Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2018, 08:00 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
If I was Greitens I would ask for change of venue.

As I said before, I think Greitens ended up being the governor for a couple reasons. First and main reason is many democrats like in other elections crossed over and voted for him in the primary thinking he'd be the weakest and easiest to beat. Second there was a lot of people running for the Republican nomination.

This is why closed primaries is needed.

If it wasn't as crowded and didn't have as many people crossing over, then Peter Kinder likely would have been governor right now. He has name recognition, even won re-election in 2008 which was a disaster in Missouri and across the country for Republicans. Kinder is also 110 pro gun and pro life.

Greitens won simply because he didn't have a (D) by his name. Even then Koster only lost by about 6 points. Also, Koster was once a Republican and came out as pro gun and tried to sound more conservative which is why he didn't do as terrible and got more votes and because of his name.

The problem in Missouri now is you run someone liberal like Stacey Newman for governor you're going to get slaughtered at the polls due to being so far to the left. Like Jefferson County for example at one time would vote democrat for governor. The county is very pro gun. You run an rabid anti gunner like Newman and they won't vote for her.

You saw what happened to One Term Bob in the 2004 election after he vetoed CCW, vetoed an abortion bill and had confederate flags removed. He lost his re-election bid to Claire. Something that is almost unheard of.
I think they did. He has a very good legal defense team. The odds of conviction are slim. However, Greitens political career appears toast either way from what I'm hearing for some plugged in state pols. I mean, no one likes the guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 08:11 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I think they did. He has a very good legal defense team. The odds of conviction are slim. However, Greitens political career appears toast either way from what I'm hearing for some plugged in state pols. I mean, no one likes the guy.
I agree. If he's not impeached, like I said in my edited post just now I wonder if he will still resign OR run for re-election in 2020. If he does run for re-election it most certainly will be a crowded field again and he will likely lose to someone like Peter Kinder or Catharine Hanaway.

I so wish Kinder was Lt. Governor because if GReitens stepped down or impeached then he would be the governor.

I have to say Todd Richardson is playing this smart and buying time.

The problem you have is if you rush to impeach him and you impeach him before the trial and then he's found not guilty at the trial then you have the egg in your face. Not all Republicans, but a number of his supporters will be VERY angry about this and not vote or vote third party in Nov if their rep voted for impeachment. They will be p*ssed he was impeached before his day in court. Remember another poll just came out and he has approval rating from 57 percent republicans polled with 12 percent undecided I think.

However these new charges adds a whole new wrench in it since the trial would be later in the year.

What do you think of governor Matt Bevin of KY right now? He too sounds like a huge problem there and is very unpopular with the people of KY including a number of Republicans.

KY doesn't have the super majorities Missouri has and only 2 years ago flipped republican in their state house. Many worry this set the Republicans back for many years in KY now with the pension and teacher issues.

If this article is correct, he sounds even more unpopular in KY than Eric Greitens is in MO right now, especially after Bevin pulled a Todd Akin last week. The general assembly in KY also has a super low rating. Not good for the newly elected republican majority.

http://www.kentucky.com/news/politic...209368269.html

Old 04-22-2018, 08:34 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
The governor made another stop, this time in Licking, MO.

Even with what's going on it still seems a lot of Republicans, his supporters are still going to his appearances and such outside of St. Louis and KC. Granted this appearance was in deep read southern MO Ozarks.

You would think in most of MO these appearances wouldn't draw many people due to the cheating scandal and being the bible belt you'd think they'd discard him and call for his head.

Could it also be that politics are so partisan now? Really only got two choices. The very liberal democrat party or the Republican with no grey area and better to support someone like Greitens than wanting the liberal alternative.

40 years ago this would be a lot different as there was less partisan between the two parties, especially in conservative leaning states like Missouri. Even 30 years ago there was more overlapping between the two parties with each party still sharing the same views one certain matters. Now both parties hardly agree on anything. Democrats back then outside of the metro areas were still fairly moderate and some conservative so if you didn't like the republican candidate you could vote for a conservative democrat. Now you really have no choice to vote the republican.

John Kennedy for example was a lot more conservative than the modern democrats.

In rural Missouri, embattled Gov. Eric Greitens ignores scandal in speech to supporters | Law and order | stltoday.com
There are no moderate democrats although our Missourah Gal Claire tries to pull it out every election, so far with success.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
There are no moderate democrats although our Missourah Gal Claire tries to pull it out every election, so far with success.
Not anymore. The last few moderate ones were left in Jefferson County but the 2012 election cycle they were finally voted out and flipped to republican. Ben Hill is the last remaining one in Missouri of Hillsboro. He stuck by his vote and aided in the veto override of Jay Nixon on SB656.

One of the seats narrowly flipped democrat in the MO house last month. VERY low voter turnout and was likely mostly union member families voting. I would expect this fall it goes back republican with a normal voter turnout.

I still voted for Todd Aiken. There is no way I would vote for her or throw my vote away third party. Some times you gotta plug your nose and vote. Same thing in 2006. I hate Jim Talent because he voted for the Assault Weapons ban in 1994. if he didn't vote it wouldn't have passed. I still voted for him in 2006 though.

A lot of voters are "low information voters" as Limbaugh puts it. If a campaign ad or TV news says something it just has to be true. They're easily persuaded by peer pressure and the media.

I mean, you see 19 year olds eating tide pods, snorting condoms and binge drinking to death and they vote. do you really think they don't get influenced by the media easily?

It will be interesting to see how KY goes this fall. Matt Bevin and the Republicans are hated in KY right now. Their house will likely go back to democrat control. I wonder if the dems there are running as the old moderate ones like in KY in the past or if they're running on liberal platforms.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:13 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
The last election was a mess. We had Koster, a former Republican, against Greitens, a former Democrat. I think people were confused. There was almost no difference in their platforms.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The last election was a mess. We had Koster, a former Republican, against Greitens, a former Democrat. I think people were confused. There was almost no difference in their platforms.
True. However, like Nixon, especially if he was elected to a second term he'd like would turn more anti gun and liberal once he can't be elected governor again and only thinking about running for president.

I would have thought Greitens would have done better against Koster than he did. I do think the two gun ads did help Greitens get a few votes, especially in places like Jefferson County and St. Louis county with swing voters who are pro gun though. St. Louis county might look democrat on most elections but there is a pro gun presence in the county. There are a lot of gun shops in the county and a number of gun ranges too. In fact for a metro area, St. Louis county has a good number of gun shops and gun ranges in the area. Far more than the cities here in Florida do and a lot nicer ranges too.

South county, west county and up by Bridgeton there are a lot of gun shops and ranges.

Of course Koster wasn't going to run an anti gun campaign. Running at the state level in Missouri on an anti gun platform is disaster.

St. Louis and KC might have a large demanding bimboes presence, but they're not welcomed in most of the state.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:00 PM

WOW.

Lots of news today in the Greitens cases. This case is really blowing up on Kim Gardner now and making her look stupid more as each day passes. I wonder if this might just get tossed out by the trial date. Also looks like a democrat donor donated 100k to the lawyers of the ex husband.

The sex abuse case against Greitens is really looking like a sham now. If this was indeed a democrat hit job which is becoming more apparent, this could really clobber them in Missouri especially. Granted there is not many more seats the Republicans can gain since most of the democrat seats remaining are in democrat safe districts in the house and senate.

As for the second case, still too early to tell. If the attorney general is taken out of the process and the case is dropped this could really hurt Hawley in the Republican senate primary in August with Republicans taking their anger out on him for going after the governor.

This is why impeachment shouldn't be rushed so fast. Besides, many Republicans are so eager to impeach him because they don't like him and want to install Mike Parson who is one of them and find any excuse to throw Greitens out.

Greitens' lawyers seek to disqualify St. Louis prosecutors; lawyer for accuser's ex received $100,000 anonymous payment | Law and order | stltoday.com

This whole thing is so bizarre. If it indeed is a hit job it could help the Republicans in Missouri in nov off set the blue wave hitting in most other states.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:20 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
I thought I heard yesterday, that now prosecutors are seeking a felony charge on Greitens.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I thought I heard yesterday, that now prosecutors are seeking a felony charge on Greitens.
Yea, that's last weeks news for the donor thing. The first charge is also a felony that he has a trial date next month for.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:31 PM

Getting even more interesting. Judge wants the defense to give him a list of prosecutors.

Kim Gardner says she's more than ready to start the second case against Greitens.

LOL. 5 days ago she got the evidence from Josh Hawley and she's already ready to go to trial ROFL in 5 days time.

I hope the case if not thrown out gets assigned to a different county. In a way you'd rather want Kim to be the prosecutor at the trial so she screws up so bad you're acquitted or the case is mistrial and thrown out.

Even on the stltoday article which usually most of the comments are liberals, even there most are saying this is simply BS now and it's a witch hunt.

Greitens case: Lawyers must come up with list of special prosecutors…just in case | FOX2now.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri