Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 04:41 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times

Advertisements

Without a doubt from all the stuff I've read, Missouri definitely has a draw to it that its fellow Midwestern states cannot match. My dad grew up in Southwest Missouri...at the time it was NOT booming...Joplin and Springfield were completely different places. The Lead Belt had completely dried up I believe around the time and maybe they were still reeling. But the fact that Southwest Missouri is so far south in climate and that it has nice scenery and low housing prices, as others have said, likely explains the reason why it has the ability to garner so many people from California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 05:07 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Without a doubt from all the stuff I've read, Missouri definitely has a draw to it that its fellow Midwestern states cannot match. My dad grew up in Southwest Missouri...at the time it was NOT booming...Joplin and Springfield were completely different places. The Lead Belt had completely dried up I believe around the time and maybe they were still reeling. But the fact that Southwest Missouri is so far south in climate and that it has nice scenery and low housing prices, as others have said, likely explains the reason why it has the ability to garner so many people from California.
MO has not received as much in-migration lately because the unemployment rate has been increasing, and new job growth has been slowing in many areas of the state.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:23 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
MO has not received as much in-migration lately because the unemployment rate has been increasing, and new job growth has been slowing in many areas of the state.
Can the same also not be said for pretty many other states? Michigan and Ohio in particular have it even worse than Missouri does...job opportunity in these states are terrible in addition to the industry, although maybe not as much in the rural parts because rich soil covers a slightly greater area of those states than in Missouri. The reason Missouri is suffering certain unemployment rates in the rural areas is because Ozark soil is too rocky to grow crops out of, although the climate is certainly proper for crops...one just needs to irrigate and enrich the soil to get things better done...but Missouri has rich soil in many parts of the state. Southwest Missouri actually has rich farmland in some places...I saw tons of cornfields around Monett, the town where my grandmother is buried.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:09 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Can the same also not be said for pretty many other states? Michigan and Ohio in particular have it even worse than Missouri does...job opportunity in these states are terrible in addition to the industry, although maybe not as much in the rural parts because rich soil covers a slightly greater area of those states than in Missouri. The reason Missouri is suffering certain unemployment rates in the rural areas is because Ozark soil is too rocky to grow crops out of, although the climate is certainly proper for crops...one just needs to irrigate and enrich the soil to get things better done...but Missouri has rich soil in many parts of the state. Southwest Missouri actually has rich farmland in some places...I saw tons of cornfields around Monett, the town where my grandmother is buried.
Well, the economy is the main concern for many right now obviously. The reason why the Great Plains states have lower unemployment rates are because so many of the younger people leave for larger urban areas after graduation. This creates a brain drain in many rural areas, but also allows for a labor shortage in some rural counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri