Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2006, 09:01 PM

4 posts, read 20,564 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what this city is like? I saw it on Storm Stories, which is not the best place to get attracted to a city... but it looked like a really nice town and I would really like to know more about it..

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 09:22 PM

187 posts, read 1,022,502 times
Well, its pretty small, and it had a charming downtown area, at least before the tornado did away with much of it. I dont have a clue what it looks like now, though, since they have rebuilt.

To me, its a pretty typical small town. Nothing special about the place. I didnt see too many businesses there, but Monett is like 5 minutes away, and Joplin 30-45 mins away, Springfield an hour away.

Maybe someone else who knows more about the place can weigh in with something more in-depth than this.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:55 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,566 times
I don't know much about it either I'm sorry to say, it's located pretty far from my normal range. But the tornado wiped out a 100 yr. old classic downtown and of course they've had to rebuild. I don't know if they chose to go retro or rebuild in a more modern style, but I know Pierce City hired architects to design a common theme and rebuilt some key buildings to match the ones that were there before. However, Stockton, Missouri was also wiped out in the tornadoes of 2003 and they've rebuilt in classic style, really nice. No more multi-story buildings, but all brick with classic facades and old-fashioned streetlights, etc. Stockton chose to rebuild slowly and avoid a quick rebuild in cheap materials. It came out really pretty and what's nice about keeping the buildings low is that with the way Stockton is situated, it allows everyone to see the views instead of them being blocked. The choice of all brick makes it instantly charming too. It's such a pretty setting.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 15,199 times
The downtown looks pretty nice after the tornado. They've rebuilt some things, and modernized others. They community spirit and feel of the town remains unchanged, however. It is still quite charming!

Old 12-03-2006, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 11,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecamp View Post
Can anyone tell me what this city is like? I saw it on Storm Stories, which is not the best place to get attracted to a city... but it looked like a really nice town and I would really like to know more about it..

Thanks
I have been in this are all my life and yes Pierce City's downtown business district was almost totally destroyed on May 4, 2003 by a F3 - F4 tornado. Three business buildings are all of the 1870 town still standing. However, new businesses have opened, a new multi-million dollar armory has been constructed with the old armory being refurbished for another business. The grocery store and drug store, located on Commercial when the tornado hit and the Baptist church, just two blocks from this area exchanged lots and have all rebuilt. The church is now out of town on land purchased before May 4 and the grocery store is on the land previously owned by the church and the drug store is now open on the land where the grocery store was situated. The community, with the help of people from all over the world, has been revived and is once again a nice small town in southwest Missouri. This is a short version of some of the events following that day in 2003. If you want more info, let me know.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:11 PM

6 posts, read 39,828 times
i miss the old buildings downtown but was impressed that so many decided to rebuild after the tornado. my experience is that people are friendly, conservative, and many are church going. i think the catholic and baptist churches have a strong presence there. also, mennonites/amish/i'm not sure which have settled there in recent years to farm. monett, springfield and joplin are nearby if you want more to do. monett has a growing mexican/south american population and that seems to be working well there. i think residents would be more upset over an unmown yard than they would be over an unusual living/roommate situation. for whatever it is worth.......

Old 02-17-2007, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,526 times
Default Born And Raised

I am from Pierce City born and raised. The town is great...I love it so much, I have kids now I am trying to get my husband to move there now! The thing about Pierce City is it wasnt a booming town, what we had was alot of antique shops owned and operated by the same people! My family owned three store down town. Its quiet and safe, still is, and its great. After the tornado, there have been some "upgrades" most people would say, I dont think PC needs a Dollar store but whatever, but it is coming around, little by little, and the same people that have lived there for years still do, and arent going anywhere. Anymore questions let me know! GO PC EAGLES!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri