Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,450 times

Advertisements

I have a possible dream job offer in the Lake of the Ozarks area. I am from Orange County, California. I have done research on the area but am still a bit concerned if it would be a great place for a 36 year old, single OC girl to live! I have never lived in the snow before and am concerned about it...also concerned about how my allergies would be in that type of environment. Basically it would be a BIG CHANGE and I was wondering if anyone could shed some insight on their move to the lake, where is a good place to live that is close to shopping & restaurants, etc. I am so use to the suburb life in California but am trying to be realistic if I could survive in a completely different area. I am not a big partier but I do love football, working out, shopping, spas, etc...typical girly things too.

I am not a wuss or a stuck-up Cali girl, don't get me wrong, and I adapt well to change, I am just not sure and would love any input from the wonderful people that live in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 01:54 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,526,587 times
Kimmy...welcome to the forum, first of all. I have some information that should give you some idea of what to expect. Lake of the Ozarks is a fabulous location. So much to do and someone as yourself should find it interesting. As any site such as this, located in an area that does experience all 4 seasons, you will notice a change in population. Meaning that in the winter time around here there are less people than in the summer and warmer months. I will either DM (direst message) you later or post this information later this afternoon. Others, I'm sure will also read your request and respond. Good luck.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:46 PM

419 posts, read 1,177,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyfromtheOC View Post
I I have never lived in the snow before and am concerned about it...also concerned about how my allergies would be in that type of environment.
I think I would be most concerned about your allergies. Missouri is not kind to people who have allergy problems. Also, although we don't get ice every year, it can be a real problem -sometimes it lies on for weeks.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:08 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,526,587 times
Kimmy: Try this link for now:

Missouri Vacation Guide - Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri - Vacation Travel Guide as a starter.

Art and Ambiance Trail

www.toad-cove.com (broken link)

Artsy Fartsy Home

The last is Liza Frick, an artist and adjoining the gallery is a place called 'Frick and Frack'. None of these sites are meant as advertising, just information for a newcomer to the area. Will have more later. Hope that some of this is of interest and informative. Good Luck to you. Oh, as far as allergies go, I have many, mold, dust mites, animal dander, many tree pollens, etc. You can become acclimated in time. But with your health professional care, you may adapt soon.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:13 AM

8 posts, read 45,049 times
Default Another CA native!

Moving to the lake is definitely a change in atmosphere for us SoCal natives, luckily not a trip back in time as much as it was years ago.

I'm from El Segundo, CA and I know that the weather change was the most evident, actually having 4 seasons is somewhat different from what we SoCal people know. It doesn't get crazy northern cold here, but it gets warm and humid in the spring and summer.

Originally the Army stationed me here for about 2 years in the early 90's, so I learned the weather and the land from scratch. The lake area was where I used to go on my days and weekends off.

It's nice up here, and growing. We've been here about 7 years now and relocating soon to Georgia for closeness to family. When we moved up here in 2001, we had no "big box stores" within about 50 miles of the place (other than WalMart). For that matter WalMart closed at night when we first got here (now open 24 hours).

The local support system is Lowe's, Home Depot, Target, Staples, super WalMarts (2), and then of course the local businesses and all the chain restaurants. With those (all new in the last 5 years I might add) you can find almost anything you need up here within a few miles.

The place is absolutely beautiful, but good jobs are hard to come by (and keep) and great jobs are almost non-existent. Seems like there's always someone better "qualified or connected" for any work worth the time.

I noticed it's been a few months since you started the thread - so I hope this info still pertains. I've posted much more detail in the previous, and you should be able to search for those. I try to tell things as they are :-)

At any rate, we're off the GA soon, so have fun here if you come out! Happy and safe travels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri