Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 11:22 PM

63 posts, read 273,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy View Post
Maybe so, but that doesnt make it a more urban city. The points still stand.
True. My point was just that Joplin has about 50,000 people now. For some reason I just get irritated with things showing Joplin at only 45,000.

Wionee - Your best thing would be to just visit and see if you like it. There are a couple websites that I can think of that can help you find houses in the 4 state area. Happy New Year To All Of You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 09:23 AM

27 posts, read 143,634 times
Smile Found a house on Line-Need information

Hi everyone, Well, I found this house on a real estate web site for Springfield. The address is 1313 North Grant Avenue, Springfield. The house is selling for 54,900. The ad says 4 bedrooms-3baths and that it could be used as a duplex. In the picture the house appears to look ok from the outside, but who really knows...there are ways to make anything look good these days. What I'm wondering is...is this property in a good location? The ad said it was across the street from Roto Lawnmowers? I looked at a map for the location, but it's really hard to know what area this house is in. It appears to be right in the middle of Springfield. However I'm not sure. Another thing...it has city water and a sanitary sewer, I'm not familiar with the term sanitary sewer. Does this mean it has it's own septic system? That it doesn't have city disposal? If anyone knows anything about this house location, and can answer any of my question, please write me back. I'm thanking you all, Wionee HAVE A GREAT NEW YEAR!!!!!!

Old 01-02-2007, 10:12 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,822 times
I would avoid that location - but I've been accused of being a south-side snob. I would not consider any home North of Chestnut or West of downtown. The reason for identifying it a suitable for a duplex is that there will likely be many rentals in the area. My experience with renters has been that they do not take care of their property.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:48 PM

187 posts, read 1,022,697 times
The term sanitary sewer means that like most other houses in the city, it is connected to public sewer and is not on septic. So no worries. Just flush your toilet and enjoy, lol

And yes, that area is not in a very good location. Its not horrible or ghetto like you would find in a place like St Louis or Kansas City, but it is in a low-income area with some run-down housing.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:35 AM

27 posts, read 143,634 times
Smile So tell me what area's of Springfield are ok

Is it really that bad, North Grant? Where are the better area's of Springfield? I'd really like to buy a fixer upper, where can I find one? Thanking you, Wionee

Old 01-13-2007, 05:39 AM

103 posts, read 503,785 times
wionee - Moderator cut: offensive i grew up in the PNW and moved down here almost a year ago. the joplin "metro" area has more than 100k people and is far from hillbilly heaven.

if i were 25 and single, i probably wouldn't be a big fan. but, i'm 40 and have a wife and kids and all four of us really like the area. there's more than enough for a family to do here and , on the rare occasion we want more, we simply drive up to KC.

house prices are sickeningly low here (for what we're used to). i live in a 3 bed, two full bath, 1,800 sqf home that was built eight years ago. it's worth 92k. neighbor's home is about 2,500 sqf, four bed, two-and-a-half bath, he paid 118k and it also was built eight years ago.

people are friendly and yes, a few people speak with a southern accent ... although i really could care less. almost everything you do here is cheaper than in the PNW.

Last edited by Marka; 01-21-2007 at 10:35 AM..

Old 01-13-2007, 10:48 AM

65 posts, read 389,507 times
Default Springfield Area / Joplin Area

I can't really speak on the Joplin area, I am sure like most of Southwest Missouri it is growing, and there is a college down there my suspicion is that there may be close similarities between Joplin and Springfield, Springfield however is a larger metro area and with a larger population and in just my opinion it is probably a bit more urban than Joplin but not as urban as St Louis and Kansas City.

There are parts of Springfield that I myself would avoid to live in but there may be some benefits to buying in the part of town you mentioned, I know that that particular property may be in a target area where you might find some state incentives for fixing up the place however not sure I would want to live there. Central / Downtown Springfield is experiencing a renaissance and redevelopment and is the location of Missouri State University.

Hope this information helps and if I can assist with anything else let me know.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:23 PM

23 posts, read 80,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy View Post
Missouri people in general do not have a southern accent. As someone said above, the people in the bootheel part of the state (extreme SE portion) do speak with a southern accent, generally. Thats a true southern culture down there, since Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas are nearby. But you wont want to live in that part of the state anyway, especially because the New Madrid earthquake fault is in that area.
Yes, they have a southern accent. No one ever thinks "they" have an accent. It depends on where you grew up whether or not you hear it.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:17 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNdad View Post
Yes, they have a southern accent. No one ever thinks "they" have an accent. It depends on where you grew up whether or not you hear it.
Ya know what, My relatives over by Poplar Bluff said I talked funny, I had to laugh cause they said "you'ns come sitan eat" "Over Yonder by the crik" and all that, and everyone knows that CAlifornians Don't have an accent, I mean "Dude, Like really Man, Come-on"
I will say that the folks in SE Mo are the nicest people I have ever met in this country....

Old 07-03-2007, 07:43 PM

23 posts, read 80,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Ya know what, My relatives over by Poplar Bluff said I talked funny, I had to laugh cause they said "you'ns come sitan eat" "Over Yonder by the crik" and all that, and everyone knows that CAlifornians Don't have an accent, I mean "Dude, Like really Man, Come-on"
I will say that the folks in SE Mo are the nicest people I have ever met in this country....
Hey, I am from Minnesooooota. Everyone there says they don't have and accent. Ya, suure, yoooo betcha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri