U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 07:29 AM

393 posts, read 1,621,396 times

Advertisements

Finally made it to Springfield, and it's everything as advertised by you folks. I think I've found a home in this area. The people have been friendly, the area is just beautiful, even in the gray of winter. I want to thank all of you for all the information given to all of us looking into this lovely area. You helped make me feel good about coming here. We actually moved before actually ever physically coming here first! Now we will settle into looking around the different areas so we can purchase some property, renting right now. Will stay within commute to Springfield, as I am hospital RN that plans to work there. I just feel so relaxed to be here, and the traffic on a weekend before Christmas is not as bad as what I left in Florida. I am just so happy and thrilled to be here, I'm about to bust!! Thanks again, and will probably ask more questions as we narrow our town choice down over then next few months, and I feel sure I will get the most honest answers from you all.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 08:38 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,244,131 times
Thumbs up Welcome to Springfield!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post
Finally made it to Springfield, and it's everything as advertised by you folks. I think I've found a home in this area. The people have been friendly, the area is just beautiful, even in the gray of winter. I want to thank all of you for all the information given to all of us looking into this lovely area. You helped make me feel good about coming here. We actually moved before actually ever physically coming here first! Now we will settle into looking around the different areas so we can purchase some property, renting right now. Will stay within commute to Springfield, as I am hospital RN that plans to work there. I just feel so relaxed to be here, and the traffic on a weekend before Christmas is not as bad as what I left in Florida. I am just so happy and thrilled to be here, I'm about to bust!! Thanks again, and will probably ask more questions as we narrow our town choice down over then next few months, and I feel sure I will get the most honest answers from you all.....
Well welcome to Springfield!!! I hope you missed the storm! I finally can see my lawns breaking through the snow and it's disappearing fast now that the weather is much warmer. It is a wonderful place to live and you'll discover what part appeals to you with time spent running around and familiarizing yourself with the city. It took me about two months of driving around to get a mental picture of where everything is and when I could finally navigate with knowledge of where I was going. I stayed the first seven months off National at Kingsley St. at the Extended Stay America (good place, friendly management/crew who treated me like family), so I grew familiar with the southern part of Springfield and most people seem to tend to want to live south of there or to the east, east of 65. I ended up in the north, about 7 miles north of I-44 between 13 and H Highway and I love it up here. I'm a very, very happy new Missourian and everyone had been exceptionally kind whom I've met and encountered. I think you will fit in fine and find this area offers and exceptionally high quality of life! I love it too

Old 12-11-2006, 12:29 PM

65 posts, read 358,096 times
Default Welcome

Welcome to the area,

Hope you find it to be a home for you, several friends of mine have relocated from the Florida area and found Missouri to be an awesome place to live.

Should you need some info on any of the hospitals let me know my wife may be able to assist she is currently a RN at a local hospital in Springfield.

Again, welcome to the area.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:00 AM

393 posts, read 1,621,396 times
Wink Friendly people everywhere

You all are the friendliest people I have encountered in quite awhile, and are finding this area to be quite friendly also, Christmas rush aside. I look forward to exploring the area and finding home here after researching and searching many other potential places. This has been a very researched move, and we researched, explored, and rejected many other cities/towns in many other states before making this decision. thanks again.....

Old 01-23-2017, 01:17 PM

10 posts, read 6,781 times
and 11 years later, how's it now? I grew up in Carthage and looking to come back to sw mo from fl.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:30 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,009,685 times
Saw your other post. Overall I like Missouri more than FL. Florida is currently a purple state and Trump won by just about 2 points. Trump won Missouri by almost 19 points! Missouri is more conservative than Florida now. Florida is becoming more of a democrat leaning state because of all the influx of people. Just from my experience, here in Florida the state seems more liberal than Missouri.

The thing that saves us is that the governor is elected in midterm elections that have republican turnout and allow republicans to narrowly win. Rick Scott barley won both times. If he was running in 2008 and 2012 he would have lost. Based on our demographics I expect us to have a democrap for the next governor and it won't be the Chris Koster type of Democrat but the liberal southeast Fl types. Yikes!

Old 01-23-2017, 02:14 PM

10 posts, read 6,781 times
We'll just have to keep voting the democraps out of office. All of the conservatives in N FL came out to vote -- I remember watching that night when Hillary came out ahead of Trump, but then I saw all of tampa, Orlando, and Miami-dade, broward, pbc, had reported in but not many counties in N FL so I knew Trump was gonna pull ahead.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:49 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,009,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylon123 View Post
We'll just have to keep voting the democraps out of office. All of the conservatives in N FL came out to vote -- I remember watching that night when Hillary came out ahead of Trump, but then I saw all of tampa, Orlando, and Miami-dade, broward, pbc, had reported in but not many counties in N FL so I knew Trump was gonna pull ahead.
North Florida is the heaviest Republican voting areas. However those are also the least populated areas of the state because north Florida is not seeing much growth. In fact, many of the rural counties in north Florida have lost population since the recession while central and south Florida continues to explode like Tampa, Orlando, southeast Florida.

It's the same in most states though. Less populated areas are not gaining and losing population.

Southwest Florida continues to explode but it's mostly older people from the northeast and upper Midwest moving down here. The bad thing about here is that it only beings healthcare jobs or service industry jobs which pay really low. Other than healthcare that is why Florida jobs pay so crappy is because it's a service based economy here. Not much industrial industry or manufacturing or tech.

I just really dislike my move back here. It's just way too crowded now, but it's the Yankees from the northeast that are flocking here in huge numbers and they bring their liberal ways to Florida. I can see Florida being a liberal leaning state 10 years from now.

I of course voted for Trump as I hate the Democrats, but we really lucked out that Hillary was a toxic candidate and turned off a lot of swing voters which imo caused Trump to win Florida. People who voted third party or voted for Trump because they disliked Hillary so much. If the Democrats had a solid candidate, they would have won Florida.

As I said, Florida seems a lot less conservative than Missouri is due to the influx of Hispanics and Haitians into the state along with all the New Englanders moving here. Outside of KC, Stl and Boone County, Missouri is deep red. Just about all the counties outside of KC and Stl voted for Trump at least 70 percent, and a number of them Trump got over 80 percent of the votes. Here in Florida not too many counties like that.

the Republicans here in Florida are a lot more moderate, that's for sure. You don't see them submit the type of bills that Republicans do in Missouri.

There is a lot of apathy for gun rights here in Florida. It looks like licensed open carry along with getting rid of some of the gun free zones is once again dead this year and swept under the rug.

Missouri seems to also have a lot more gun culture too. The ranges up there indoors and outdoors are great and there are a lot of them. Here in Florida on the West coast it really sucks compared to all the indoor ranges and two area gun clubs St. Louis has. Can't even compare.

I wish I stayed put in Missouri. It's just getting way too crowded down here combined with cost of living, low paying jobs, and moderating politics is not something I like. At least in Missouri you got constitutional carry and gun rights keep getting better each year. Here in Florida we did get a 10 dollar reduction in CCW permit fees last year passed!!!!! Yay!

Here in Southwest Florida other than healthcare, retail, or restaurant jobs there simply isn't many good paying jobs here and the service jobs most cut hours big time in the summer. It's hard even finding a job around here.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:22 PM

23,601 posts, read 32,687,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylon123 View Post
and 11 years later, how's it now? I grew up in Carthage and looking to come back to sw mo from fl.
Sunshine girl hasn't posted since July of 2009.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:24 PM

23,601 posts, read 32,687,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
There is a lot of apathy for gun rights here in Florida. It looks like licensed open carry along with getting rid of some of the gun free zones is once again dead this year and swept under the rug.

Missouri seems to also have a lot more gun culture too. The ranges up there indoors and outdoors are great and there are a lot of them. Here in Florida on the West coast it really sucks compared to all the indoor ranges and two area gun clubs St. Louis has. Can't even compare.

I wish I stayed put in Missouri. It's just getting way too crowded down here combined with cost of living, low paying jobs, and moderating politics is not something I like. At least in Missouri you got constitutional carry and gun rights keep getting better each year. Here in Florida we did get a 10 dollar reduction in CCW permit fees last year passed!!!!! Yay!

Here in Southwest Florida other than healthcare, retail, or restaurant jobs there simply isn't many good paying jobs here and the service jobs most cut hours big time in the summer. It's hard even finding a job around here.
Yup! It's always just about gunz, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri