Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2021, 11:31 AM

34 posts, read 58,802 times

Advertisements

The question is more hypothetical, and I can imagine partly due to some of the bridges and rivers. But I often wonder why there wasn’t 3 lanes built.

I go between the 2 often, and even down 49 KC to Joplin which isn’t as bad, but a lot of people take that route from Oklahoma or Texas as well. Driving during the daytime on a weekend especially, it’s always like edge of seat driving at some point along the way. Either someone is driving too slow, or trying to go too fast, which leads to someone getting cut off. Or there’s a long line in the passing lane, and at some point someone gets impatient and wants to cut everybody off.

I feel the i70 route is so accident prone, I almost start to avoid it on high traffic times: Friday afternoons, and Saturday and Sunday’s before like 6 pm. I feel a lot of the issues could have been mitigated if there were 3 or more lanes. For example, Georgia’s highway are all 3 lanes. Florida is usually 3 or 4 lanes. However even that doesn’t always prevent accidents if someone is being reckless.

I find most of this always happens near or around a semi. People will often pass on the right behind or next to a semi, which further slows things down. Which is why I don’t get it considering i70 is a major crossroads for people traveling cross country. Before I even lived in Missouri, I would travel Thru i70 out of Denver to pretty much get anywhere east of the Mississippi. Only once did I take i40 east, and that added a couple of days to where I was going in Tennessee at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 12:52 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Funding, priorities... I guess.
I-44 is even worse, and it's mostly 4-lane as well.
I-70 needs 6 lanes at least between Columbia and St. Louis. Needs upgrading within the city of Kansas City. 6 lanes all the way across? I don't know. More lanes also encourage whackier driving.
I'd rather see that hyperloop get built and get more people off the roads altogether.
I-44 needs to be demolished and completely rerouted and rebuilt.
I-49 is a breeze and as it should be. Coming out of KC down to where 7 goes towards the Ozarks could use some improvements though.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:03 AM

6 posts, read 9,399 times
It can be annoying when trucks are passing slowly on the left but it's really not that bad. They should add a lane or two through Wentzville and Columbia before touching anything else.

Old 05-07-2021, 12:02 PM

68 posts, read 119,215 times
I remember years ago whenever crossing Missouri on i-70, StL to KC, if it was an odd hour and not many vehicles on the roadway, we'd travel in the center (left lane) to avoid the thump-thump thump-thump of the uneven pavement caused from all the heavy traffic in the more often used worn right lane.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:36 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
I think 80 through Iowa is even worse than 70, traffic wise. We have been taking 36 across MO for the past few years instead of 70 or 80.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:04 PM

685 posts, read 766,508 times
Lack of funding. This state doesn't have the resources for that type of project. Missouri has the lowest gas tax and no tolls.

It doesn't help that I-70 in MO is one of the oldest interstates, and in many cases, is not built to modern standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri