Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:21 AM

145 posts, read 655,778 times

Advertisements

I had a great experience at MSU during the second half of my degree program. They do have a decent comp/tech program, but I doubt it is quite as rigorous as some of the other schools that have been mentioned. Come take some campus tours; you'll figure out what will work best pretty easily. Rankings reports are a decent gauge for the overall, but they don't show what colleges are strong and weak in which areas. Missouri State, for example, is known best still yet for what it started out as: a college for teachers. Rolla is known for engineering, MU for journalism, etc. These are not the ONLY things these places have going for them, though, so keep that in mind. You can be in a great program, but if you hate the area, you may so miserable that your grades dive...
As for the residency rates, good luck on that one. Every college is different on the rules of paying residency rates, so be VERY careful not to make any assumptions--get whatever info they give you in writing!
Wherever you choose, hope your child will be happy there and have a lovely experience in MO--it's a beautiful place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 7,692 times
this post is probably too late for the information you wanted in regard to missouri schools.

Computer Science: Rolla for the hardware end, Missouri State Springfield for software side. my son picked Missouri State because they offered a course in computer no one else did...

watch out for that out of state fee...like most states its almost double of instate.

best of luck to you

Old 03-24-2008, 04:20 PM

7 posts, read 27,464 times
Missouri State University is always being put down by the local newspaper, and thier programs seem to be always put on the bad lists. They are always trying to reform blah blah blah. Many teachers come from MSU however. Springfield is a good place to live though. I believe Mizzou is the best (okay, I wont be stuck up and say the best) ONE of the best schools in the state. Not only is it very nice looking, many successful people come from Mizzou and blame thier success on the school. I am only a HS senior, but I have visited Mizzou several times and I know current students who love it. Drury university isn't as great as everyone says, and it's located in a not-so-good neighborhood.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:38 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,694 times
I went to Rolla (UMR for me, always) for my undergrad and have done quite well. Rolla is bland at best as far as college towns go, there is a 3:1 male:female ratio, and the classes are tough, but I actually had a lot of fun there. Rolla is all what you make out of it...its easy to go there, hate the school, and leave every weekend, but with a good group of friends it can be a fun place. I have a lot of very fond memories there.

Mizzou is definitely the flagship university in the state overall and has good programs in most everything offered there. Truman is a great buy and has excellent liberal arts and sciences, and is consistently ranked one of the best undergraduate colleges in the Midwest. For something computer or IST related, Rolla is probably the best choice, as they have been offering a degree program in Information Sciences and Technology for a few years now. Mizzou will get you your traditional big-college experience and a decent degree too. MSU is, IMO, a lower-tier school and really can't compete with Truman, Mizzou, or Rolla for most academics.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:39 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I would look at Rolla (does anyone know what they call that school now??) or University of Missouri- both are better schools to my knowledge than Missouri State.
Rolla is now "Missouri University of Science and Technology"

or MUST...as in MUST pay attention in class or

MUST have lotsa bucks to attend.

or MUST see a female sometime this quarter (ratio is said to be 4-1 boys over girls)

Old 01-26-2010, 11:07 AM

258 posts, read 1,505,170 times
It seems I've offended some good ol folks in Missouri with my comments about colleges. Let me put it in other words, the only universities in Missouri I would personally attend would be: Wash U, SLU, or Drury. I understand UM Rolla is a good school for Engineering and MU is a good school for Journalism, but other programs aren't that great. And what is up with the guy that puts SLU in the same category as UMSL? Have you been to either campus or attended either one? I have and I can tell you that they aren't even close to being in the same category. Which is why one costs $30,000 a year and one costs $5,000 or whatever it is a year. I suppose some people on these boards would consider Ozarks Technical College to be a good school too?

Old 01-26-2010, 12:54 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddharthaGautama View Post
Let me put it in other words, the only universities in Missouri I would personally attend would be: Wash U, SLU, or Drury. I understand UM Rolla is a good school for Engineering and MU is a good school for Journalism, but other programs aren't that great. ... I suppose some people on these boards would consider Ozarks Technical College to be a good school too?
Where did you get your degree? Did it lead you to a career that is profitable and fulfilling?

Is it possible there are many Ozarks Technical College graduates making more money than you and doing more for their community than you?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:42 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddharthaGautama View Post
It seems I've offended some good ol folks in Missouri with my comments about colleges. Let me put it in other words, the only universities in Missouri I would personally attend would be: Wash U, SLU, or Drury. I understand UM Rolla is a good school for Engineering and MU is a good school for Journalism, but other programs aren't that great. And what is up with the guy that puts SLU in the same category as UMSL? Have you been to either campus or attended either one? I have and I can tell you that they aren't even close to being in the same category. Which is why one costs $30,000 a year and one costs $5,000 or whatever it is a year. I suppose some people on these boards would consider Ozarks Technical College to be a good school too?
lol, offended? Hades no.

Amused? Yea...

Especially that its ~2 years for this note from ya... that is STILL filled with inaccuracies - esp. the rubbish about UMR [MS&T] only good for Engineering and MU only for Journalism... as if you've 1st hand knowledge of all of the schools / degree programs from these? Oh, nevermind, you did preface your jibberish with "I understand". Well, fyi, you understand incorrectly.

PS: IMHO its not the school that is necessarily good or not, its the person, their aptitude, their drive, their desire, their dedication. So, FWIW, yea, I would consider OTC to be a good school too - esp. since the term "good" in and of itself is quite ambiguous & mostly worthless.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:53 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,507 times
Well my kids have gone to Missouri State and have done well since Graduation.

hillman

Old 01-27-2010, 11:41 AM

15 posts, read 45,019 times
Hillman I am glad to hear that. My husband just got accepted to Missouri State will be getting his Bachelor degree in Hotel & Restaurant Management. It may not be the hardest school to get into but since he is going to school and working, I think it will be be great for us. I have always loved Springfield and I think that we will enjoy living there. Now the hard part is getting a job lined up before we move!

Stephanie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri