Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 10:20 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,204 times

Advertisements

I am leaving at 5:30 in the AM for Eminence to do a 1 & 1/2 day float on the Jack's, 17 bridge to Alley Spring. It has been raining, the river is up, they are calling for more rain (rivers going higher) but being the stupid men we are we are still going, rain be damned. We are camping on the river Friday night so if you hear news reports of 7 men drowned in the great Jack's Fork river flood of 2008...yep, it's me!

I am hoping to get some good pix for you guys. Maybe the sun will shine a little during our adventure, I have some good rain gear if not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 10:26 AM

938 posts, read 3,505,260 times
That is a beautiful float, and I wish you the best of luck! Watch out the river can rise FAST since it is pretty much in a canyon until you get to Bay Creek! But hey, you won't have to do any dragging

Old 04-24-2008, 01:05 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
I am leaving at 5:30 in the AM for Eminence to do a 1 & 1/2 day float on the Jack's, 17 bridge to Alley Spring. It has been raining, the river is up, they are calling for more rain (rivers going higher) but being the stupid men we are we are still going, rain be damned. We are camping on the river Friday night so if you hear news reports of 7 men drowned in the great Jack's Fork river flood of 2008...yep, it's me!

I am hoping to get some good pix for you guys. Maybe the sun will shine a little during our adventure, I have some good rain gear if not.
I sure hope you survive.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:45 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Inoxkeeper - awesome! By gum, do I love that river... should be quite beautiful too, what with the soft shades of the newly emerging buds, the velvety leaves, the varied colours dancing on the hillsides above yas... Oh wait, nevermind - it will be raining and lightnin' and thunderin' and river swellins and yas buried under your ponchos! Well, at least the temps will be not so bad - 70 and then 65 and then 55 day, mid-low 40's at night. Seriously, will be looking forward to some photos - good/safe trip! Looks like Sat will be quite nice day tho' for yas...

Old 04-28-2008, 04:35 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,204 times
Well, it wasn't a bust but it was one heck of an adventure. The river has flooded twice this year, once it was 20' above flood stage and the other 14'. This caused some amazing sights up in the trees. The banks were scoured badly; root wads 2-3 feet deep were exposed all down the banks. It will be snake heaven for years to come.

It was washed so badly in places I didn't recognize a lot of the river, I missed finding hospital cave because of it. Trees were across the river in a few places even thou the forest guys has already made a trip or two cutting them out.

We put in on Friday and floated to Chalk bluff, we got there just in time to barely get our tents up before the downpour hit. I was snug and dry but the wind pushed my tent over on top of me a time or two. Some of our group that was a little slower getting to the camp ground decided to pitch their tent in the storm and ended up very wet with 1” or so of water in the tent before it was done. I had fun heckling them from my tent.

The good news Saturday was a great day to float…the bad news, one of the new root wads grabbed our boat and we tunked. Besides the unwanted swim I managed to lose my new digital camera and my GPS. They are bouncing along the bottom of Jack’s in a watertight bag that is clear with a yellow strip across the top. It’s out there for anyone who wants to go looking for it.

I had some great pix of jam up cave, I am bumming big time over the loss. I know better but I was getting too confident (the bloody maries and wild turkey had nothing to do with it I swear!) with my canoe skills.

I will be back soon trying it again, the dogwoods and redbuds were beautiful as were the bluffs and all the wildflowers blooming along some of the banks. Jack’s always leave us with a few stories!

PS, the water was great, very cold, but great for floating.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:24 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Hmmmmm,,, sounds like a need to go on a fishing trip sometime on the Jack's Fork...

Sorry to hear about the camera and GPS, that is quite frustrating and sad. Trip sounds like yas still made best of it and had memorable good time.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:12 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Inoxkeeper - awesome! By gum, do I love that river... should be quite beautiful too, what with the soft shades of the newly emerging buds, the velvety leaves, the varied colours dancing on the hillsides above yas...
I can remember floating that trip and feeling like I was in an Imperssionist painting...... sorry I was offline for this thread while it was going.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri