U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 03:37 PM

16 posts, read 54,561 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of your thoughts. The town we live in now, I was raised here and my dad moved here from Willow Springs in the late 40's with what appeared to be some mass exodus of all the cousins. :-) So I am related to EVERYONE and sometimes that is not a good thing. :-) I love my family, but it would be nice to have a little space.

We attend a Baptist church right now, but my hubby was raised Assembly of God. I was raised a Baptist...my dad being from Missouri, that is what he was raised as.

Is there any true difference between Missouri and Arkansas? We are looking at both states.

Thanks so much! You guys are great!

Kris
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 06:18 PM

9 posts, read 32,940 times
you might look at the salem area im mo. there are two saddle clubs and lots of horse people around here

Old 03-27-2008, 01:59 PM

26 posts, read 85,954 times
I have a 3 bed/2 bath for sale on one acre oustide of town...with some fencing you could house your horses right here. Hay is pretty cheap here. Propery also has a livestock pond for watering. If that isn't enough the neighbor has 8 acres with a barn for a reasonable price, but has no water no electric...etc. Something to consider....maybe buy a small place whilst you look for the ideal spot.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:11 PM

26 posts, read 85,954 times
Hartville area, bout 35 miles east of Springfield, population 607 is very very very friendly to outsiders. I moved here 2 years ago...and just absouletly love it. I've broken down on side of road several times and it wasn't but a minute and someone would help me. I will dearly miss this area...and all the friends I have here. But medical reasons are forcing me to sell my house and move to oregon to be near family.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:37 PM

1,635 posts, read 3,458,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris0805 View Post
Thanks for all of your thoughts. The town we live in now, I was raised here and my dad moved here from Willow Springs in the late 40's with what appeared to be some mass exodus of all the cousins. :-) So I am related to EVERYONE and sometimes that is not a good thing. :-) I love my family, but it would be nice to have a little space.

We attend a Baptist church right now, but my hubby was raised Assembly of God. I was raised a Baptist...my dad being from Missouri, that is what he was raised as.

Is there any true difference between Missouri and Arkansas? We are looking at both states.

Thanks so much! You guys are great!

Kris
Hi, Kris!

Welcome to the forum! I can't offer any more than what these great people have offered for horse property but I can respond to this post of yours. There are TONS of Baptist and Assembly of God churches in MO. There are Bible Colleges for both of them in Springfield and I know the AG Headquarters is there, too. There are more colleges there than in any city I've ever known of!

I lived in between Little Rock and Conway AR years ago and found it to be such a southern state with the accents being so much stronger and they are quite confederate minded, if you will. MO is actually considered a mid-western state and there are fewer people with accents. MO is also considered a Yankee northern state by those in the south even though that is debatable. It is actually quite an interesting story. Here's a couple of interesting tidbits: Missouri had two State governments during the Civil War, one seceded from the Union and joined the Confederacy, the other remained loyal to the Union. Missouri became the 12th State admitted in the Confederate States of America. Of course, that was then. (Btw, here's the link for that info: Amazing Facts of Civil War Missouri (broken link))

In SW MO, our TV stations cover NW AR counties, as well, so we get to see the weather changes. The further south you go, the warmer it is year round. It seems like I see more severe weather coming north out of LA into AR but I've never compared the two areas officially or anything like that. Since I've only been here in MO a year and a half, I probably shouldn't even have an opinion, yet. Okay, I'm gonna get quiet and listen to what others have to say.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:29 PM

Thank for replying! Yes, I keep forgetting to mention that my husband did attend Evangel College in Springfield for a year...maybe a little longer than that. Right now, we are really just kinda praying about where God wants us. We don't want to go if we aren't supposed to, but we are READY if that is what He has planned! Thanks for the trivia too!

Kris

Old 03-28-2008, 04:31 PM

by the way, from the little research i have done, it seems that Arkansas prices are quite a bit higher than MO. True?

Kris

Old 03-28-2008, 04:41 PM

5,812 posts, read 17,691,155 times
Quote:
Thank for replying! Yes, I keep forgetting to mention that my husband did attend Evangel College in Springfield for a year...maybe a little longer than that. Right now, we are really just kinda praying about where God wants us. We don't want to go if we aren't supposed to, but we are READY if that is what He has planned! Thanks for the trivia too!

Kris
I have friends who went to CBC and some others that live out that direction. With the hills and everything, it's just beautiful out there.

I'm not sure about Arkansas being more expensive. Apparently (from what I've heard) Arkansas has a fairly high amount of illegal immigrants, but I'm not sure how that would affect prices of stuff.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:43 PM

1,635 posts, read 3,458,041 times
Quote:
...Right now, we are really just kinda praying about where God wants us. We don't want to go if we aren't supposed to, but we are READY if that is what He has planned! Thanks for the trivia too!

Kris
That's exactly the kind of prayers you should be praying so that's good news, Kris! That's what we did...and our outcome was to find ourselves here in the Springfield area. It is exciting to let God be God and see what happens!

YW for the trivia...being into genealogy, you might imagine that history also interests me.

I hope you'll keep us in the loop as you have news to share...whatever it is and wherever you wind up going...or not.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:21 PM

thank you mrsgenealogy! I definitely hope to keep in touch with this board. You all sound so friendly and wonderful. My hubby is kinda looking at jobs (schoolteacher) so we will see what doors open!

Kris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri