U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2006, 06:40 PM

23 posts, read 103,133 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Missouri for school and would like any remarks on what people in the community have. Is there a lot to do? What is there to do? How is the community? Etc....

Thank You

Last edited by lacece22; 11-29-2006 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: blurry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 07:08 PM

77 posts, read 299,339 times
Any specific area you're looking at?

Old 11-30-2006, 04:22 AM

Yeah, I'm looking at a college in Springfield for a transfer program.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:26 AM

77 posts, read 299,339 times
Well I'm in my senior year at Missouri State, so I've lived in Springfield for four years now. For the most part, Springfield has been a great place to attend college. It's big enough to where there's plenty to do, but it still maintains sort of a "down-home" feel. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros:

- Springfield is a pretty nice looking town, overall. I love the Missouri State campus, and from what I've seen of the other colleges, they're very beautiful as well.

- There is plenty to do. Movie theaters, shopping, golf...basically anything you want to do. Branson is a 30 minute drive from where I live (south side of Springfield). I'm not really one to see a Branson show, but they do have some great outlet malls. Springfield also has the Springfield Cardinals, the minor league affilliate for the St. Louis Cardinals. Hammons field, where they play, was built just a few years ago, and it is an absolutely gorgeous stadium.

- Springfield is pretty cheap living. Gas is always cheaper here than where I'm from (Kansas City). Recently, there has been a big influx of Californians moving here, because they can get a house for $150,000 that would have cost them $400,000 in CA.

Cons:

- Traffic, traffic, traffic. The main problem is that the way Springfield is set up, all the major highways are on the outskirts of town. So basically, if you need to go anywhere, you can expect to be driving 35 mph and stop at 6 or 7 stoplights. You get used to it, but it can still be pretty frustrating at times.

- A law was recently passed, banning all minors (under 21) from entering bars or establishments that make 60% of their money from alcohol sales. Some are worried this will kill the local music scene, and will also take away entertainment options for college freshmen/sophomores. I keep hearing there are plenty of ways around this law, though, so it may not be as big of a deal as it seems.

- Springfield is a pretty safe town, but I feel like it's necessary to mention one bad experience I had. I had $160 tail lights on my truck, which I had parked on campus overnight when I lived in the dorms. I go out there one day, and noticed my tail lights had been stolen. Needless to say, I was pretty pissed. There were no cameras in that particular parking lot. I filed a report with the police on campus. Nothing happened, and it wasn't worth the deductible to pay for them with insurance. Basically, I was just screwed. Like I said though, that was only one bad experience, and I haven't heard of any similar problems from my friends.

I could go on, but I have to get ready for school. Overall, I think Springfield has been a great place to attend school, and I'm completely happy I came here. That said, I probably wouldn't choose to live here permanently, but then again, I'm the type of person that likes to have a big city nearby. Good luck!

Steve

Old 11-30-2006, 03:20 PM

steve

Thank You so much for your input. I'm over 21 so that law won't bother my, and sorry about your tail lights .

Old 11-30-2006, 03:28 PM

4 posts, read 13,687 times
I'm from Lebanon originally, and I go to University in Joplin, but I consider Springfield to be my second home. I love the atmosphere: It's a college town without being all about the school!

Old 12-02-2006, 07:57 PM

65 posts, read 358,096 times
Default born in Springfield

Springfield is a great place to live but I would agree about the traffic situation mentioned.

I have lived in Springfield during my college years went to both MSU and Drury, and my family and I live in Ozark and work in Springfield.

Welcome to the area and hope you find it a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri