Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:39 PM

850 posts, read 1,888,947 times

Advertisements

I've just moved here, and would really like to have a home birth. But I need a good midwife. Are there any here? Does anyone know of any (good) midwives in the area or a way to find one?

I have medical coverage (Medicaid), and would be covered if the midwife was also a nurse. If not I could maybe work something out if she was good/experienced. I simply CANNOT have my baby in a hospital. Any info is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 09:51 PM

537 posts, read 1,317,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
I've just moved here, and would really like to have a home birth. But I need a good midwife. Are there any here? Does anyone know of any (good) midwives in the area or a way to find one?

I have medical coverage (Medicaid), and would be covered if the midwife was also a nurse. If not I could maybe work something out if she was good/experienced. I simply CANNOT have my baby in a hospital. Any info is greatly appreciated!!
You do know it is against the law in Missouri for a midwife to do a homebirth? From what I have heard from others there are birthing centers in Missouri that you could go to instead of a hospital. You could also look into unassisted birth. PM me if you want more info. Congratulations on the baby!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWay2MO View Post
You do know it is against the law in Missouri for a midwife to do a homebirth? From what I have heard from others there are birthing centers in Missouri that you could go to instead of a hospital. You could also look into unassisted birth. PM me if you want more info. Congratulations on the baby!
against the law? dear god.....

pm on the way and thank you :}

Old 02-26-2008, 10:14 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,478,478 times
Yes midwifery is not allowed in Missouri, however a doctor can perform a home birth. I don't know a lot of details on this, only that my Aunt had this done.

One thing to note however, she had complications and had to be rushed to a hospital. She almost lost her child because of her desire for a home birth.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Yes midwifery is not allowed in Missouri, however a doctor can perform a home birth. I don't know a lot of details on this, only that my Aunt had this done.

One thing to note however, she had complications and had to be rushed to a hospital. She almost lost her child because of her desire for a home birth.
when you said the word 'doctor' i knew the outcome wasn't going to be good:}

Old 02-28-2008, 06:59 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,325,261 times
kareybear is looking as well

Old 02-28-2008, 12:40 PM

321 posts, read 917,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Yes midwifery is not allowed in Missouri, hospital. .
??What?? Why? There are no midwives in MO? They can't practice period?? This makes no sense to me since midwives are how it used to be! I have a midwife here in Mass - she can do most of the basics a regular OB can but in a more personal fashion. Getting ready to move to MO and was hoping to find a good midwife. Help!

Old 02-28-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
when you said the word 'doctor' i knew the outcome wasn't going to be good:}
LOL exactly what I was thinking.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktully View Post
??What?? Why? There are no midwives in MO? They can't practice period?? This makes no sense to me since midwives are how it used to be! I have a midwife here in Mass - she can do most of the basics a regular OB can but in a more personal fashion. Getting ready to move to MO and was hoping to find a good midwife. Help!
There are CNM's (certified nurse midwives) that can deliver babies in the hospital but not at homes. IMO they are no different than an OB. There are some birthing centers in MO, but not many.
I came across this one in Columbia: Columbia Community Birth Center

Old 02-28-2008, 01:14 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,478,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktully View Post
They can't practice period??
No. Only 24 states allow midwifery to be practiced.

Last edited by aragx6; 02-28-2008 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
View detailed profiles of: