Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 04:37 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,154,156 times

Advertisements

I feel like Jefferson City is so small, especially compared to other state capitals and the major cities of the state (Springfield, KC, and StL). Most other state capitals that are the same size are in states that are not densely populated (EG Kentucky and Frankfort, West Virginia and Charleston) or have put all their eggs in one basket in terms of cities and their size (EG Maryland and Annapolis). Jefferson City is in a prime location, right between StL and KC, and yet it hasn't grown all that much. Is this because it was superseded by Columbia? Because it was bypassed by the Interstate? Or is there some other reason? And will it grow faster in the future, or will it continue to expand at a snail's pace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 07:29 PM

44 posts, read 69,577 times
Very, very conservative. Slow to change. Not on a major interstate.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:51 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,826,168 times
Conservative suburbs grow by leaps and bounds. So no, that's not it.
There are a couple of reasons I can think of: lack of an interstate, as has been mentioned, and the nature of Missouri politics and people. One could wright a book on how Missouri politics affects Jeff City as a city, so I won't go into detail with all that.
It probably isn't a go-getter kind of place. Besides, Missouri has long had two major cities that naturally attract growth and provides most of the amenities that a state its size requires, and two good-sized college towns, so there's really not a lot of demand for Jefferson City to be much more than a place to house the state Capitol.

Last edited by northbound74; 02-28-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 02-28-2014, 11:57 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,523,335 times
It's not in a prime location unless you're traveling by boat.

And it's scarcely the only state capital that isn't a major city or economic powerhouse. Carson city, Salem, Springfield, Frankfort, Juneau, and Montpelier come to mind. Only in large states like Texas and California is state government a powerful economic engine.

I think it's more interesting as to why it was chosen. It had something to do with land values as I recall, as in the land was cheap because it wasn't good farmland. I'm pretty sure the location was chosen at or after the location was chosen.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:27 PM

978 posts, read 2,043,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
It's not in a prime location unless you're traveling by boat.

And it's scarcely the only state capital that isn't a major city or economic powerhouse. Carson city, Salem, Springfield, Frankfort, Juneau, and Montpelier come to mind. Only in large states like Texas and California is state government a powerful economic engine.

I think it's more interesting as to why it was chosen. It had something to do with land values as I recall, as in the land was cheap because it wasn't good farmland. I'm pretty sure the location was chosen at or after the location was chosen.
I'm sure river location had something to do with it as well. NC's capital used to be New Bern because it is on the water. Ideal for commerce.

Most state capitals are large cities, but a number are not. Adding to your list: Pierre, SD and Augusta, ME are both small cities compared to other cities in the state.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:47 AM

44 posts, read 69,577 times
I wasn't referring to conservative by moral issues,(which they are that as well) but by a growth standard. For example, the issue with the convention center(whether or not to build one and where) has been going on for nearly 25 years. They are VERY very slow to make change. I personally think this has something to do with the fact that the town and surrounding towns has a highly dominant Catholic population, who by nature are conservative in growth and change.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:25 PM

26,386 posts, read 46,287,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyme View Post
Agreed. Its location is not very convenient compared to Columbia. States that tend to have a major university in combination with a state capitol tend to fare substantially better over time. Jefferson City also has a fairly significant good old boy network and has not seen much economic growth over time. Columbia also needs more economic growth as well as population growth there has been faster.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:39 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,970,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyme View Post
Being conservative has held Springfield, Missouri and St. Charles from growing.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:41 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,970,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
States that tend to have a major university in combination with a state capitol tend to fare substantially better over time.
Did you mean to say cities? If not, that's just one of those unsupported GS statements of fact I've learned to pass over.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:14 AM

26,386 posts, read 46,287,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Did you mean to say cities? If not, that's just one of those unsupported GS statements of fact I've learned to pass over.
Cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri