U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 07:33 PM

22 posts, read 99,807 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a place in the above areas. We have heard it is a great place for artists to live and work. I have posted before but no respones, doesnt anyone live there???? We are hoping to find around 3-5 acres for $10,000 is that possible? Who would we contact? If anyone lives there, and could give us info on the area, and especially if you are artists how do you like it? My husband is Dutch, and a furniture maker, I am from Il. and make jewelry, so will we fit in? Well any and all will be helpful!!! Thanks Kyla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 08:36 PM

3 posts, read 11,349 times
i live in bowling green which is about ten minutes from louisiana and clarksville there isnt a very good chance of getting land that cheap most land goes for around $6500 an acre without a house

Old 12-10-2006, 06:07 PM

4 posts, read 17,200 times
The hobbies which you have would be GREAT for Hannibal, MO if you could get a shop in the tourist district downtown... people love watching craftsmen work because it intrigues them... the shops downtown receive millions of visitors a year.... in fact there is a glassblower you might be able to convince to make cheap beads for your jewelry so that you could claim that everything is from the local area

here is some info on the area where i am from (Hannibal, MO area):

//www.city-data.com/forum/misso...tml#post203542

Old 12-11-2006, 10:13 PM
sbj

1 posts, read 3,559 times
Default RE: Hannibal

I grew up in Hannibal and I guess it's as good as any other place! If you want to buy land I would suggest the Mark Twin Lake area. Contact Coldwell Banker Botts and Company, they can hook you up woth some property!

Old 12-16-2006, 01:49 PM

Smile Thanks for the information and keep it comin

Wow, we were hoping to spend no more than $50,000 for a simple house and a couple of acres. Sounds like that may time a lot of looking!!! I still have my partnership here in guatemala, for our jewelry, but will look up the glass guy when we get there. We will not be wintering in the area, and hope to find maybe a simple cabin. We heard about the 50 miles of art, when we did the arts and craft show there in Oct. Bowling Green, is that part of that 50 miles????? Are shops in the downtown areas of these towns readily available?? Really appreciate your input, as i have not lived in the united states for many years, and have lost touch with what is going on.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:46 AM

17 posts, read 60,949 times
Greetings Kyla,
My wife and I live in Clarksville and we have our business here. We make 18th century colonial style Windsor chairs by hand, keeping an age old tradiction alive. There are several artisan's and craftsmen here that cater to just about every type of medium that tourist and customer's will find for what they are looking for. You can click onto the town web site, www.ClLARKSVILLEMO.US (broken link) and check out what events are scheduled through out the year. You and your husband will fit right in as a furniture maker and jewelry maker. Price's for land and housing is starting to rise here, especially here in Clarksville. For real estate, I highly recommend La Nora Burbridge. She was the agent we used to buy our home and she really works for you to get you the best offer for what you are looking for. You can contact her 573 / 754-4669 or click onto her web site, www.Lanoraburbridge.com. If and when you get a chance to visit Clarksville, be sure and stop by our shop. Anyone in town can direct you to our shop.
Take Care,
Ralph & Caron Quick

Old 02-03-2007, 11:37 AM

Just want to thanks to those who wrote. What are the down sides to living in the area? Is it primarily Bush county, or liberal to moderate??

Old 02-06-2007, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 7,108 times
Hi Kyla,

My husband and I are jewelers residing in Clarksville MO: www.sacrebleu-gallery.com (broken link). It's a sweet little town and we love living here, but if you're interested in moving here to set up a retail arts business, understand that you will need an pre-established and dependable source of income to support yourselves. Unfortunately, at this time, none of the artists who live in Clarksville are able to depend on the income from their retail business as their sole support. There's not strong enough foot traffic or buyers to our town. My husband works outside of our gallery business as well as we have established jewelry wholesale accounts, selling through other boutiques and galleries outside of our immediate area.

Art sales and art shows, in general, are down and off across the United States. Do indepth research before you make the move - all of us in the arts are challenged these days by the undercutting of cheap knock-off art imports. One thing Clarksville prides itself on is that we make and sell our own product - most of us are not supporters of bringing in import art items for resale.

These days, the national politics in this state are almost evenly split. Good luck with your search and relocation.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,108 times
Here's another local resource: www.clarksvillemo.com

Old 02-16-2007, 08:49 PM

3 posts, read 33,027 times
If you want to come to the area check out Bowling Green. It is the county
seat and is great for small town living. Right off the highway but in town you
feel like you are in Mayberry. Just 30 minutes north of Troy and 30 minutes
south of Hannibal. Louisiana is 11 miles away and to the west is Mark Twain
Lake 30 minutes. Everybody is so friendly and housing is affordable. If you want to post reply I can help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri