Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:58 AM

163 posts, read 418,441 times

Advertisements

I was talking to my friend in the Lake Ozark, MO area and she said the tree pollen is so heavy in the month of May that she keeps the house closed and runs the AC so it doesn't coat the inside of the house. I have allergies. I need to know, is the pollen this bad everywhere? I have never seen pollen coat everything. I live in northwest Indiana near Chicago. We were thinking of moving to Missouri. Please help.

Candy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 10:51 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Well it's actually true. We have had quite a thick coating of pollen all over everything this year. Amazingly though, I've had no problems yet, which is highly unusual, since I have worse allergies than anyone I know. It really depends on which ones you're allergic to--the only way to know for sure is to get tested, but I tested out allergic to almost all trees. The sweet gums really throw the pollen and I have 2 big ones in my front yard.

I'm not sure if this is the reason though--I got some really good whole food vitamins and have been taking them, so they may be helping.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:51 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
lol, well in NE Indiana its bad enough at times to cover vehicles, and make a sheen upon the pond when it is still. Anyhow, point is, pollen [and there are MANY different types, and each variety can occur during different times of the year, weather conditions, etc.] can hit hard anywhere - and will vary from year to year even, see the next link: Worst Cities For Pollen Span U.S., Hartford, Conn., Greenville, S.C., Top List With Worst Spring Allergies - CBS News
See how the cities vary in their rankings from year to year, in how 'bad' they are?

For more up-to-date map of how bad it is, click on the following, and then go through the various types they have listed:
weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar US Tree Pollen

For the StL County area: DOH internet: Pollen/Mold Main INDEX page

Another overview of the region: NWS Springfield, MO - Recreational Forecast

ps: could it be that all that smog/pollution from Chitown/Gary keeps all the pollen at bay? Just kidding...

Old 05-21-2008, 11:14 AM

Default Pollen / pollution

Quote:
ps: could it be that all that smog/pollution from Chitown/Gary keeps all the pollen at bay? Just kidding...
Well, no doubt! But our city trees are mostly Maple and Elm, with some cottonwoods. The cottonwoods fluff in June but that pretty much stays outside. I'm not sure how allergic I am to tree pollen. I am allergic to mold for sure. When I was a little girl the doctor told my parents top move to the desert. I had a bad case of hayfever in the spring when the desert bloomed.

I cannot get my hubby to move to the desert---nope---won't happen. But we were hoping to have our windows open all spring until the summer heat set in. I need to get away from that mill smoke and all the smog we have here but I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, if you know what I mean. Thanks for your help.

So, you are from this area and now live in Missouri?

Candy

Old 05-21-2008, 11:31 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy T View Post
,,,snip,,,

So, you are from this area and now live in Missouri?

Candy
Actually, hatched in StL [home of the best BBQ and Blues ], lived & roamed all over beloved beautiful Ozarks - now live (again) NW of Fort Wayne, after short stint in the awesomely Chattanooga area. lol, them Cottonwoods - amazing to see the 'mess' that they can leave behind, esp. around river banks.

/hijack further initiated: btw, being you are in the NW corner, have ya had chance to enjoy the Dunes State Park areas? Enjoy bopping about there... /end hijack

Old 05-21-2008, 12:29 PM

Default Indiana Dunes

I have been there a couple of times. Hubby used to go every year when he was growing up.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:14 PM

7 posts, read 29,674 times
I live about 60 miles east of Springfield, on a wooded 3 acre lot. I have lived in VA/ WVa, TN, OK and have been in MO for the past 4 years. I had awful sinus problems when I lived in VA and WV, apparently brought on by allergies. Since we moved away from VA I've not had a problem.

Our cars turn yellow in the spring, and I sweep a yellow film off the deck, but I've never noticed it in the house. We have windows open in Spring until it becomes so hot that we must turn on the air conditioning.

Becky

Old 05-21-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckycan View Post
IWe have windows open in Spring until it becomes so hot that we must turn on the air conditioning.

Becky
Thanks, Becky. I appreciate the info. When does the heat usually hit?

Candy

Old 05-22-2008, 10:22 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I am lucky enough to have only minor allergies, but my SO has significantly worse ones (mostly in the heart of Spring and early summer) and he has found that in Missouri KC is the worst, followed by the Springfield area, then Columbia and finally St. Louis.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:00 AM

44 posts, read 156,161 times
Here's a cool pollen map of the USA

I think it's updated every day Pollen Maps

A few weeks ago I left NJ and everything was covered in a heavy layer of yellow pollen ..... mostly maple trees here . I had some mild alergies but 1/2 pill of Zyrtec
kept me going just fine.... then I drove to central MO . The trees didn't have leaves yet but stuff was sprouting on the trees .... mostly oaks,hickory and cedars . The cars in MO.had alittle pollen on them but not nearly the same coating as in NJ ... however, my allergies went ballistic when I got to MO. I'm going to guess because the pollen is a mix of different species compared to NJ pollen .... Im guessing (hoping) that after you live in an area for awhile you may start to build alittle tolerance for the local pollens... gee, I wonder if the fact that I was
weed-whacking so much in MO. that my clothes were turning green had something to do with my bad allergic reaction ?? LOL

So, next year, Im not coming out to MO. while the trees are budding .... and all weed-whacking will be done with a mask on ...

BTW , I was coughing and having a terrible allergic fit in MO. and my Zrytec didn't help much...
But as soon as I tried Claritin everything started to settle down and I could breath again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri