Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 10:04 AM

200 posts, read 324,417 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been doing some research & I'm planning to move to Missouri, but don't know which area (St. Louis or Kansas City) that is not too far from a lake. I Don't drive so I want to be able to find a way where I can take a cab that can drop me off there.

However, I've done some research on BOTH St. Louis & Kansas City Missouri that have A Lot of jobs in my field (Music & the Arts). However, I Love Lakes. I've seen lakes that (the water is SO BLUE &) are So AMAZING. 1 Lake I saw has Islands Scattered in the Middle which is in Nashville, TN. However, even tho Nashville is called " Music City" I can't find any jobs in Music &/Or Arts.

But I Did find numerous Music & Arts jobs in Missouri & am hoping to find lakes that Have Islands w/ water that is so Blue (e.g. I've seen Clearwater Lake which water looks Really Blue, but Not sure if it has Islands scattered in the middle). So, my question is:

Are there any lakes in St. Louis &/Or Kansas City, Missouri area that is similar to Nashville's "Percy Priest" Lake which has islands Scattered in the middle?

Please let me know. I'm open to any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 11:59 AM

23,283 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Any detailed map of either city (paper or web) should show you where the lakes are. Study a map of each, locate the lakes, find out what neighborhoods surround them, and do a search for rentals or real estate located in those areas.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-21-2022 at 12:20 PM..

Old 02-21-2022, 03:40 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
It's not very encouraging -- transportation will be the issue. That and the nature of the Corps of Engineer's impoundments in Missouri. You generally won't see many islands. You can look on Google maps. You could possibly get to Jefferson City by Amtrak and then find a taxi or bus to get to Lake of the Ozarks, but that lake is quite busy with boaters, and you would need to get into the quieter parts -- if there are any now. Truman lake is probably quieter, has a couple islands, and might be accessible in a similar fashion out of Kansas City...Amtrak to maybe Sedalia and then find a way to the lake. The lakes further south might be quieter -- near Arkansas. I used to go to Bull Shoals for diving and it was quiet, but I don't recall islands -- just quiet coves. That might be true of Tablerock Lake. Lake Wappapello, near Poplar Bluff, has some islands and there is an Amtrak stop in Poplar Bluff from St. Louis -- but I'm not familiar with that lake. In Arkansas I would recommend Lake Ouachita not far from Hot Springs. There are many islands in that lake, and it is very pretty. You might be able to book a trip to Hot Springs and spend a few extra days at Lake Ouachita.

Ozark rivers are very pretty and scenic and might be a better alternative and easier to access from St. Louis.

Old 02-21-2022, 05:04 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
The Kansas City area has three big lakes - Smithville, Blue Springs and Longview, but none of them have any islands that I know of.

Old 02-21-2022, 05:11 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
Well....in St. Louis County there is Creve Coeur Lake. But its not big like you're thinking.

Old 02-23-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
It's not very encouraging -- transportation will be the issue. That and the nature of the Corps of Engineer's impoundments in Missouri. You generally won't see many islands. You can look on Google maps. You could possibly get to Jefferson City by Amtrak and then find a taxi or bus to get to Lake of the Ozarks, but that lake is quite busy with boaters, and you would need to get into the quieter parts -- if there are any now. Truman lake is probably quieter, has a couple islands, and might be accessible in a similar fashion out of Kansas City...Amtrak to maybe Sedalia and then find a way to the lake. The lakes further south might be quieter -- near Arkansas. I used to go to Bull Shoals for diving and it was quiet, but I don't recall islands -- just quiet coves. That might be true of Tablerock Lake. Lake Wappapello, near Poplar Bluff, has some islands and there is an Amtrak stop in Poplar Bluff from St. Louis -- but I'm not familiar with that lake.
Ozark rivers are very pretty and scenic and might be a better alternative and easier to access from St. Louis.
Thanks SunGrins, for ALL Your Info. Yeah, I did a Google Search of List of Lakes in Missouri in General. Came up w/ 18 & some of the lakes you mentioned was on the list. To me, I Like to have My OWN PRIVACY when I sit at the Lake. I know there are Spots in Lakes where there are Families, Friends, etc. enjoy to have Fun, but I Value Quiet Spots where No One goes - Only By themselves to think & that's why I Also mentioned Islands. I know not every lake has one it was just that I figured islands were a way where I could just get away from the "mainland" to Really Clear my head. I'm Very Sensitive to my environ't & when I was living in TN (Nash) I would go to "Percy Priest" on the days I was Off from work Or After Work I would go & sit at the Quiet Spots that I found & Embrace it. These Quiet Spots were better than paying a Stress Management Course or Therapist. It would Really help me to Clear my head & it Felt SO HEALTHY to me. I know I sound like I'm Comparing "Percy Priest" (in Nash, TN) to another state, but I Really Don't mean to.

Both St. Louis AND Kansas City, Missouri have BETTER JOB Opportunities compared to TN, it's just that living a "BALANCED LIFE" (Nature) is One of my Values. I want to work in Arts/Music (Ed.) Field, Play music in Church & Outside of "the Noise" make trips to a Lake in a Quiet Space. For e.g. when I was 1st living in Nash I went to 1 section called "Hamilton Creek". This 1st section had a lot of families, kids, friends, etc. who I had to "share" w/, so when I asked a local where I could Find a More Quieter spot he told me. He said (at that time I was driving) & gave me directions to a spot where there was a parking lot & even tho' there was a boat ramp not many people go there & it was Quieter. So, when I went there I Did see a couple of guys going out w/ their boat, but it Really Didn't effect me. It WAS QUIETER there so I Made that "MY SPOT" (or "Hiding Place" like someone put it). So, Here Became "My Spot":

https://drive.google.com/u/0/uc?id=1...xport=download

I can't find a way to make an Attachment Here on City-Data, but this was the only way. So, I know the Quality SUCKS, but I think you can get the idea. The Lake is VERY BLUE & BIG. But, this was my "Hiding" (QUIET) SPOT. @ the Very Beginning of Vid you can't really see, but that's where the Boat Ramp is. So, No One Really Goes there it's Not "Busy". I Loved Sitting on Those BIG ROCKS too. (Lastly, this is neither here nor there, but at the end of vid where all the bushes & trees are you could walk around to the other side of this lake. This part of the lake has "Fingers" where I would've like to Hike to the other side.) Anyway, I'm NOT trying to Find the EXACT Same, but a Lake Similar to this one where I could get something similar to This Spot. (Although, I Did look at "Howell" River/Lake & it looked similar, but I saw that the water wasn't really blue & that there was some trash when I viewed it on YouTube.)

Maybe you have some suggestions. Like I said I'm applying & looking to live either in St. Louis or Kansas City, MO.

Old 02-23-2022, 07:17 PM

SunGrins,

It's not very encouraging -- transportation will be the issue. That and the nature of the Corps of Engineer's impoundments in Missouri.

Tablerock Lake. Lake Wappapello, near Poplar Bluff, has some islands and there is an Amtrak stop in Poplar Bluff from St. Louis -- but I'm not familiar with that lake.
.[/quote]

SunGrins, I Think I GOT IT!!!! I think YOU'RE RIGHT!! Right After I sent you my Long Response I went on YouTube & viewed "TABLEROCK" & "LAKE WAPPAPELLO" & Both "Remind me of 'PERCY PRIEST' ". I Think They're SIMILAR!!! Now you said I can take AMTRAK which has a Stop that Stops @ 1 of these Lakes (TableRock)?!

How far is "TableRock" from St. Louis?
How far is "TableRock" from Kansas City, MO?

I saw on YouTube that someone said "Lake Wappapello"is 2 Hrs. Away from St. Louis. I'm assuming "Table Rock" is gonna be around 2 Hrs. &/Or more from Kansas City as well.

Yes, I see they Both have a couple of Islands. Aw, man, I Really take to these 2 lakes. Now it's a matter of me figuring out Where I could live like maybe somewhere I could Live In Betw. where I'm gonna work & living a "a little bit" closer to the lake. Like Cutting down the 2 hrs. to maybe @ least an Hr.?!

Anyway, now it's just a matter for me to figure out w/ my Career Advisor & Life Coach how I can find a way to live in between where I'm gonna work & live go to church where I can play music & worship AND go to 1 of these lakes. Awww.... man!! But anyway, THANKS TO YOU!!! Thank You!! I'm Gonna Pray to God that He Can Help Me Find me a way to have All of this!!! I Know He Must Have a some kind of a BETTER PLAN compared to Nashville, TN where I Thought I was Supposed to be. But Thank you (looking @ both Lakes I wanna find That Quiet Spot)!!!

Old 02-25-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
It's not very encouraging -- transportation will be the issue. That and the nature of the Corps of Engineer's impoundments in Missouri. You generally won't see many islands. You can look on Google maps. You could possibly get to Jefferson City by Amtrak and then find a taxi or bus to get to Lake of the Ozarks, but that lake is quite busy with boaters, and you would need to get into the quieter parts -- if there are any now. Truman lake is probably quieter, has a couple islands, and might be accessible in a similar fashion out of Kansas City...Amtrak to maybe Sedalia and then find a way to the lake. The lakes further south might be quieter -- near Arkansas. I used to go to Bull Shoals for diving and it was quiet, but I don't recall islands -- just quiet coves. That might be true of Tablerock Lake. Lake Wappapello, near Poplar Bluff, has some islands and there is an Amtrak stop in Poplar Bluff from St. Louis -- but I'm not familiar with that lake.

SunGrins, I just looked at How Far "Lake Wappapello" & "Table Rock Lake" is from Both St. Louis & Kansas City. "Lake Wappapello" is 2 HRS. & 19 Mins. away from St. Louis & is around 3 Hrs. away from Kansas City. I think "Table Rock" is around 3 Hrs. for BOTH St. Louis & Kansas City.

I just Fell in LOVED w/ " Lake Wappapello" & looks VERY SIMILAR to "Percy Priest" in TN. I can tell it has Both Islands & enough space for me to Find My Own Private Spot. But Both of these Lakes are TOO FAR AWAY from St. Louis & Kansas City. The jobs that I'm seeing like on Indeed are around St. Louis & Kansas City areas.

I like to find Housing In BETWEEN St. Louis & these Lakes & Kansas City & these Lakes. I know when I Lived in TN "Percy Priest" wasn't Too Far from downtown Nash. But like someone suggested Don't go Everyday to the lake b/c it made you lose focus on doing your music. Maybe make going to the lake as a Weekend trip like spend 1 Day over the weekend, but that wasn't Too Hard to do where I Can't see Traveling 2 or 3 Hrs. just to Spend a WHOLE DAY @ 1 of these Lakes would be difficult since I Don't Drive. So

Would there be any Lakes Around St. Louis & Kansas City Areas that Resemble "Lake Wappapello" (Especially) & "Table Rock"?

I am SO Dettered!!

Old 02-25-2022, 08:24 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
I'm not optimistic about what you are looking for near the big cities. The train out of St. Louis would get you within striking distance to Wappapello at Poplar Bluff. If there are job offers from Arkansas (Eureka Springs, Bentonville, Little Rock or Fayetteville) you could get to some good scenic lakes there or try Springfield Missouri or Branson for Tablerock Lake.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:58 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certaincircles View Post
SunGrins,

It's not very encouraging -- transportation will be the issue. That and the nature of the Corps of Engineer's impoundments in Missouri.

Tablerock Lake. Lake Wappapello, near Poplar Bluff, has some islands and there is an Amtrak stop in Poplar Bluff from St. Louis -- but I'm not familiar with that lake.
SunGrins, I Think I GOT IT!!!! I think YOU'RE RIGHT!! Right After I sent you my Long Response I went on YouTube & viewed "TABLEROCK" & "LAKE WAPPAPELLO" & Both "Remind me of 'PERCY PRIEST' ". I Think They're SIMILAR!!! Now you said I can take AMTRAK which has a Stop that Stops @ 1 of these Lakes (TableRock)?!

How far is "TableRock" from St. Louis?
How far is "TableRock" from Kansas City, MO?

I saw on YouTube that someone said "Lake Wappapello"is 2 Hrs. Away from St. Louis. I'm assuming "Table Rock" is gonna be around 2 Hrs. &/Or more from Kansas City as well.

Yes, I see they Both have a couple of Islands. Aw, man, I Really take to these 2 lakes. Now it's a matter of me figuring out Where I could live like maybe somewhere I could Live In Betw. where I'm gonna work & living a "a little bit" closer to the lake. Like Cutting down the 2 hrs. to maybe @ least an Hr.?!

Anyway, now it's just a matter for me to figure out w/ my Career Advisor & Life Coach how I can find a way to live in between where I'm gonna work & live go to church where I can play music & worship AND go to 1 of these lakes. Awww.... man!! But anyway, THANKS TO YOU!!! Thank You!! I'm Gonna Pray to God that He Can Help Me Find me a way to have All of this!!! I Know He Must Have a some kind of a BETTER PLAN compared to Nashville, TN where I Thought I was Supposed to be. But Thank you (looking @ both Lakes I wanna find That Quiet Spot)!!! [/quote]

Table Rock and Bull Shoals are like 200 miles from Stl. Climate is much more mild and you're in the south in that part of Missouri, a lot different than St. Louis. I prefer Table Rock.
Remember back in the 70s and 80s they wanted to make a lake from daming the Meramac river around Sullivan. Would been nice alternative to Lake of the Ozarks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri