U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 13,128 times

Advertisements

my son goes to hillcrest highschool springfield mo and has admited to
being in a gang only after he got beat up after school walking home one day.
what should i do? Should i move him to a different school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 07:27 PM

forgot to mention the school allready knows about this.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:45 AM

339 posts, read 1,318,930 times
I hope you will do what you can to cooperate with law enforcement to help bust up the gangs. And yes, I would try to change schools. It sounds like your son could use a fresh start with a new group of friends.

It sickens me that our community is being subjected to this.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:39 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,147,381 times
I agree w/ washington native; I would not switch his school unless his life is being threatened. That is not the same as being beat up. What did the school recommend? When you talk to him, what does he say? Without knowing much else about the situation, I would encourage you to help him hang out with a different group of friends. Perhaps he can join a study group, an after-school club or sport, or a church group. Be sure that he is also spending quality time with family. One big factor in children a feeling that they don't belong to anything, that they aren't a part of anything.

Here is a very brief pamplet from MO on gang issues:
http://www.mshp.dps.mo.gov/MSHPWeb/Publications/Brochures/SHP-543.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-29-2006, 03:58 AM

10 posts, read 50,193 times
I went to Hillcrest in the early '90s. Boy things have changed there. My nephew goes there now and it is pretty rough, IMO. Personally, I would move your son to another school. Central really isn't any better, nor is Parkview. That leaves Kickapoo and Glendale. They have their own problems. Maybe look into Willard since it's on that side of town. I hear it's a good school.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 14,678 times
Exclamation re:

The school needs to answer to parents when an assualt is unprovoked. They aren't liable the first time it happens, but if it happenes again I would blame the school for their failure to create a learning enviroment. If things are out of control, give your kid a month of sick leave and tell him to enjoy it. The administrators will do nothing anyways, because they are poorly qualified and most of them don't care. Tell them that you are taking your kid out, because their school is a crackhouse and that you won't drop your kid off everyday at a place where drugs flow freely.

-Ryan

P.S. I may be a from Houston, but my great-grandfather used to be the superintetendant in Missouri. If he were around today, he would get up early tommorow and wait for the kids the come to school. Then he would literally go "Bob Knight" on them.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c127/Ryan759/B-BThompsonObituary2.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-09-2007, 08:01 PM

it turns out it was in the locker room some 20 kids involved.
do you remember?

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 04-10-2007 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Deleted quote.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:16 AM

40 posts, read 189,703 times
If it were my kid, and I was sure it was gang related he would be out of that school before the end of the week!

This time it was only a beating...how about the next one?

Never rely on others when it comes to something so important, especially a school beauracracy.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:27 AM

309 posts, read 1,136,946 times
Smile Gangs

GREETINGS,

THAt is sad about your son--Springfield better get a grip on this.

I would homeschool. MO is the best State for this.. get him in Church..they have great Youth Groups at James River Church..

Are they trying to recruit him? I would stand up to them.. There not that big yet. Put the blood of Jesus on him.. Go to the police- contact the school, what ever it took, form a neighborhood watch when the children are going to & from school.

Contact the Guardian Angels..

I will be Praying for your family...

Old 07-01-2007, 05:56 PM

3 posts, read 11,340 times
You know; I will be frank with all of you; concerns for your families; and children is the number one thing you should have in this life.

If the kid wants to join the gang; regardless he will do so. Me being an ex-GD member, understands exactly where he is coming from. Mostly he is probably looking for some friends, support, power, respect, family... the list goes on as to why gangsters become what they are. Money is a revolving factor around the whole business.

Personally, I say let the kid make the mistake; let him learn a little, the streets will teach you respect, discipline, honor, loyalty, trust... everything a man should learn from his father; something most of us never had in the first place.

Let him ride it out; once he finds out he is not made of glass; he will learn how to defend himself; and his crew will help protect him; AND you... gangs don't leave their own behind, it's against the rules; if it is done (at least the crew I was with) it is punishable by death; in some circumstances a hospitalized beating which can paralyze the member who failed to uphold the laws.

The first step into becoming a man is making your own decisions; and learning from the mistakes you make along the way. If you pointed him in the right direction; this will pass; and he will move on with his life with more knowledge than the common young man should have to know.

Coyle
GD Nick (Reaper)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri