Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 02:14 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times

Advertisements

^yeah the pronunciation is something people should be aware of. It’s not pronounced it like the state.
It does seem like a nice enough town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 07:36 PM

134 posts, read 192,526 times
It is nice enough--just not a lot going on there. Last time I was through was for a stop at the White Grill on my way from K.C. to Joplin. The downtown square was pretty depressing for a long time but I think some renewal efforts are paying off.

My grandpa used to live on Burton street near Spring St. Park. My mom was NHS class of '57.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:49 PM

685 posts, read 767,149 times
Not much of a difference between small towns. The towns along I-70, and I-44 to a lesser extent, are better maintained than those that are further from the interstate.

Towns in the Ozarks certainly feel poorer than those in Northern & Central MO, Kansas, and Illinois. The Ozarks are culturally similar to Appalachia and it is noticeable.

If you really want be isolated, like no-cell signal, starry sky kinda isolated, there are still a few areas deep in the Ozarks that offer that. Otherwise, most of Missouri is easily accessible.

Old 08-28-2021, 10:11 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
^yeah the pronunciation is something people should be aware of. It’s not pronounced it like the state.
It does seem like a nice enough town.
It is older than the state of Nevada, and older than the Nevada territory. There is one in Iowa pronounced the same way, too.

Old 08-28-2021, 10:18 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowMeBryan View Post
It is nice enough--just not a lot going on there. Last time I was through was for a stop at the White Grill on my way from K.C. to Joplin. The downtown square was pretty depressing for a long time but I think some renewal efforts are paying off.

My grandpa used to live on Burton street near Spring St. Park. My mom was NHS class of '57.
The City of Nevada is aggressive in its cleanup. There are still several Victorian style homes here. Nevada has a nice city pool, another pool at the YMCA and a skate park. The city also has a nice golf course and an airport that is being upgraded. There are two nursing schools. The overpass on the main highway through town is in the process of being replaced.

Old 08-28-2021, 03:49 PM

134 posts, read 192,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The City of Nevada is aggressive in its cleanup. There are still several Victorian style homes here. Nevada has a nice city pool, another pool at the YMCA and a skate park. The city also has a nice golf course and an airport that is being upgraded. There are two nursing schools. The overpass on the main highway through town is in the process of being replaced.
Sounds like they're really working! That's good news!

Old 09-21-2021, 02:00 PM

17 posts, read 24,193 times
Nevada will probably be cheaper and less 'scenic' than towns near St Louis. Nevada is in the osage plains region of Missouri so it's mostly flat with some trees but a lot of open space, where STL and surrounding area is very hilly and forested.

I always found Nevada to be a kind of isolated and depressing town but I haven't actually been there in several years other than passing by on the interstate. It is not close to anything of interest. The nearest "city" is Joplin which is still an hour maybe more.

But I do know a few people who have lived there and liked it, so I am sure like everywhere it has it's nice qualities!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri