U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,860 times

Advertisements

I lived in SoCal and then Vegas, but was looking to move back to the mid-west. I found a quaint 3-story Greek Revival on the internet, flew out a couple of times to view, fell in love and made my purchase. I've been settled here for about four years and love having it as my home base. Two great homes just went back up on the market--The Boor House and The Wentworth House, check them out. I'm not quite sure with whom they're listed, but the local chamber of commerce should be able to help you out. Enjoy your research and I hope you find something you love, no matter where you choose to settle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,827 times
Default I'd say No

We recently went on a driving trip through the state of MO looking to relocate and Lexington was one of our stops. After spending the afternoon with a real estate agent in the area and looking at several homes there seemed to be a fixation on slavery. Every and I mean every home we looked at had at least one area that was identified as slave quarters. It didn't matter, from 5000 sq ft to just over 2000 if a room was painted aqua green it was slave quarters. And, it was very obvious as we drove around there was an affluent side of town and the poor side of town and the affluent side of town ignored the poor side of town. It was really kind of strange and after a family meeting it made our no list along with Hannibal and the Branson area. On the other hand, Columbia, Moberly, Carthidge, Clarksville, and Marthasville made it to the lets go and check them out again list.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:51 PM

13 posts, read 34,199 times
Why would you consider that strange. That seems as if it would be the norm.

What did you like about the lets go and check them out again listed towns that made them stand out.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboriginal View Post
I am interested in buying a historic house and cannot afford California. I have thought about Lexington Mo. Can anyone give me info? My love is historic homes with high ceilings, lots of fireplaces and character! You know that kind of small kind sit on the porch feeling with nice people in a friendly SAFE environment. I do come from a rather liberal understanding of life, being from NY and now California and have lived all over in an airline career. I am open. I am flexible. I suppose I do not want to be in a closed off political arena but rather a place not ruled by either party, probably would prefer a locale where democrats are favored. Any thoughts?

Maybe there are other towns with excellent historic houses that are a good value? Thanks ever so much.

What about those tornadoes????

hello cboriginal

are you still out there looking. hope this hasn't been discouraging.
i live in lexington and have been hear for about 6 years.
the things that come to mind first thought after reading your post is generaly it's quiet. seems the most excitement or most often is the sherif having to leave town quickly. then you don't hear him for a while. to me the town is layed back but friendly. the whole time i have lived here i have not seen a tornado. yes they have been around, but not in town. i don't think the mayor alows them in town. (humor). i have a web site i would like you to look at. nothing spectacular just some pictures. (spauldco.com) and my self one of these days i plan to take some pictures of the town to post in (city-data.com).

if i can post my email i don'tknow but here goes

[EMAIL="expresso@cebridge.net"]expresso@cebridge.net[/EMAIL]

hope you are content and happy

Old 09-10-2013, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,728 times
Lexington has become a very hard place for older people to maintain their homes. The same city government has been in control for several years and is becoming very dictatorial. It is rather hard to see what the council and mayors intentions are because they have hired a woman from California to run the town as if she owned it. This code lady has found something wrong and expensive to repair on every home in town. To not comply has brought wrath from her and some very expensive fines and threats of jail time for not keeping your property to their personal quality and taste. The buzz around town is that many people are in fear of legal problems and not really in charge of their own property. It has almost turned the whole town into tyranical conversation about what to do about this council and mayor. We do as they say "or else". Please, anyone reading this and considering coming here, DON'T DO IT.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 957 times
As a current resident of Lexington, i would highly recommend finding somewhere else to live and invest. The city inspector is currently passing out letters threatening court appearances and fines over the smallest transgressions. I've lived here 15 yrs and have spent that time and unknown amounts of my life's earnings fixing up an old property that was once quite an eyesore. Yet i routinely receive these threatening letters. It is rude and disrespectful to the extensive efforts i have already made in the past. This is getting out of hand and this city's government needs to understand that we have just been through a large recession and not everyone so readily has the means to cater to the assinine demands this city makes. Property values here are not very good and the whole place is terribly overrated. It seems like the "powers that be" might consider some improvements in their own areas of responsibilities. The infrastructure ( alleys, water drainage, etc) is in high state of disrepair. As they say, " you can't fight city hall", but i do know that i will move somewhere else just as soon as possible. LEXINGTON MO SUCKS!

Old 06-25-2014, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 769 times
I live in Oak Grove, Missouri in Lafayette County and I just love the town of Lexington. I go there to sightsee sometimes, just to look at the old homes. The county courthouse with the Civil War cannonball imbedded in the column is a must see. Anderson House museum is terrific to tour and the entire history of the town is so interesting.
I am dismayed that the problems of the town are being felt by so many people around the country. It speaks to the real problems that do exist in Lexington.
I have always felt there was some underlying cause and effect in Lexington keeping the town from meeting the needs of it's people. The pervasive blight is spreading and it must be the city government that is at fault. I'm sure they will be the first to disagree with that statement. Who else could it be?
There needs to be a revolt with standard American election procedures to throw the bums out once and for all. Until the younger people decide to take things in hand and correct the situation there is little hope for such an historic town to survive. What a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or