Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 11:48 AM

18 posts, read 96,228 times

Advertisements

I am interested in buying a historic house and cannot afford California. I have thought about Lexington Mo. Can anyone give me info? My love is historic homes with high ceilings, lots of fireplaces and character! You know that kind of small kind sit on the porch feeling with nice people in a friendly SAFE environment. I do come from a rather liberal understanding of life, being from NY and now California and have lived all over in an airline career. I am open. I am flexible. I suppose I do not want to be in a closed off political arena but rather a place not ruled by either party, probably would prefer a locale where democrats are favored. Any thoughts?

Maybe there are other towns with excellent historic houses that are a good value? Thanks ever so much.

What about those tornadoes????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 02:12 PM

65 posts, read 389,237 times
Default Not sure about Lexington however ?

You might want to investigate Springfield, Missouri, specifically their historic disctrict on Walnut Street in Springfield. While this is a conservative area for the most part the downtown revitilization that is going on there and the proximity to Missouri State University would make me believe that this would be an area that would be strongly democtratic area and diverse. They do have an arts fest on that same street i believe each year but the entire street is full of old historic homes some have been converted to bed and breakfasts.

If I can help with any further info on this part let me know.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:15 PM

Default well...

Thank you for your reply. I am more interested in historic homes, maybe I didn't say it right! I want a larger area of houses because then I can get history architecture buffs! Lexington was referred to me.

Tornadoes???

Old 12-04-2006, 06:16 AM

169 posts, read 678,614 times
Lexington is a wonderful city. For the longest time I wanted to move there myself but it was too far out for my husband to commute. Lexington has a rich history and its homes are just gorgeous. I grew up and lived west of Lexington until 2003 and would say the area is primarily made up of Democrats. I could be wrong, but that's what impression I had while living in that area.

Tornadoes unfortunately do hit that area but I'm not sure as to how often.

http://www.historiclexington.com/

Old 12-05-2006, 01:16 AM

I feel so bad. I wasn't trying to be uttlerly political. I guess that really came off slanted! I am a very open and flexible person and I have great respect for all. I have looked for a historic home for a very very long time and in many places across the US. Often, I must admit, I am hit with a wave of some group with unexpected enthusiasm, bordering on -you must be like us- excitement. That kind of scares me! And also coming from California, anything goes here and the attitude is just so open. I just want to find a place that isn't too overwhelmed on one side!

I hope I hear some more info on Lexington. Thanks for all your time responding to me!

Old 12-05-2006, 01:15 PM

339 posts, read 1,424,204 times
I grew up near Lexington and still have alot of family in the area. Whenever we go for holidays my wife and I stay at a bed and breakfast there. We always like to drive around town and look at the old houses. We even have one that we have jokingly called "ours" that would be beautiful to restore - it's in bad shape right now.

It doesn't look like I will be making a return to the area anytime soon, but it is at the top of my list of small towns with charm.

Politically the area is filled with conservative democrats; farmer types - those who are democrats because they always have been.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:53 PM

Well, ask your friends if they know more about Lexington and thanks!

Do you think that it would be impossible to get into Kansas City to take art classes?

After reading all the other threads, NOW I am far more threatened by TORNADOES than ... HaHa.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:06 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,204 times
Lexington is about 30 miles from major Kansas City suburbs like Independence and Blue Springs. I think you would find art classes in those cities. You would be about 50 miles from downtown KC.

Don't worry about the tornadoes. They just add a little spice to life. Even the most destructive tornadoes kill very few people. Your greater fear should be getting smooshed by an 18-wheeler on the interstate. I'm not aware of anyone being killed in their basement by a tornado. Besides, I think Lexington's topography (on the river bluff) does something to protect the town from tornadoes. I am not aware of any tornado hitting the town directly. Maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,140 times
Default Lexington. Mo.

Hello,

I have lived in Lexington, Mo. for over 40 yrs. We have over 130 historical homes. We have one of the oldest Court Houses west of the Mississippi river still in used. The Court House was built in 1847. We had three day Civil War battle here. We have 5 or 6 Bed & Breakfast historical homes. You can find out more information about Lexington if you go to this web site: www. lexingtonmo.com

Gary L. Viles Sr.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:14 AM

34 posts, read 106,894 times
I grew up in Lafayette County.

I'd say that Lexington is a safe place. Major crimes only happen once every few years. Of course there is some drugs but my experience is that if you aren't involved you won't even know its happening. I had never seen any drug use personally but there is the meth problem throughout rural America.

I love driving Lexington when I go back and stop at Maid-Rite. There is also a bookstore I enjoy when I go back, River Reader. Cannonball 6 movie theater is also great for the small town. There is several good restaurants, besides that Maid-Rite, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, and Sonic.

Lexington did loose their Pamida (Places, Mattingly/Matco--like a small town K-Mart) so you'll end up going out of town for some things. Lexington lost its KFC & Family Dollar as well.

Please support your local businesses if you do go to Lexington!!!! Harold's Supermarket recently changed to Harold's brother so its Dave's Country Market. For an ALDI's type experience their is Save-A-Lot. There is Dollar General. There is a few mechanics, NAPA, and a muffler/tire shop. There is some restaurants that are high quality for the size of Lexington such as The Brewery, a Mexican place, an Italian, etc. (I think Langdon, the owner is doing some switching so it may be BBQ or something now).

Lexington doesn't provide for the famer's like Higginsville, Richmond, or Carrollton does. No Feldman's or Orscheln farm stores or tractor dealers. There is an MFA elevator. There used to be a Ray-Carroll Co-Op with an Ampride convenience store but I think they're only a pay at the pump fuel station now.

Also, I do think that if you can get into the Wellington-Napoleon school district their is less chance of kids getting caught up into drinking, fighting, and such. But Lexington does seem to offer more artsy (theather, etc.) type of opportunity.

Welllington-Napoleon area does have a lot of German style farmhouses and did at one time have a strong German heritage. I'd say that its German heritage has really dwindled since the early 1970s. Most of the school students probably don't know much about it but I do think that the German heritage does have an influence on the attitudes, thinking, and atmosphere in Wellington & Napoleon.

Lexington has a lot of Italian, German, and old southern names and heritages.
Look at the churches; Italian (& maybe Irish) is reflected by Immaculate Conception Catholic. German's had Trinity United Church of Christ (German Evangelical Synod, then Evangelical & Reformed before becoming UCC) & Grace Lutheran. There is also Presbyterian, Southern Baptist, Methodist, African Methodist-Episcopal, Episcopal, Assemblies of God and I know some others I can't think of right now.

I'd say that Lafayette County has a less liberal outlook than the KC or St. Louis metro. It has a more progressive outlook than most of rural Missouri. It would probably be most like the Jeff/City Columbia area as far as politics go. Ike Skelton would best describe the politics of Lafayette County if you do reserach on him. They like Harry Truman kind of guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri