U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:14 PM

8,551 posts, read 4,658,685 times

Advertisements

Jefferson City is a good place to raise kids but don't be surprised when they all move away when they have a chance. Some will move back because they miss the small town atmosphere. It is a very small town and you will be surprised at the various family connections and relationships - who is related to who, etc. That's pretty common in small towns.

Our biggest current city controversy is how to manage tattoo parlors. The city has just discovered roundabouts so we have several of them and people are still trying to figure them out...no one has died yet.

State government is the biggest industry and that includes the hangers-on (lobbiyists, various political/shadow groups or associations, the Farm Bureau, professional groups) so there is always a background noise of what is or isn't happening in the legislature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 02:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,372 times
Default Jefferson City great for the old not the young

Jefferson City has a great small town feel and you can find really anything you need. That is about the only good things I can say about JC anymore. I just recently moved out of JC for many reasons. Its a terrible place for any young adult to find a job even for the college grads so your either working out of the city or working retail. All my generation does in this town is go to the bar drink and do it all over again and occasionally mix drugs in the "fun night out." Its a great city to find drugs if your looking for that kinda thing especially heroin with its growing use. Even the JCPD said its a growing problem. Go to the local news websites. If your looking for a place thats going to advance and grow JC is not it. Columbia is not a great city either. Crime keeps going up not down.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:31 AM

12,064 posts, read 28,657,966 times
Crime in Columbia is not going up. It's been about stagnant for more than a decade.

//www.city-data.com/city/Columbia-Missouri.html

Old 01-05-2012, 11:05 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,406,358 times
Jeff City I would say is a quiet, quaint little Midwestern river city with Southern influences. It's not small enough to be called a town, but barely large enough to be called a city. It's the state capital, but overshadowed by its big brother to north, Columbia. The atmosphere is definitely conservative. It's got a big religion thing going on...majority Catholic, but with a lot of Southern Baptists and also a decent-sized Lutheran element. I'm not sure about the schools but I doubt I would call them outstanding. Other than the government being located there, i would say the city is pretty laid-back and easy-going.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:44 AM

23 posts, read 25,874 times
Question JPSm why would you say that?

I was considering moving to Jefferson City but came across this post. Why do you think there is no freedom in Jefferson City? Are there any specific incidents that you are referring to? Appreciate your reply.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:23 PM

48 posts, read 96,314 times
I am also interested in learning more about Jefferson City. We were looking at Lebanon last year, but that job didn't work out.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:55 AM

1,947 posts, read 1,998,047 times
Just like this thread (which has managed to grow to Three Whole Pages in seven years), things don't change very much in Jeff, except that they gradually erode over time. Like the economy- Capital Mall was in bankruptcy for about 3-4 years (don't quote me on that) and there've been several people who've tried to come up with some alternative use for it, because obviously, it's a failure as a mall. No shame in that- there's lots of that going around. But most of the private companies that used to employ significant numbers of people have either shrunk (ABB comes to mind) or left town entirely. State government is shrinking too, part of a national trend-- sales tax revenues are flat or declining everywhere, thanks to this thing we are all on here.

The only economic thing I see stirring is the debate over whether to build a convention center. People are (wisely) wary of doing it-- most of the promoters are hucksters of various sorts, looking to score some quick taxpayer money. The development planned for the old prison area has pretty much stopped, along with tourism at the prison itself-- it's now shut down due to a mold problem. I'd say convert it back to Death Row and add some asbestos, except that would violate the cruel and unusual punishment clause.

The best new thing in town IMO is the bike/pedestrian bridge added to the 54/63 bridge across the Missouri. It (finally) links the town to the Katy Trail and on a pretty day, makes for a nice view down the river, with the Capitol on one side and the bluffs and flood plain on the other. I walk from my office down and across the bridge 2-3 days a week at lunch.

If I weren't married to a wife with a good job in Columbia, I might live in Jeff. The library's decent (Columbia's is better), High St. is prettier than its Columbia counterpart, I could hang out at Prison Brews or Paddy Malone's for a liquor-fueled social life and eat interesting food at Everest or Chim's Thai, and there's a Chipotle where I can get a basic Tex-Mex fix. Love Sushi is probably as good as anything in Columbia. The Schnuck's there is an ok grocery store. If I could score one of those older houses west of the Capitol overlooking the river, I'd really like it, but they rarely come up for sale. Amazon delivers there just like they do everywhere else, so I wouldn't be lacking for stuff. I've lived in worse places. The alternative would be a condo at the Lake, but that would be an even more brutal commute than mine is now. And i like the frozen-in-time aspect that's easier to find there than in most places-- the REALLY old-fashioned ice cream parlor at Central Dairy, the strange and interesting menu choices at Zesto's on 50, the meat market on Missouri Blvd.-- those are the ones that come to mind.

Sorry to go on. I know my preferences probably don't match those of most people who would be considering Jefferson City, but there's one person's opinion of the place. Look, it's really easy to go home-shopping from your computer these days, but if I told you where to do it in this post, the mods would delete it, seeing it as competition (it's not). There is good info on city-data.com regarding crime and unemployment and stuff. On this thread, you're far more likely to find people who moved away from Jeff than those who live there now.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:51 PM

8,551 posts, read 4,658,685 times
Jefferson City: Most Beautiful Small Town in America (Rand McNally). Can't disagree... There is an Pride of Place attitude among folks who have lived here.

Jefferson City, Missouri - Best of the Road

Old 10-09-2013, 06:43 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,081,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthawki View Post
So nobody has any "bad" things to say about JC?
My wife worked in JC at the Prison commuted 25 miles. I always liked the town, only problem was getting around in the Winter because of the hills.

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or