U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2016, 06:26 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
694 posts, read 1,279,244 times
Reputation: 942

Advertisements

Lots of you tube video's out there to give those missing Missouri a little piece of home but I follow a truck driver who has a live camera running as he travels cross country and while his video's, live and recorded, are typically major highways, his site and library can help you kill a lot of time and take you on vacation or a Sunday drive without leaving home.

Big Rig Travels Site

Missouri library 111 video's - Big Rig Travels Youtube (check out the video's by State and click Missouri) Make sure to check out the deliveries to the underground caves in Independence and Springfield.

Over the road truck drivers get to see a lot of America but after watching this guy for a few months, it appears to be a very lonely lifestyle
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2016, 06:37 PM
 
3,207 posts, read 2,336,209 times
Reputation: 1951
I moved to South Florida last year. I don't miss the colder weather though. If St. Louis were in a warmer part of the state like around Joplin or the Bootheel I could tolerate the climate. What I do miss about stl county is the traffic isn't as bad, and the infrastructure is better compared to where I live currently. Also I miss Missouri gun laws. Here in FL we have no open carry, and our conceal carry law is stricter too. Up in MO they passed permit less conceal carry which will become law when they override the veto, and MO is a open carry state so you can open carry your AR15 if you wish. Here in FL it is illegal to open carry and attempts to pass it have failed.

Can you all send us Eric Burlison, Kurt Schaeffer and Peter Kinder down here! Throw in Matt Blunt too! I want constitutional carry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2016, 06:54 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
694 posts, read 1,279,244 times
Reputation: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I moved to South Florida last year. I don't miss the colder weather though. If St. Louis were in a warmer part of the state like around Joplin or the Bootheel I could tolerate the climate. What I do miss about stl county is the traffic isn't as bad, and the infrastructure is better compared to where I live currently. Also I miss Missouri gun laws. Here in FL we have no open carry, and our conceal carry law is stricter too. Up in MO they passed permit less conceal carry which will become law when they override the veto, and MO is a open carry state so you can open carry your AR15 if you wish. Here in FL it is illegal to open carry and attempts to pass it have failed.

Can you all send us Eric Burlison, Kurt Schaeffer and Peter Kinder down here! Throw in Matt Blunt too! I want constitutional carry.
You know it's pretty easy to figure out who you are don't you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2016, 10:43 AM
 
Location: DFW
6,019 posts, read 4,951,304 times
Reputation: 5852
I moved to Texas from Missouri. This move really made me realize how much I liked Missouri. It's a great, affordable place to live with low cost of living. Having two semi-large cities in the same state is awesome.

I might be back in Missouri within a year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2016, 01:16 PM
 
3,207 posts, read 2,336,209 times
Reputation: 1951
But Texas has bigger cities and more stuff to do. What is bad about Texas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2016, 03:33 PM
 
Location: DFW
6,019 posts, read 4,951,304 times
Reputation: 5852
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
But Texas has bigger cities and more stuff to do. What is bad about Texas?
I thought the same thing before I moved here. I live in Dallas (well, Fort Worth actually).

First of all, the scenery is SUPER boring here. People say that Kansas City is flat, but actually, I find it quite hilly. Kansas City also has a sort of urban feel to it. St Louis has a very unique feel that you cannot find in any other city.

Even when I lived in Columbia, I was never far away from hiking, camping, exploring caves, walking the various trails, and canoeing down the MO river.

Dallas/Fort Worth is one of the least outdoor friendly cities I've ever lived in. Even tiny Sedalia, MO has more outdoor things to do.

Also, most of the big cities in Texas don't even feel like big cities. STL and KC feel much more urban to me than Dallas/Fort Worth or Houston. But Texas is definitely more diverse than Missouri when it comes to people, restaurants, and shopping.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2016, 04:44 PM
 
3,207 posts, read 2,336,209 times
Reputation: 1951
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I thought the same thing before I moved here. I live in Dallas (well, Fort Worth actually).

First of all, the scenery is SUPER boring here. People say that Kansas City is flat, but actually, I find it quite hilly. Kansas City also has a sort of urban feel to it. St Louis has a very unique feel that you cannot find in any other city.

Even when I lived in Columbia, I was never far away from hiking, camping, exploring caves, walking the various trails, and canoeing down the MO river.

Dallas/Fort Worth is one of the least outdoor friendly cities I've ever lived in. Even tiny Sedalia, MO has more outdoor things to do.

Also, most of the big cities in Texas don't even feel like big cities. STL and KC feel much more urban to me than Dallas/Fort Worth or Houston. But Texas is definitely more diverse than Missouri when it comes to people, restaurants, and shopping.
How can that be? I've only been to Dallas airport during a lay over but flew over the city and the interstate system was MASSIVE and the downtown area looked massive. I would be very lost in that city. It looked HUGE compared to St. Louis metro.

What is Houston like? You got the Gulf of Mexico not too far away. What about living on the Gulf? Then again probably the job market not good along the coastline unless you're into the service industry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2016, 06:57 PM
 
Location: DFW
6,019 posts, read 4,951,304 times
Reputation: 5852
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
How can that be? I've only been to Dallas airport during a lay over but flew over the city and the interstate system was MASSIVE and the downtown area looked massive. I would be very lost in that city. It looked HUGE compared to St. Louis metro.

What is Houston like? You got the Gulf of Mexico not too far away. What about living on the Gulf? Then again probably the job market not good along the coastline unless you're into the service industry.
Dallas definitely has more highways than St Louis. It's also a lot more spread out than St Louis. However, most of the city feels more like St Louis County than STL city. St Louis is lucky enough to have Cards stadium, the Arch, Budweiser brewery, bars, and City Museum all right near downtown.

Downtown Dallas is not very active after business hours. Actually, the area is more of a business district than anything. There are a few restaurants and apartments, but it's mostly businesses.

Houston is similar, but the downtown area feels slightly more active at night.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2016, 07:20 PM
 
3,207 posts, read 2,336,209 times
Reputation: 1951
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Dallas definitely has more highways than St Louis. It's also a lot more spread out than St Louis. However, most of the city feels more like St Louis County than STL city. St Louis is lucky enough to have Cards stadium, the Arch, Budweiser brewery, bars, and City Museum all right near downtown.

Downtown Dallas is not very active after business hours. Actually, the area is more of a business district than anything. There are a few restaurants and apartments, but it's mostly businesses.

Houston is similar, but the downtown area feels slightly more active at night.
Is it dangerous in Dallas downtown? I mean where it would be a good idea to be carrying a firearm.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2016, 07:58 PM
 
Location: DFW
6,019 posts, read 4,951,304 times
Reputation: 5852
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Is it dangerous in Dallas downtown? I mean where it would be a good idea to be carrying a firearm.
Not really. Downtown Dallas is pretty safe (despite the recent shootings). Unfortunately, the same can't be said about some parts of St Louis. Then again, there are some bad parts of Dallas as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top