Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:57 PM

870 posts, read 3,082,229 times

Advertisements

If you need a Bass Pro fix, that'd be where to get it! There's Fantastic Caverns, too! The only ride thru cave in the US. Branson is sorta on that route, if you stray just a tad, and there are tons of things to do there! Don't forget Eureka Springs for quaint shops and historical buildings.
Enjoy your stay!!

Last edited by Darlynn0217; 04-09-2008 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: forgotten "c"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 04:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,404 times
jrw2-darlyn0217

Eminence looks alittle too far for me to travel to on this vaca. Looks like a really nice area. What is the "Ozarks National Scenic Riverways"?

I'm actually staying in Holiday Island up the road from Ureka Springs. I'm taking the wife over there for some spa action. Can't wait! We're both burned out at work and need the get away and pampering.

9 days and a wakeup

Old 04-21-2008, 04:07 PM

10 posts, read 22,055 times
Default The Empire strikes back!

Hello all,

We have finished the major preparations to list our house! Also had a couple reminders of why we are moving after all...The agent we are working with was talking about similar listings, prices and so on. When she said about one that the taxes weren't too bad-less than $5000.00, that was one mental jolt.
After she left, wife and I went out for groceries, and got another jolt. We were on the highway, signalling a left turn into the mall, young lady in a car was pulling out of the mall, she was accross the stop line, and had to wait almost 4 seconds for us to pull off the highway and out of her way. We smiled at her and waved, she yelled "GET THE F*** OUT OF THE WAY!" Caused both of us to burst out laughing, I mean what else can you do!
Last June we stopped in at a Realtor's office, there were two teenaged boys there, sitting in the only two chairs in the waiting room. These young men were not visably tatooed, pierced or shaggy. Baseball hats had the bills to the front, pants were belted at the waist, work shoes were completely laced up, and showed grass stains from lawn mowing. Both stood up, met my eyes, had a firm handshake and spoke in audible voices to offer us their seats.....mam and sir. Couple of real desperados!
More trivial small things, I know. But maybe not so small after all. 4 more weeks!

Rustic1

Old 04-21-2008, 07:45 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,655,212 times
4 more weeks! 4 more weeks! Come on home, Rustic Ones!!!

Old 09-20-2008, 12:40 PM

43 posts, read 161,523 times
Rustic1: Yes, MO has many wonderful people. It is also part of the bible belt. I hate it that Meth has come into MO so heavily, but we can all help out by keeping an eye out and reporting bad behavior. If you have never lived there before, there are many wonderful things to check out. Ste. Genevieve has a great yearly French festival in August. St. Louis has the great Cardinals. Branson has Silver Dollar City and wonderful musical events. Herman and St. Francious County have winerys. It's just a great place to live. The thing I like the most is smaller towns, slower pace of life, caring people. Where'd you decide to settle?

Old 09-21-2008, 10:13 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Now I KNOW why I'm attracted to NE MO. If the SW is attracting lots of Californians I want to be in the opposite corner of the state from them, and I'm a native Californian. If I wanted to be around a bunch of left coasters I'd stay where I am in Sacramento.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:17 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Now I KNOW why I'm attracted to NE MO. If the SW is attracting lots of Californians I want to be in the opposite corner of the state from them, and I'm a native Californian. If I wanted to be around a bunch of left coasters I'd stay where I am in Sacramento.
NE Missouri is the right place to go to avoid the transplant crowd. NE Missouri has not seen much in-migration from other places AT ALL for the most part. A few exceptions exist in some of the rural areas where packing plants exist like in Sullivan County.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
NE Missouri is the right place to go to avoid the transplant crowd. NE Missouri has not seen much in-migration from other places AT ALL for the most part. A few exceptions exist in some of the rural areas where packing plants exist like in Sullivan County.
Perfect! That's what we want. We prefer a sense of history and tradition to a fast-paced, "progressive" existence and mobile population. We were both military brats, and I spent many years in it myself, and have lived other places so the planned move next spring will be an adventure for us, not something that's daunting.

Thanks for your response.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:48 PM

43 posts, read 161,523 times
We prefer the eastern part to the western part. The whole state is nice though. It's easy to get around and has a lot to offer. You can live in a small town, but are fairly close to either KC, St.L or Spgfld. A great book is "Off the Beaten Path - Missouri" by Patti DeLano. I have the eighth edition. We also love to go antiquing. There are lots of auctions, flea markets and antique shops.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner7 View Post
We prefer the eastern part to the western part. The whole state is nice though. It's easy to get around and has a lot to offer. You can live in a small town, but are fairly close to either KC, St.L or Spgfld. A great book is "Off the Beaten Path - Missouri" by Patti DeLano. I have the eighth edition. We also love to go antiquing. There are lots of auctions, flea markets and antique shops.
Even more perfect! Gotta keep a close eye on my wife when it comes to the antique shops, though. She loves them. Thanks for the book referral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri