U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,656 times

Advertisements

I can offer some observations from a little different point of view. I bought a house in Clarksville eight months ago, after St. Charles County had grown too big and urbanized for me. I had a number of reasons for buying, first and foremost were the historic homes. Louisiana, Hannibal and Clarksville are loaded with some of the most beautiful old brick homes, and you can still pick them up reasonably if you're willing to do some work - mine needs ALOT of work - and are willing to deal with the issues that come with owning an old place. I'm a fanatic on restoring houses using traditional methods, so this was perfect for me. I'm not an artist, though I do own a business (I am a full time coin dealer, with a shop in the suburbs, and I do alot of trade shows).

As it turns out, the decision to buy there was one of the best decisions I've ever made. The people in Pike County are very friendly, and the local government seems to have a decent handle on encouraging tourism, from what I can see. As an example, Clarksville just finished a really neat riverfront project that provides concrete steps and wheelchair access directly to the river for fishing, or just sitting and watching the mississippi.

Fitting in is easy, its just a matter of finding the town that is the right size for you. The only real downsides to the area are that it is a good distance from the suburbs. The hour long commute is worth it for me, but it might not be a good idea for people that like ready access to malls, movie theaters and chain restaurants. Pike county is also absolutely loaded to the hilt with wildlife, overly so, and while the eagles, turkeys etc. are wonderul to see, the deer in the area are drastically overpopulated to the point of being a very real road hazard. Clarksville particularly has a hard water problem, the locals will tell you that you'll need a new hot water heater about once every three years. I believe it, and can relate that my basement has three dead hot water heaters piled up next to the new one (Anyone have any ideas for creative uses for dead hot water heaters?). I'm told that the city government however is working on a new water treatment plant to help solve this issue.

Overall however, its a wonderful place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 09:07 AM

54 posts, read 264,188 times
Smile Hannibal

I live in Hannibal and i think it would be great here. downtown is realy busy during tourist season and definenatly during the forth of july. I have been advertising Hannibal for awhile and i have many people say they think hannibal is great. Im only 17 and i have a love for this town and im trying to get a group of people to go downtown every other tuesday or so and pick up trash and possibly ask the shop owners if they need anything done that we could do.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 11,465 times
My family vacationed at a resort near Clarksville this summer and that area is absolutely beautiful!!!! We loved visiting Clarksville and the stores there. We also frequented Louisiana since Clarksville doesn't have a grocery store. We took a day to drive up to Hannibal and it was absolutely breath-taking. We loved the area for vacationing but it is very rural, so if you are looking for some entertainment, you may want to look somewhere else.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,045 times
Hi--I am planning to move down there as soon as I sell this house in N WI. Initially I was focusing on Hannibal, but now have expanded my search to Louisiana. Does Louisiana have it's own library and grocery store? The town I'm in now is a pop. of 8,000 and a smaller town would be just fine by me.
I am a weaver/spinner/knitter and my daughter does bead jewelery, she's planning an internet business. Does Louisiana have high speed access to the internet? I am very interested in being a part of the 50 miles of Art but know that I am not suited to being a shop owner, I'll be very happy with studio space in my home. Hilly

Old 04-16-2007, 10:40 PM

17 posts, read 60,963 times
Hello SheepLady, Louisiana has a pop. of approx. 4300 people and there are a couple of grocery stores there and a small WalMart. However, WalMart is rumored to be leaving and moving to the Bowling Green area which is about 12 miles west of us.The population here in Clarksville is 490 and we have a small market with most items you would need such as bread, milk, eggs, etc. My wife and I have The Windsor Chair Shop here and there are several artisans here also. My wife also spinns during the 50 Miles of Art Tour and I demo wood working. You can visit our web site at www.TheWindsorChairShop.com or you can also visit the towns official web site at www.ClarksvilleMO.US. AT&T recently got high speed internet service here also. It is quite rural here and with the exception of Louisiana, you would have about an hours drive to just about any where else for any sort of entertainment or what have you. If your looking for reality info, you might want to contact La Nora Burbridge Real Estate at 573 / 754-4669 or check out her web site for some listings at <edit by mod>.

Last edited by Ozarks21; 04-19-2007 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: rules

Old 04-24-2007, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,045 times
Thanks for the info. I lived for 8 years in a town in N Ca that was so small there were NO stop signs even! After a town of 8,000 here in WI something small again sounds nice. I am VERY good at amusing myself (grin) so the need to go searching for entertainment isn't real strong.
I visited Clarksville 3(?) years ago and just loved it. You mentioned your wife spins, is there a spinning/weaving/knitting group in the area that meets maybe monthly? Thx Hilly AKA Sheeplady

Old 05-01-2007, 04:42 PM

17 posts, read 60,963 times
Hi Hilly, there is a spinning group here in Missouri but it is a bit of a distance from us. Caron and a few of the ladies who are in the same reenactment group we belong to usually get together once a month or so. You may want to check out the reenactment group we belong to, www.1stROYALS.org and see just what all it is we do and our schedule of events for the year. You can contact the Commander or his wife Lisa and they will answer any questions you may have. We portray British Grenadiers of the French & Indian War ear and it is very family orienated. The kids in the group have a blast when we do rendevous or events.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,282 times
Default In search of a house

Help! we sold our house outside of st. louis and are currently looking to relocate in the Eolia, Clarksville, Louisiana area. I am looking for and old farm house or historic house on about 10 to 20 acres with a wonderful view of the hills in Pike county. (Something that has potential!) I have two children and would like them to stay in the Clopton or Louisiana school districts. Dont want to spend over $200,000, we are working with a realtor and we just cant find the house of our dreams. If anyone knows of anything around this area please let me know. Maybe a local realtor. Have already seen what Lanora Burbridge has, not exactly what we want, everything is in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri