Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 07:22 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,114,371 times

Advertisements

Why not the Nevada, Lamar, Joplin area? Clean, low on crime, conservative, lower cost of living. Good schools, numerous colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 01:41 AM

16,071 posts, read 10,732,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
I feel the same way. I know it's unpopular to say this, but I've always felt that the decline in institutional competence occurred soon after we instituted legislative term limits. It removed any sliver of long-term incentive to build legacy or form relationships with constituencies. It's all about short-term gain now.
Indeed. You and I agree -- I've been on a soapbox against term limits for a while (not just a Missouri problem). We see the craziness in Congress and looney antics in state legislatures and wonder why they seem incompetent. It's a result of several threads coming together: dark money, lobbying and interest groups, inexperience, one-issue candidates, and term limits.

Term limits are a lazy way to correct a problem of poor voter participation and reduced civic involvement or awareness in general. Voters should vote an unproductive or unresponsive representative out of office, not establish some arbitrary term limits and assume the problem is solved. They'll just elect someone worse if they let money and interest groups decide which inexperienced person runs for office.

Old 05-13-2022, 01:12 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Indeed. You and I agree -- I've been on a soapbox against term limits for a while (not just a Missouri problem). We see the craziness in Congress and looney antics in state legislatures and wonder why they seem incompetent. It's a result of several threads coming together: dark money, lobbying and interest groups, inexperience, one-issue candidates, and term limits.

Term limits are a lazy way to correct a problem of poor voter participation and reduced civic involvement or awareness in general. Voters should vote an unproductive or unresponsive representative out of office, not establish some arbitrary term limits and assume the problem is solved. They'll just elect someone worse if they let money and interest groups decide which inexperienced person runs for office.
Agreed 100%

Old 05-14-2022, 06:27 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,639,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
I feel the same way. I know it's unpopular to say this, but I've always felt that the decline in institutional competence occurred soon after we instituted legislative term limits. It removed any sliver of long-term incentive to build legacy or form relationships with constituencies. It's all about short-term gain now.
Interesting. I have seen a decline in competence (since, at least, 2004 when I really began watching) in places where there were no term limits, but maybe it is a different kind of decline in competence. You specified "institutional competence." In my experience, the long term residents seem to care more about building a self serving legacy, and forming relationships with other congresscritters, lobbyists, and party big wigs, than their constituencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I see some pretty loony antics in national legislators, as well. Usually term limits are seen as a counter measure against dark money, lobbying and interest groups.

Quote:
My (admittedly, heavy handed) solution would be to require civics tests before people could vote. While this would move the behavior (and reduce the number) of the voters, it would be a difficult sell in the US, today.

Not sure I would want to pursue this topic here, since it is, somewhat, off topic. Maybe we could take it up in another forum. (Would appreciate suggestions.)

Old 05-14-2022, 07:11 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
The idea of terms limits came into being long before social media with eyes glued to screens and the social ineptness that followed.
Not saying term limits were the magic pill they were made out to be anyway, but modern culture exacerbates the problems.
The basic idea of term limits isn't horrible in and of itself.
Not sure why keeping 90 year-olds in congress is such a great idea when they can barely form a sentence. 70 seems to be pushing it for a lot of them...
clearing throat...............
Past the 20 year mark corruption sets in deep.

Oh yeah, the thread.
Go to the other part of this website, the 'data' part of C-D, and check the crime stats on whatever town you're interested in.
Missouri has plenty of safer options and the vast majority of them will be conservative or at least moderate. Affordability is generally not a problem either.

Old 05-14-2022, 08:05 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,639,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Oh yeah, the thread.
Go to the other part of this website, the 'data' part of C-D, and check the crime stats on whatever town you're interested in.
Missouri has plenty of safer options and the vast majority of them will be conservative or at least moderate. Affordability is generally not a problem either.
Yes, that is a good idea. I think I will go there too.

A move may be in my future, after all.

My wife informs me that she would like to live somewhere without a gravel road leading to the house, and a 9 to 19 percent grade running across the lawn. (It does make mowing a challenge.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri