Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 08:08 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,902 times

Advertisements

Ok we have hills here but you get up where you have a good view it looks flat which tells me they were created by erosion.

Ok I went hunting and camping in Ozark County.There is predominate Hills can anyone tell me how they were created?

hillman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 08:46 AM

635 posts, read 1,655,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Ok we have hills here but you get up where you have a good view it looks flat which tells me they were created by erosion.

Ok I went hunting and camping in Ozark County.There is predominate Hills can anyone tell me how they were created?

hillman

I'm not sure how accurate I will be...but I'll take a stab at it. I took a class about these types of things. Some hills are formed by water like lakes and rivers. Ripple like hills are from difference depths of the water over time along with erosion. However some hills can be caused by earthquake/continental shifts. The Earth's plates move in different directions and push land up. The type of shift varies and the result is different patterns of hills and even mountain ranges. I know I am leaving out a lot of important stuff but that is my best recollection of the class.
I know there is a fault line over on the East side of Mo.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:32 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times
The area was once part of the ocean. The build up of sediment created the limestone. After that, there was an uplift creating a dome and then the area gradually eroded. Groundwater created caves, springs and sinkholes.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:00 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
A guy with a very big shovel! Never mind it is my nap time! lol

Old 10-22-2009, 07:11 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,912 times
MoNative pretty much nailed it. The Ozark Mountains are really a plateau that was once an ancient sea or inland ocean bed that has been eroded by our streams and rivers.

There is one small part of actual mountains that are the oldest in the US, the St. Francis Mountains (where my land is!). They are the "nubs" of a really old chain and were pushed up thru the Ozark plateau by seismic activity long ago.
Attached Thumbnails
How Where They Created?-400px-ozarkoverview.jpg  

Old 10-22-2009, 07:28 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,169 times
Others have pinned it down fairly well, but here is my more detailed account (my dates may be off by 100 million years or so, however )

1. 1.5-1.4 billion years ago: the St. Francis Mountains were created by volcanic activity. Some areas (like Taum Sauk and Proffit Mountains) were created by lava flowing out of cracks on the earth's surface. These mountains are made out of rhyolite, the purple rock with white speckles you can find in that area. Other current "mountains" were created by lava cooling underneath the surface of the earth, and were subsequently exposed by erosion. These areas are made of pink granite. The same granite and rhyolite is underneath the rest of Missouri...it is just buried under younger rocks.

2. 500-300 million years ago: The sedimentary rocks that make up the Ozarks (primarily dolomite, but also quantities of sandstone, limestone, and isolated shale) were deposited in a shallow, tropical sea. The St. Francis mountains likely stood as islands above these shallow seas, and may be the only areas for thousands of miles to have never been submerged by ancient seas.

3. About 250 million years ago: South America slams into North America (plate tectonics at work!). This creates the Ouachita Mountains in Arkansas and Oklahoma, where the rocks are folded and deformed into elongated ridges. At one time the Ouachitas were about the size of the present-day Rockies. Uplift from the continental collision is less severe to the north, and gradually uplifts the present-day Ozarks as a low, flat dome. The Boston Mountains in Arkansas are uplifted far more than the Missouri Ozarks, as they are much closer to the Ouachita mountains and the continental collision. Many, many large earthquakes would have occurred during this mountain building (known as the "Ouachita Orogeny").

If you look at a map of southern Missouri you'll see that most of the streams have very curvy, meandering paths, despite being confined by valley walls of solid rock. The Gasconade River is a perfect example. What likely happened is that the ancestral Ozarks were a flat plain, barely above sea level, before being uplifted, which allowed rivers to develop and meander their way across the plain (like the present-day Mississippi in the Bootheel). When the Ozarks were uplifted (which happened slowly over millions of years), the streams kept their old, curvy courses and simply downcut to keep up with uplift.

As far as your original question Hillman, those "mountains" in Ozark County are simply uneroded layers of rock. Most of the rock in south-central Missouri is dolomite, but at one time younger layers of limestone covered the area. Most of the limestone has been eroded away by stream action, but for whatever reason, some isolated knobs of that limestone were left in Ozark and Douglas counties.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:28 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,902 times
Cool! I drove up on Caney Mountain looked out across there it was truly awsome unlike anywhere I think I have ever seen.

hillman

Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Little known fact...... the largest limestone mines in the Western hemisphere are 60 miles south of STL.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:21 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,912 times
OA, Thanks for correcting my boo boo's. I have to remember to not post after copious amounts of alcohol.

One of those island is on my uncle's farm, you can see it really well on google earth...amazing topo.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:55 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
OA, Thanks for correcting my boo boo's. I have to remember to not post after copious amounts of alcohol.
I HATE whewn I do that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
View detailed profiles of: