Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 07:46 PM

27 posts, read 143,634 times

Advertisements

I'd really like to talk to someone about Joplin. I've never been out of the north west, and I'm wondering what it's really like in Missouri. Are there jobs for teacher's in Joplin? What is the weather like? The news always referes to this part of the country as the plains. I'm wondering if Joplin is a good community, and what the people are like. I know that everyone has a different opinion, but generally speaking... if someone has lived in a place for awhile, they've got a pretty good feel for the area. I'd be interested in the best parts of Joplin for purchasing a house, and where the best schools are. I know that in every city there are the good parts of town and the not so good parts. I would really like to buy an older home that I could fix up. Maybe someone knows where in Joplin they have nice older homes that need some TLC. I'm planning on taking a trip out to Joplin in the spring,, is this a good time to arrive in Joplin? I've spent many hours searching around for information on Joplin, but one never knows what to believe. I would so appreciate any information someone would care to share with me.
Thanking you-Wionee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 09:29 PM

63 posts, read 273,547 times
I would imagine that if there isn't that many jobs for teachers now in Joplin then that will probably change in the near future. I have heard that there are plans on building 2 new schools and renovating one. There are also many schools in and around the city. The weather is different just about everyday. A couple of weeks ago the high was 70, but the day after it was only around 40 so it gets pretty random. There are nice people around here, but if your driving around be prepared for rude drivers. The drivers around here are pretty bad. I have heard that the northwestern part of town is the nice part, but just like you posted, there are good parts and bad parts of town. Joplin has its share of crime just like any other city. Joplin during spring is pretty nice, its not too hot and its not too cold. If you have any questions I will try to help out if I can.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:34 PM

6 posts, read 39,845 times
i don't think there are any bad neighborhoods in joplin. you may run across a block of shabby houses here and there or a run down house in a block but by and large the neighborhoods are safe and people are fixing up their houses. my neice bought and completely renovated an older home.........mostly all by herself.....she wanted an older home and it was really a bargain compared to the cost of new construction. if you shop around, you can find a bargain. i bought a small two story victorian house two years ago....all fixed up on the inside, but it needed a paint job on the outside and the yard was a mess..... we gave $52,000 for it. three bedrooms and two large bathrooms. our block is run down but the neighbors are fixing up their places. and, one block away we have large, well maintained historic homes.(one of the best neighborhoods in joplin in my book). my block will catch up. a nice large older home across the street is for sale.....$60,000. an older couple lived there for many years and i wonder if it is original inside.
on the other hand, if you want to spend a half million or more, you will be able to find that too. or, any price range in between.
schools....you might want to check out east newton/mcdonald county schools. the population is growing rapidly and the schools are expanding. check a map for anderson mo and granby mo to get an idea of how far these schools are from joplin.
good luck.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:22 PM

Smile new question's about Joplin and Missouri

I was talking to some people today about Missouri, they told me it was a mostly southern state with education standards way below the national average. Ok...not to insult anyone in Missouri, but does everyone there talk with a southern accent? I never thought of Missouri as being a southern state. I guess I thought it was more midwestern. Missouri seems like one of those forgotten states that no one knows to much about. Could someone give me some idea as to the social and cultural aspects of Missouri. I spent some time many years ago in Kentucky and not to insult anyone... but I found the intellect of the people I incountered somewhat oppressive. Most of these folks were southern baptist, and many of them were extremly predjudice. I guess I'm wondering if Missouri is a more progressive state compared to the down southern states. What are the economic conditions of Joplin. Is the unemployment rate high? I would really like someone to be frank and honest with me about Missouri, and especially Joplin Missouri. Is the city of Joplin an urban city with many interesting things to do? I know I'm asking alot of question's and that everyone has a different opinion, But people's opinions are the best source of information. Thanking You All...Wionee

Old 12-29-2006, 09:09 PM

For some reason I have noticed that a lot of people around here have southern accents. I don't really know why though because I wouldn't consider Missouri to be southern. I have noticed that northern Missouri is a lot different than down here though. Joplin is a pretty big Christian city. It is also has a couple redneck like towns surrounding it. I don't really think that there are too many racists or anything like that around here. Im not too sure about the unemployment rate though. As for interesting things it depends on what you like to do.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:25 PM

19 posts, read 109,545 times
I dont know of anything exciting in joplin, except the "spook light" is that still even around??? We dont have southern accents, unless you get down to the boot hill and the Arkansas border.

I live in Springfield, that area is the best place to be if you ask me, KC and St louis are too big and pricey, down here its just right and you still have some form of intertainment.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:36 AM

187 posts, read 1,022,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wionee View Post
I was talking to some people today about Missouri, they told me it was a mostly southern state with education standards way below the national average. Ok...not to insult anyone in Missouri, but does everyone there talk with a southern accent? I never thought of Missouri as being a southern state. I guess I thought it was more midwestern. Missouri seems like one of those forgotten states that no one knows to much about. Could someone give me some idea as to the social and cultural aspects of Missouri. I spent some time many years ago in Kentucky and not to insult anyone... but I found the intellect of the people I incountered somewhat oppressive. Most of these folks were southern baptist, and many of them were extremly predjudice. I guess I'm wondering if Missouri is a more progressive state compared to the down southern states. What are the economic conditions of Joplin. Is the unemployment rate high? I would really like someone to be frank and honest with me about Missouri, and especially Joplin Missouri. Is the city of Joplin an urban city with many interesting things to do? I know I'm asking alot of question's and that everyone has a different opinion, But people's opinions are the best source of information. Thanking You All...Wionee
The most progressive cities in the state are St Louis, Kansas City, and Columbia. The rural areas, particularly in the southwest part of the state (not Springfield itself, which is becoming more progressive, but the areas around it, including Joplin) are more conservative and "hillbillyish", with many Southern Baptists.

And no, Joplin isnt what I consider an "urban city". Its a town of about 45,000 people, and there isnt a ton to do there. If you like to get out and go see places, you'll get bored of Joplin quickly, unless you want to drive an hour or two away to Springfield, Branson, Tulsa, Kansas City, or the Fayetteville area in NW Arkansas.

Missouri people in general do not have a southern accent. As someone said above, the people in the bootheel part of the state (extreme SE portion) do speak with a southern accent, generally. Thats a true southern culture down there, since Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas are nearby. But you wont want to live in that part of the state anyway, especially because the New Madrid earthquake fault is in that area.

As far as Missouri's education goes, I dont know that I agree that it is subpar. Some areas are better than others, but Missouri students score above the national average on the ACT test, so I'm not sure where you are getting that from. The richer suburban school districts around KC and St Louis are going to have better test scores than people who live, say, in the bootheel part of the state.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:45 PM

^^
Joplin has about 50,000 people now. They had 45,504 people on the 2000 census.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:30 AM

187 posts, read 1,022,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone1515 View Post
^^
Joplin has about 50,000 people now. They had 45,504 people on the 2000 census.
Maybe so, but that doesnt make it a more urban city. The points still stand.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:52 PM

Smile Everyone is so nice to answer my questions

Thank you all very much for your information on Joplin and Missouri. I know that theres no quick set answers to any one of my question's, but I do so appreciate all of you taking the time to answer. The real answer will only arrive when I make a trip out to Missouri, but at least I've learned something about the city of Joplin and the State of Missouri. I'd like to find a house with at least 4 bedrooms and two bath, with hopefully a two car garage. One that could use a little TLC, an older home would be nice. If anyone has any suggestion's as to the area's in and around Joplin and Springfield to buy in, I would be very grateful. WISHING YOU ALL A GRAND NEW YEAR, Wionee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri