Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 09:02 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
Sympathizing and aligning with the south doesn't make you southern. It makes you confused.

Go to the actual South and there Ozark Missourians are Yankees just the same
This makes no sense. First of all, I grew up in Southeast Missouri & always considered myself a southerner. I grew up around folks who were southern and folks that were midwestern, so I know the difference. I'm not confused, I know my family history & culture. Second, unless rural Tennessee doesn't count as the "actual South", your second statement is false. One of the first things that someone said to me when I was introduced at work was "Well, at least you aren't another Yankee" referring to other people that worked there originally from Ohio (Another Midwestern state) & Pennsylvania.

I don't argue or deny that Missouri isn't a Midwestern state, because it most certainly is, but there are actual southerners that were born and raised in Missouri, even if they are far from being the majority. Missouri wasn't settled in a uniform way, so it doesn't have a uniform culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 09:35 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,334,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
This makes no sense. First of all, I grew up in Southeast Missouri & always considered myself a southerner. I grew up around folks who were southern and folks that were midwestern, so I know the difference. I'm not confused, I know my family history & culture. Second, unless rural Tennessee doesn't count as the "actual South", your second statement is false. One of the first things that someone said to me when I was introduced at work was "Well, at least you aren't another Yankee" referring to other people that worked there originally from Ohio (Another Midwestern state) & Pennsylvania.

I don't argue or deny that Missouri isn't a Midwestern state, because it most certainly is, but there are actual southerners that were born and raised in Missouri, even if they are far from being the majority. Missouri wasn't settled in a uniform way, so it doesn't have a uniform culture.
I agree. Also go down to West Plains or Neosho and call someone an Yankee and they might get really pissed.

The southern quarter of Missouri when it comes to religion, southern dialect and demographics does NOT line up as Northern. Places like Neosho, Branson, Cabool are not Yankee.

That's a really dumb statement that poster made about the Ozarks.

Even places like Lebanon are not yankee.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:05 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,723,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I've heard stories about Ft. Leonard Wood area as well too. My dad was stationed there in the 60s and said it was a lot of rednecks, trashy type of people too. Last time I drove in that region it looked poor.
I spent many a summer within earshot of the fort's guns around that time and I would agree that those were certainly country people -- backwoods and having a hard time making ends meet. The trashy people seemed to gravitate to the few towns near the fort (bright lights and barflies). Some of those folks wouldn't know southern culture if it bit them in the ass.

Quote:
I would think 20-25 percent. If you use the line of highway 60 across the state. Also north of highway 60 there are still some areas that are southern in pockets such as Jackson Missouri.

You got towns like Jackson, Cape Girardeau, Sikeston, Poplar Bluff, West Plains, Branson, Cabool, Mountain View, Neosho, Caruthersville and also Springfield which is right on the line as well.

If you're going by the number of counties that are in the south in MO it's about 25-27 counties adding all the counties in far southern Missouri.
I did the math but trees and rocks don't count. Deer and fish don't count. There are over 6 million folks in Missouri and less than 15% live in those counties and not all are "southern". Some of those counties have less than 7,000 people (.001%)

Quote:
What parts of the Ozarks and the Bootheel was this that your employees hated going to? I can see how some people would feel uncomfortable going in counties like Iron or Shannon County for example. I know deep in the Ozarks in far southern MO like Iron County has a klan problem.
The Bootheel was never really a problem. It was more of those banjo-music towns that saw very few outsiders and almost never saw a minority. There are places in the Ozarks where all the women look alike...just vary by age.

This is a dead horse.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I spent many a summer within earshot of the fort's guns around that time and I would agree that those were certainly country people -- backwoods and having a hard time making ends meet. The trashy people seemed to gravitate to the few towns near the fort (bright lights and barflies). Some of those folks wouldn't know southern culture if it bit them in the ass.

I did the math but trees and rocks don't count. Deer and fish don't count. There are over 6 million folks in Missouri and less than 15% live in those counties and not all are "southern". Some of those counties have less than 7,000 people (.001%)

The Bootheel was never really a problem. It was more of those banjo-music towns that saw very few outsiders and almost never saw a minority. There are places in the Ozarks where all the women look alike...just vary by age.

This is a dead horse.
But those are still part of Missouri. Then you can say the same about here in Florida because the counties in north FL that still have southern culture left are very very sparse when compared to a majority of the state. It would make up less than 10 percent of Florida's population.

The millions of people in South Florida, Orlando, Tampa way way outnumber the counties in North FL that are rural and still have some Dixie in them.

There is nothing midwestern about Missouri within 30 miles of Arkansas.

What you described about the Ozarks sounds just like West Virginia. Granted both areas are very similar.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:30 AM

Why not entirely related, This has some relations though.

Again, you don't see this being said nearly as much with other midwestern states. I don't see IA, IL, KS or even Indiana ever accused of being racist as much as MO is, and IN was even a Klan stronghold at one time.

Being a border state this is another thing that makes it an outlier too from the Midwest.

Anyway, while in modern time the state leans to the Midwest, the southern influences still influence Missouri as a whole.

https://www.thetoptens.com/i/#missouri-459217

Old 11-03-2018, 02:29 PM

451 posts, read 364,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post

There are southerners in Missouri. They are in the booneslick and southeast missouri where you're from.

They aren't from Texas county

Old 11-03-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
There are southerners in Missouri. They are in the booneslick and southeast missouri where you're from.

They aren't from Texas county
The regions of Little Dixie are not that southern anymore! Yes, parts of it still have noticeable southern influences like Lexington and Boonville but they are not southern like Branson and West Plains that are in the south!

Central Missouri is NOT the south like Branson, West Plains, south central Missouri that are actually southern.

The southern quarter of Missouri via religion, ancestry, and the southern dialect line line up with the south. Central MO other than religion and a few pockets ancestry just doesn't fully line up with the south!

Southern influences, yes parts of Little Dixie are in that transition zone a mix up Midwest and south like Southern Indiana but they are not in the south like the southern quarter of Missouri.

Even Joplin and Springfield are much more southern than central Missouri and they have some outside influences still that dilutes it.

Again you're confusing the upper south. The southern quarter of Missouri in the Ozarks is the upper south Ozarks, NOT the deep south. I'm not arguing that. It's upper south though. There is nothing midwestern about the Bull shoals and Table Rock areas and other areas not far from Arkansas.

Places near Bull Shoals lake in Missouri ARE NOT Midwestern. I've been there many times. My late uncle had a second home on Bull Shoals about 5 miles from Arkansas and it was not midwestern.

Again you're confusing the upper south with the deep south. Upper south is still southern but just a different type of southern.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:06 PM

685 posts, read 766,290 times
Quote:
Even Joplin and Springfield are much more southern than central Missouri and they have some outside influences still that dilutes it.
I lived in Joplin prior to StL. I'd call it Midwestern, with southern influences. It really is at a cultural junction on the edge of the Plains. It seems odd, but Springfield actually felt slightly more southern than Joplin, probably because both towns have different histories and geographies.

The previous poster mentioned Texas County, which is firmly in the Ozarks. I can see both sides of the debate. The Ozarks are similar to southern Appalachia (WV, VA, KY). It feels Southern-lite to me, with strong Midwest influences, but I could understand how a local might perceive it either way. Which brings me to...

St. Louis is, by far, the largest metro along the Ozarks. And it's influence shows in media markets, healthcare, tourism, shipping, and probably much more. KMOX and the Cardinals are a perfect example of this. I've always seen the Missouri Ozarks as a part of its hinterland. This influence, I believe, influence people's perceptions of how southern/midwestern the MO Ozarks are. I'd bet a similar postulation could be made for the Arkansas Ozarks feeling more Southern, as that area doesn't the large metropolitan influence we have in Missouri.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
I lived in Joplin prior to StL. I'd call it Midwestern, with southern influences. It really is at a cultural junction on the edge of the Plains. It seems odd, but Springfield actually felt slightly more southern than Joplin, probably because both towns have different histories and geographies.

The previous poster mentioned Texas County, which is firmly in the Ozarks. I can see both sides of the debate. The Ozarks are similar to southern Appalachia (WV, VA, KY). It feels Southern-lite to me, with strong Midwest influences, but I could understand how a local might perceive it either way. Which brings me to...

St. Louis is, by far, the largest metro along the Ozarks. And it's influence shows in media markets, healthcare, tourism, shipping, and probably much more. KMOX and the Cardinals are a perfect example of this. I've always seen the Missouri Ozarks as a part of its hinterland. This influence, I believe, influence people's perceptions of how southern/midwestern the MO Ozarks are. I'd bet a similar postulation could be made for the Arkansas Ozarks feeling more Southern, as that area doesn't the large metropolitan influence we have in Missouri.
Geographic terms It is on the edges of it but I would never include it in the Ozarks. Jefferson County I would include the southern and western parts in it.

I agree though mostly and also depends on where the TV and radio market is. Like Jefferson, St. Francois, and Franklin Washington counties all get their media from the St. Louis market.

Southern lite is a term I used for the Ozarks of southern Missouri and northern Arkansas, and far Northeast OK as well. I consider it southern, but not as heavily southern like the deep south is. Same way for Eastern TN, West VA and eastern KY are still in the south but don't feel it as heavy on as you do in MS, AL or the Missouri bootheel for example.

I would think Springfield would feel more southern than Joplin. Joplin is in that stretch of far SW MO, Eastern KS, and NE OK, NW ar.

That region of far SWMO and far NW Arkansas feels different. Could be due to being so close to Kansas brings in Midwestern influences that makes it feel less southern.

I agree about Joplin.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:47 PM

Guy with no teeth, already on probation for meth and then does this.

Southern Missouri, Northern Arkansas, TN, WV seems fitting for this news story.

Being it was in Missouri, at 19 these college students I'd recommend carrying. College of the Ozarks being a conservative school I wonder if they grant students and staff the option to carry.

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/cr...y/63-613682456
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri