Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2020, 11:03 AM

34 posts, read 33,078 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate out of the suburbs for a number of reasons (high taxes, cold winters, bad schools, crime, corruption) and one of the places we are looking is Missouri (along with Kansas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Tennessee). Budget is around $300k (would love to find something around $250k). Ideally we would like to build but not opposed to already built or a "fixer upper". Things important to us (in order of importance):

1. SCHOOLS - Son will be going into 7th grade so great middle and high schools are top priority.
2. SAFE - Safe, clean area
3 JOBS - I am an accountant and my wife is a teacher. Ideally I would love to work remotely (doing that temporarily now).
4. AREA - We are not city dwellers. Suburbs/country are what we are looking for. At least 1/4 acre lot (more would be better). Prefer woods but a deal breaker.

What areas of Missouri (if any) should we concentrate our search in? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 03:22 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
I can really only talk about places I'm familiar with, but places I think you would like and fit your criteria...

Wentzville, St. Paul, Grover, Wildwood, New Melle, St. Albans...

All those places are in good school districts, and it should be easy enough to find some acreage and nice houses in those areas.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised what $250,000 to 300,000 can get you in this part of Missouri.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:28 AM

367 posts, read 765,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingtorelocate33 View Post
We are looking to relocate out of the suburbs for a number of reasons (high taxes, cold winters, bad schools, crime, corruption) and one of the places we are looking is Missouri (along with Kansas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Tennessee). Budget is around $300k (would love to find something around $250k). Ideally we would like to build but not opposed to already built or a "fixer upper". Things important to us (in order of importance):

1. SCHOOLS - Son will be going into 7th grade so great middle and high schools are top priority.
2. SAFE - Safe, clean area
3 JOBS - I am an accountant and my wife is a teacher. Ideally I would love to work remotely (doing that temporarily now).
4. AREA - We are not city dwellers. Suburbs/country are what we are looking for. At least 1/4 acre lot (more would be better). Prefer woods but a deal breaker.

What areas of Missouri (if any) should we concentrate our search in? Thanks!

Actually go to the area outside of Kansas City where you want to build and ask the neighbors who built their new houses. The kchba organization is a barometer on who's willing to build a custom home or give you a discount on a designated floor plan.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:31 PM

124 posts, read 113,801 times
Springfield, MO has some nice suburbs. Nixa and Republic are popular choices for families. Cost of living is low, there are good schools depending on district, and although it’s boring (just my opinion), there are worse places to live! Close to lakes and recreation. Missouri is a ‘purple’ state so something for everyone from a political perspective.

Old 07-24-2020, 03:24 PM

17 posts, read 24,204 times
Unless you prefer to be part of or near a major metro area like KC or STL then I'd suggest either of the cities in SW MO - Springfield or Joplin. They are pretty similar and don't have the headache and strife of a major metro. Someone else mentioned Springfield so I'll give you some Joplin info. I have lived in both and live in Joplin area now.

I'm primarily describing the outer areas of Joplin on the Missouri side of the state line. So - Carl Junction, Webb City, and Carthage.

1. SCHOOLS - All 3 are good districts. Webb City is known for sports mainly football. But actually all 3 have very good teams in football and several other sports. Webb City and Carthage both one state championships last year in their divisions. Carthage has a larger hispanic population which is off-putting to some but the people I know there really like the schools and the cultural opportunities that are not possible in the other nearby districts that are almost exclusively white.

2. SAFE - The Joplin area in general is safe but crime stats don't look very good. A lot of the crime is within seedy pockets of the society/community. So just don't get involved in sketchy things with sketchy people. But burglary can be a problem everywhere.
3 JOBS - There are lots of good districts to teach at locally. Most are large-ish districts with high schools in the 1000-1500 student range. Joplin HS has about 2300 students though. As far as being an accountant there are several firms small and large. I actually saw one in Carthage that is hiring right now. Jordan CPA.
4. AREA - You might look at a neighborhood called Heritage Acres between Webb City and Carthage. It's very nice. Might be able to find something in the upper end of your range. It's a very sought after area. Or you could look at the rural areas around Carthage. There is a lot of beautiful land just outside of Carthage and personally I think Carthage is a really cool historic town.

People in general here are pretty nice. I grew up here and have moved around over the years but really like SWMO. The ozarks offer a lot of recreation, trails, kayaking, Branson, lakes, etc.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:17 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Yeah, especially if you want to avoid cold weather, southern Missouri is the place to go.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:07 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
I just landed in Jackson, MO a few months ago and I’m really enjoying it. It’s a small town but so close to Cape Girardeau that they seem to blend into one larger city while still retaining their individuality and the rolling hills and forests are beautiful. In fact I’m living in the woods on eight acres and i just love it here. The drive to StL is one hour and 45 minutes so that’s another plus. I’ve been told that the schools here are good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri