U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,425 times

Advertisements

Ok so I'm a writer of short stories etc. and I'm trying to think of a setting for a story in Missouri, hopefully with lots of greenfileds, very small, with enough to do that you can't get bored. Can anyone help me with this??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 04:48 PM

187 posts, read 978,235 times
Hermann, Missouri?

Parkville?

Augusta?

Arcadia?

Westphalia?

Weston?

Rocheport?

Louisiana?

Ste Genevieve?

Lexington?

Just a few towns that might have some charm that come to mind.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:17 PM

138 posts, read 465,075 times
Default about 17,000 people

TRY KIRKSVILLE! Very conservative but with an excellent college.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:58 AM

339 posts, read 1,318,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWriter View Post
very small, with enough to do that you can't get bored.
Have you ever lived in a small town? Beating boredom is a way of life. You'll need a 4x4, a fishing boat, a shotgun and a rifle. If you get bored it's your own fault.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:37 PM

944 posts, read 3,687,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
You'll need... a shotgun and a rifle.
I'm ignorant about guns. Why both? What's the diff?

Old 11-27-2006, 04:26 PM

339 posts, read 1,318,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
I'm ignorant about guns. Why both? What's the diff?
Keeping in mind my statement was somewhat tongue-in-cheek...

Shotgun = lots of small pellets ("shot") from the smooth barrel; unless it is a "slug" which is a single projectile.

Rifle = single projectile from the rifled (think spiral groove) barrel.

A shotgun would generally be used for rabbit and squirrel (though a small caliber rifle may be as well), for birds (turkey, doves, quail, ducks, etc) and for skeet, trap and sporting clays. Moving targets are shotgun targets.

A rifle (or shotgun with slug) would be used for deer, coyotes, ferrel hogs and various smaller game with smaller calibers, and for target shooting at fixed targets.

Hope this helps. If killing isn't your thing, you should try target shooting with rifle or shotgun. It's a really addictive sport.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:06 PM

65 posts, read 358,035 times
Default Hey Swriter,

Writer here as well and resident of Missouri for over 20 years, Southwest Missouri is full of different areas that you are describing, not sure if your speaking of a certain time period or the here and now but this part of the country would be a good setting for any story I would think.

Ozark,
Branson
area
or Springfield

Old 12-03-2006, 03:02 PM

3 posts, read 10,136 times
Every consider a really small town with a population of approximately 1200?

Old 12-08-2006, 07:57 PM

5 posts, read 27,065 times
what about a town with population of around 200, lol
we live in new cambria well outside city limits
nothing much to do here but in the summer every town around us has a festival of some sort, we have truck pulls, rodeos, 4H events, demolition derbys, lots to do in other towns around us
plus we have a lot of huge get to togethers out here on our property with 50 to 60 people at a time, make a grand party of it

i think this would be a great setting for a novel

Old 12-11-2006, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 13,726 times
Hermann is beautiful, I've only been twice but ultimatley my plan is to move there once we can find a good job for my husband and a place to rent. We went recently and just walked around for hours and had a blast. Everyone's polite and talks to you... nothing like the city. We felt very at home. I couldn't say that it wouldn't get boring after a while, but a good boring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or