Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:20 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,298 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any homeschooling parents in the Clinton, MO. area? Although our address is Clinton, we live outside of Clinton. Dealing with the little country school that our children had to go to, we have decided that its best to homeschool our girls. Our son will be going to high school, but our girls would still remain in this little school. Has anyone homeschooled until their children were old enough for high school and then sent them to regular school? and if so, was it a hard transition for the children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 08:48 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
I'm not in your area, but we did homeschool our girls for years thru elementary school. We didn't join a group--we could have, but just didn't have time. We got their social life thru church, girl scouts, and lessons, and they did fine. We also had kids over after school a lot, and since I was the scout leader it was easy for me to control the activities we did and to meet the girls they were friends with. We had the best costume box in town, which was a big draw for the other girls.

The transition to public school was only a little bit difficult. I told them that they always had a choice to homeschool or not, but whatever decision they made would have to stick for the whole school year. I didn't want this "in and out" kind of stuff. My older daughter begged to come back to homeschool during the first couple of months of 8th grade, and she was so miserable I almost relented, but then she settled in and did fine, and I realized later that the problem was the anemia we were treating her for at the time she started school. Also, she started in putting way too much pressure on herself, but once she figured out what was needed to make A's she was able to relax into it. She's still in school, but is a bit disgusted with how much time is wasted. My younger daughter went back in 5th grade and really thrived on the competition.

Also, I should tell you that the girls tested out really high when they went back to school. I didn't feel that we did that much in our little HS, but it was enough to keep them ahead of the local school. Then we moved to St. Louis, and I put them in the school that has the 4th highest test scores in MO, and thought maybe they wouldn't do as well here, but they're fine--no longer the top students in the school, but right up there with all A's. I'm trying not to sound braggy, but telling you this to give you confidence that HS is a good choice.

The very best thing about HS for us is that the girls really like to read and are not ashamed of it as a school child is often made to feel. There is really a lot of social pressure to not read and write and do well, and since that social pressure is lacking at home, they are free to pursue any interest that appeals to them and you'll be amazed at what they'll do that school kids won't. Also, though I didn't assign many papers at home or work all that consciously on writing, and had few worksheets, their writing skills are amazing, and it is an activity that they choose to do on their own, even now. Our homeschool memories are priceless, and I feel so blessed that we were able to do that.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:36 AM

Thank you for the great info. I've been searching the internet, i must not be looking in the right place, when you homeschool, how are the kids i guess checked so to speak by the state? Dont they need to be evaluated somehow. Im sure im making this harder on myself than it really is.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:59 AM

543 posts, read 2,309,521 times
You might check with a Catholic Church, there are usually alot of parents that homeschool and the church supports their decision. I know there are several groups in the Kansas City Area. The bowling alley even has a home school bowling league. If I had it to do all over again, I would have home schooled my kids. Am so sick of all the standardized testing given in schools, some kids test well, others such as mine don't, then they are put in special classes that didn't seem to help at all.( just made them feel singled out)

Old 05-27-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
when you homeschool, how are the kids i guess checked so to speak by the state? Dont they need to be evaluated somehow. Im sure im making this harder on myself than it really is.
Yes, you sure are, because you can't believe how loose the laws about HS are in Mo. I had trouble believing that at first too. This is the law of Mo, and you should know your rights in advance. Also, a piece of advice; it says here that you are not required to submit to the school officials your intent to homeschool, but you really should. It's the polite thing to do, and the school district where we lived were arbitrary with HSer's. They gave us no problems at all, but called DFS on another family. Fortunately I had spoken with the father of that family the week before and was able to give a good account of them to DFS when I was called. His kids got so embarrassingly ahead that the school refused to move any more HSer's up a grade after that. This is from www.hslda.org :
Quote:
Compulsory Attendance Ages: “between the ages of 7 and 16 years.” Missouri Annotated Statutes
§ 167.031. Beginning with the 2007-2008 school year, St. Louis
City has authorization to raise age to 17, but in that case the 1,000
hour requirement and the record requirements in paragraph 2 would
not apply.
Required Days of Instruction: 1,000 hours of instruction. At least 600 hours must be in the five required subjects. At least 400 of the 600 must occur at “the regular home school location.” Mo. Ann. Stat. § 167.031.2(2)(b). These requirements must be met within the term (12 months or less) the parents establish.

Required Subjects: Reading, math, social studies, language arts, and science. Mo. Ann.
Stat. § 167.031.2(2)(b).

Home School Statute: Mo. Ann. Stat. § 167.031.2. Home schools must meet the following additional requirements:

1. A home school is defined as a school that:

a. “has as its primary purpose the provision of private or religious-based instruction;

b. enrolls pupils between the ages of seven and sixteen years, of which no more than four are
unrelated” (no limit on number of related students); and

c. does not charge or receive tuition, fees or other remuneration. § 167.031.2(1)(a)-(c).” 2. Home schools must maintain the following records (there is no requirement to submit them):

a. a plan book, diary, or other record indicating subjects taught and activities engaged in;

b. and “a portfolio of samples of child’s academic work” or “other written credible evidence, etc.”;

c. and “a record of evaluations of the child’s academic progress”;

d. or “other written, credible evidence equivalent to subparagraphs a) b) and c)” § 167.031.2(2)(a). Parents have the option to follow: a, b, and c, or they can choose to follow only d) which permits more flexibility.

3. “For the purpose of minimizing unnecessary investigations” parents “may provide to the recorder of deeds of the county where the child legally resides, a signed, written declaration of enrollment stating their intent” to home school within thirty days after establishment of the home school and on Sept. 1 each year thereafter. § 167.042. Filing is strictly optional. Filing may compromise the family's privacy.

4. “Nothing in this section shall require a … home school to include in its curriculum any concept, topic, or practice in conflict with the school’s religious doctrines….” § 167.031.3.

5. “The production by a parent of a daily log showing that a home school has a course of instruction which satisfies the requirements of this section (See 1 and 2 above) shall be a defense to any prosecution under this section and to any charge or action for educational neglect.” § 167.031 (5).

6. This statute was passed as a result of the federal court decision Ellis v. O’Hara, 612 F.Supp. 379 (D.C. Mo. 1985). The former law required home instruction to be “at least substantially equivalent” to instruction in the public schools. The court held: “This statute represents a prime example of legislation which yields an unacceptable amount of discretion to officials charged with enforcement. The statute, therefore, does not comply with due process requirements, and is unconstitutionally vague.” Ellis at 381. The court applied “stringent scrutiny” because this case involved “the constitutional right of parents to direct the upbringing of their children and inculcate religious and educational values in their offspring.” Id.

Teacher Qualifications: None. Standardized Tests: None.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:24 PM

Thank you for all the great advice. Why would a school DFS? Although i wouldnt put it past our school. They want all the state funding possible and if i homeschool they would be losing 3 children. My oldest daughter is in the 7th grade, and they have a total of 12 kids in the whole 7th grade. You know its bad when the nurse of the school who also acts as the PAT teacher, comes to our home to see my youngest daughter, and tells me that i need to get the kids out of that school asap, that i was doing more for my kids at home then the school.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:24 PM

Sunshineann, you shouldn't have any probs with DFS. The people who they were called on were a little rough around the edges and the dad was raising the kids by himself, so I think the school assumed he wasn't educated enough to HS the kids. We always kept a really good communication with the school and I constantly praised them and assured them that it wasn't them, it was just me wanting a fascinating hobby and such rot so that we could stay on good terms in case I ever needed them. If you do it like that and just be considerate, which I can tell you are, you shouldn't have any problem. The school ended up with egg on their face for calling DFS on that family too, because the kids were so far ahead when they went back in. They would be reluctant to have a repeat of that I'm sure.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:45 AM

Thank you for the encouraging words stepka. We had some issues with the school in the beginning of the year. There were two boys who were sexually harassing my daughter and two others girls. When we went to the school, the principal said its not the first time this has happened. When we had a meeting with her, she stated the girls stories all were in line with the other so she had no doubts it happened, after months of presisting for a meeting with the parents she finally agreed when the other parents wanted a meeting. The other father took over the meeting, everytime we tried to state our case the principal would not let us, then called my daughter into the meeting with the other parents, and the boys, and stated " see what happens when you lie" I about hit the roof. Anyways, it happened again three weeks ago, the boy was to be suspended and the mother came in and next thing you know, the boy is back in school and no punishment. This time he decided to make things worse. He stated my daughter threatened to hurt him on the school bus with a knife. This boy does not ride the school bus for one. Long story short, regardless that he lied, my daughter is now having to see a juvenile officer, for something she did not do. My daughter now has withdrawn from everyone and everything. She just keeps saying what did i do wrong, it breaks our hearts because we know she did not do anything wrong. But because of a boy and a mothers "i'll get you back" attitude people are having to deal with this. Even the school has charges against them do to this. When this happened, there was a week of school left, and i pulled all our kids out, and told the principal that they would not be returning. We do not want our children subject to this, when all they try to do is go to school and learn. I have had other parents and former teachers come up to me and told me not to let them go back. So i hope you still think im considerate. lol. We should have pulled the kids out in the beginning when we started kicking around the homeschooling idea, but we thought it best for them to complete the year. Now i feel partially responsible. Again, thanks for all the insight to homeschooling. Any more info, or pointers would be great. thanks...

Old 05-30-2008, 02:30 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,511 times
Hi Sunshineann,

You really have my sympathy, and I hope your daughter can get some counseling to help her get over this traumatic experience. If you want to be "heard and taken seriously", get a lawyer. The school should acknowledge the fact that the perpetrator of the problems is not your daughter. She has been targeted twice...once with the original sexual harrassment, and then again, and probably more psychologically damaging, with being falsely accused. A lawyer would be able to get the school to expunge any insinuation of wrongdoing on her part from her records. Sounds like this boy needs some help. His family is doing him a disservice by standing behind him and not acknowledging his damaging behavior. Homeschooling seems like the best decision and the only way to currently keep your girls safe. Tambre

Old 05-30-2008, 03:46 PM

Hi Tambre, Thank you. We actually had to see the juvenile officer today, who is actually the supervisor. She threw the case out, but told us she is doing an inside investigation against the sheriffs office. They wrongfully read her rights, and put her on house arrest ect. She also stated for us call DFS on the hotline and request an investigation. And that when i put my letter of intent in for homeschooling not to worry if the school tries to cause problems, that she would back us up. We are so happy with our decision to homeschool, although its honestly a little bit scary, thats why i would like any information or pointers as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri