Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 06:00 PM

93 posts, read 265,068 times

Advertisements

Razzy wrote: But California is expensive, violent, has earthquakes and is being invaded by illegal immigrants

Remember that you are making some huge generalizations that can't all be backed up. For Instance, you say California is violent - which part? Not where I have ever lived. There are violent parts but other parts are very safe. Don't you have violent parts of Missouri? I bet you do, same as the Golden State. California is expensive to a certain extent. It depends on how and where you live. Not everybody has an expensive lifestyle. I know many So Cal residents who live very modest lives and have small mortgages. We also have higher wages than most other states.

We do have earthquakes but you have bitter cold, humidity, bugs the size and small birds and tornadoes. By the way, I'm a native Californian and have been through numerous earthquakes and have never had a single item destroyed by one (Praise God). Most are actually kind of fun. I know that tomorrow the "big one" can occur and not be so fun - but I've been waiting for this one my whole life.

Illegal immigration is here but keep waiting it is coming to your house. I've heard from family in NWA that they are having some issues with it. And our federal government will not support you. It is actually their job to protect our borders, so this is a national problem.

I know California is an easy target for people to criticize it but some of your generalizations are bit far-fetched. Come see some of the positives: beaches, beautiful mountains (I was at Palomar Mountain last week), amazing valleys and deserts, welcoming and tolerant people, best mexican food in the nation, In-N-Out burgers, great wineries (I live in an area with wineries), ethnic diversity, no humidity or monster bugs, big cities and small towns and last but not least the BEST weather in the nation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 07:17 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
Today as I drove home from work with my car windows and sunroof open, I decided I loved it here in Missouri because the air smells so good.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:29 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31st State View Post

We do have earthquakes but you have bitter cold, humidity, bugs the size and small birds and tornadoes. By the way, I'm a native Californian and have been through numerous earthquakes and have never had a single item destroyed by one (Praise God). Most are actually kind of fun. I know that tomorrow the "big one" can occur and not be so fun - but I've been waiting for this one my whole life.
I know California is an easy target for people to criticize it but some of your generalizations are bit far-fetched. Come see some of the positives: beaches, beautiful mountains (I was at Palomar Mountain last week), amazing valleys and deserts, welcoming and tolerant people, best mexican food in the nation, In-N-Out burgers, great wineries (I live in an area with wineries), ethnic diversity, no humidity or monster bugs, big cities and small towns and last but not least the BEST weather in the nation!
31st. You are so right, I've always said earthquakes are overrated...With all the Humidty, bird size bugs and tornados it's a wonder that anyone could live in such a God -Forsaken country as Missouri..Hell with just those bumps they call mountains, those backward folks have'nt ever seen a real mountain like WE have in CAlifornia..No fast food joints on every corner, a complete lack of Mexicans and Mexican food, a total lack of ethnic diversity, which us Californians have come to celebrate, Why we encourage the flying of the Mexican flag during Cinco De Mayo...and Oh my God, Like, they don't have any Starbucks,,For Real.........and of course OUR California Weather just is to die for......Help me spread the word 31, CAlifornia is great and open for bussiness, send us for tired, your hungry, your poor, We'll raise taxes on the working so the free loaders can live in the house next door.....Yes California is great, spread the word, Why would anyone want to live in a ass backward place like Missouri, is beyond me.........
How was that Ob and Curm......

Old 07-19-2010, 08:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
31st. You are so right, I've always said earthquakes are overrated...With all the Humidty, bird size bugs and tornados it's a wonder that anyone could live in such a God -Forsaken country as Missouri..Hell with just those bumps they call mountains, those backward folks have'nt ever seen a real mountain like WE have in CAlifornia..No fast food joints on every corner, a complete lack of Mexicans and Mexican food, a total lack of ethnic diversity, which us Californians have come to celebrate, Why we encourage the flying of the Mexican flag during Cinco De Mayo...and Oh my God, Like, they don't have any Starbucks,,For Real.........and of course OUR California Weather just is to die for......Help me spread the word 31, CAlifornia is great and open for bussiness, send us for tired, your hungry, your poor, We'll raise taxes on the working so the free loaders can live in the house next door.....Yes California is great, spread the word, Why would anyone want to live in a ass backward place like Missouri, is beyond me.........
As the Master said to me just the other day, you learn quickly and you're not even here yet.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:46 PM

Default scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Cali,

Nice sarcasm, however you missed my point. My main point was to defend my state from someone making huge negative overgeneralizations about the Golden State - kinda like you're doing.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:29 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Today as I drove home from work with my car windows and sunroof open, I decided I loved it here in Missouri because the air smells so good.
You must have avoided all the CAFOs. Ignorance is bliss.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:10 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31st State View Post
Cali,

Nice sarcasm, however you missed my point. My main point was to defend my state from someone making huge negative overgeneralizations about the Golden State - kinda like you're doing.

Your point is not missed, it simply misses the mark in the respect that, comparitively, CA is overcrowded, expensive, home to far too many illegal aliens and has a significant crime problem.

But of course, no self-respecting Californiophile would ever even think of moving to a back woods, backward, back to the boonies place like Missourah!

Old 07-21-2010, 10:41 AM

We also have higher pay, lots of wide open space (remember it is a huge state), and many very safe places.

However, I agree with you on the illegal aliens, this is a problem that impacts education and hospitals.

My point is that not all of these "problem" are a deep-seated as some think. Others are problematic. My biggest concern for my state is the anti-business attitude and strict regulations we put on businesses. This is a real concern. But the crime problem is contained to certain areas, this is not a valid critique of the whole state. And pay is much better than most states. I've looked into other states to work and I cannot make the move. Recently, I looked into Arkansas and I started laughing at their pay schedule.

I don't think people from Missouri are backward. I would never say that or think it. I have family in the river valley in Arkansas and they aren't backward - well, except for a couple of them.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:32 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
31st, One thing you should know is Curmudgeon is a retired Police Officer from California...So he pretty much know what he speaks about crime, and yes he'd and I will agree there are tons of very safe places in the Golden State. I do think alot of the problems are deep seated because of our very Liberal Media and Politicians,
But this forum and thread are suppose to be about the attraction of Southwest Missouri, not the defense of California. Some folks simply stated why they had left one place for another, it's thier perception or opinion and until we have walked a mile in thier shoes, all we will have is our perception and opinion, Mine and Curm's differ from yours, your happy where your at, great stay there...me I'm gone in 1853 more days.....Adios Amigo...ps you better learn Spanish

Old 07-21-2010, 08:07 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
---------me I'm gone in 1853 days---

That's longer than a military enlistment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri