault that will, with 100% certainty, go off again at some unknown point in the future. This earthquake fault levelled towns in past and will do so again. The last series of major quakes there were felt as far away as New York!

Then again, no matter where you live there is some type of natural disaster potential. I just think that the New Madrid fault is one of the more scary ones because nothing in that region is built to withstand a magnitude 7+ earthquake.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:33 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,979 times
Ok, scratch Cape Girardeau off the list
Next! LOL

Old 01-25-2007, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 10,267 times
You can't be serious. Is this the same Cape Girardeau I know? Traffic may not be the best, but it's being improved. It is also nowhere near as congested as major cities, we just happen to have several bad drivers.

Crime on the news every night? I worked for KFVS 12 for several years, and I can tell you shootings and murders were rare. The producers just ran updates on the same stories about it. Theft and robbery? Possibly, but stories were not ran on theft for the most part, as most of it was so minor it didn't even make the Southeast Missourian. Crime in Cape Girardeau involves the following: DUI drivers, Domestic Disturbances (which perhaps once or twice a year lead to a homicide), Petty Theft (shoplifting, someone has something stolen from their car, porch, etc), Possesion (usually marijuana), and the very rare murder (one a year, always a result of some arguement between two guys who know each other). As a matter of fact, the majority of news reported comes from Southern Illinois and Kentucky, due to a lack of reportable news from Southeast Missouri.

As far as police at every two blocks: what streets were you on? I can drive all over town for several hours and maybe see 3 patrol cars.

I agree on the employment, as it can be difficult for some to find jobs. The main reason for this is the fact that it's a college town. Why would you pay one guy over two times the amount (including benefits) when you could have two workers that handle the same job for much less? Carbondale is much the same way.

I've failed to notice any major racial tension. I've lived in areas of town some might consider "seedy", simply because african americans live there. I've never had a single problem either, with the exception of a few noise complaints about my neighbors. After I addressed the situation, it never happened again.

As far as "old families with old money", I'm sure that must be a joke. I'm by no means wealthy, and I (nor anyone I know) has been treated rudely because of it. For that matter, I've never even heard of such an instance in this town. It could be due to your circle of "friends". I'm not exactly sure of the type of person you associate with, so I can't say for sure.

Currently I live only a few blocks from the river, and I have yet to experience mosquito problems either.

I've lived in major cities, I've traveled to others, and I just have to say you can't compare Cape to any of them. Sure, I lock my doors, but I feel 100% safe walking through town and when I go to sleep at night. I don't worry about my house being broke into, or having my car stolen. You're making Cape sound like East St. Louis, when it's far from it. Are there better towns? I'm sure there are elsewhere nationally, but there are far worse towns to live in. It isn't a utopia, but then again, no city is.

Cons of Cape: Not much in the way of nightlife, low average income on a national scale, humidity, traffic can be bad, but it's getting better.

Pros: Plenty of outdoor activities in surrounding area, fairly cheap cost of living, lack of violent crime.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:58 AM

944 posts, read 3,954,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooredodge View Post
Are there better towns? I'm sure there are elsewhere nationally, but there are far worse towns to live in. It isn't a utopia, but then again, no city is.
That's so true.

Thanks for the positive perspective on the area. I'm generally curious about southern MO even though I live in Texas and am originally from CA. I just have this feeling that someday I might live in southern MO, but more likely the SW area near Springfield. I've been through the SE portion of the state and wasn't as fond of it, mainly for aesthetic reasons. It's flat, more humid, not as pretty, etc. But that's just my opinion from a personal experience of being through there ONE time for ONE day and night!

Old 01-26-2007, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 10,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
That's so true.

Thanks for the positive perspective on the area. I'm generally curious about southern MO even though I live in Texas and am originally from CA. I just have this feeling that someday I might live in southern MO, but more likely the SW area near Springfield. I've been through the SE portion of the state and wasn't as fond of it, mainly for aesthetic reasons. It's flat, more humid, not as pretty, etc. But that's just my opinion from a personal experience of being through there ONE time for ONE day and night!
Glad to be of some service. I can certainly see what parts of SE Mo you're referring to, as it does get a much more bland south of Cape Girardeau. It is also very humid the majority of the year, which I wish we could change. The areas north of Cape are no where near as flat as south of Cape. A little town north west of Jackson named Daisy (population 50) has several interesting features nearby, including a series of caves that run from Daisy to Oak Ridge, and perhaps further, rumored to have been a temporary hideout for Jesse James when he was making his way north through the state. There are also several nice creeks and small rivers in the area within a half hours drive if you know how to find them, along with several conservation areas.

Personally, I want to move to Alaska, as I love the wildlife and outdoor activities there, but I'm waiting until the time is right before making the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri