Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:11 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Don't know how this can be some of them are handicapped.Got a Guy over cross the holler helped him get a Special Bicycle online.

hillman
I was told once that anyone handicapped was considered a burden on the family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 08:53 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I was told once that anyone handicapped was considered a burden on the family.
Well I would say this one kid is anything but a burden.He is now 16 and works at the Furniture Shop and helps his Dad with Concrete Works,this even though he is not able to walk.

Got another couple that are not able to have children because of a Farming accident he had as a child.Which I'm sure has to be hard on them as much as they love children.

hillman

Old 10-29-2009, 09:22 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Sounds like some diversity among them. How is the 16 yr old treated in the community?

Old 10-31-2009, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Sounds like some diversity among them. How is the 16 yr old treated in the community?
He is treated Great he is the Man I know when he was going to school everyone liked his Pony and Wagon.He has never been left behind with his Hand Pedaled Bicycle.My wife just told me he has several Jobs.They get out of school and go to work when they turn 14 so he has been working a couple years.

I know his Folks didn't join the Church until Late because the Boy was in a Body Cast and they wanted Electric so they could have A/C.But soon as he was ready they Joined and it was such a change.But they are good neighbors.

hillman

Old 10-31-2009, 07:43 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Down around Seymour/Hartville/Mansfield there are Menonnites.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:44 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
I seem to recall that there are some Amish and/or Mennonite communities in Missouri. Is my memory faulty? If not, are they primarily in the north or are there any in the southern part of the state. Thanks.
There's some living around Diggins and Seymour (about 30 miles east of Springfield). Many are selling out and moving to Arkansas due to restrictions that are being placed upon them and their lifestyle. Can't say I blame them.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-01-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There's some living around Diggins and Seymour (about 30 miles east of Springfield). Many are selling out and moving to Arkansas due to restrictions that are being placed upon them and their lifestyle. Can't say I blame them.

20yrsinBranson
Yea I know they have tried putting more restrictions on us around here that we can not afford to live with.

I remember when the Amish moved in around Seymore we put a roof on one of their Spring Houses the Guy I was working with pointed to the house and said they pulled all the Plumbing and Wiring out of that house can you believe that? He just didn't have no concept of the beliefs.I also remember they was milking 80 head of Cows twice a day by hand.

We are having a bunch around here moving out because of division in the Church because some are wanting to go with less restrictive beliefs.Another reason for moving is Forestry Business is losing money and a bunch are converting to Truck Farming so they are moving up to Chillicothe area for better soil.

hillman

Old 11-01-2009, 09:23 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Yea I know they have tried putting more restrictions on us around here that we can not afford to live with.

I remember when the Amish moved in around Seymore we put a roof on one of their Spring Houses the Guy I was working with pointed to the house and said they pulled all the Plumbing and Wiring out of that house can you believe that? He just didn't have no concept of the beliefs.I also remember they was milking 80 head of Cows twice a day by hand.

We are having a bunch around here moving out because of division in the Church because some are wanting to go with less restrictive beliefs.Another reason for moving is Forestry Business is losing money and a bunch are converting to Truck Farming so they are moving up to Chillicothe area for better soil.

hillman
They have their own ways and those ways seem strange and different to us, but I have a lot of respect for the Amish and "M"s (I am not sure how to spell it right now). They really raise their children well and they hurt no one. It is a closed society but I have heard of instances where they have banded together to help neighbors who are not of their belief.

It takes a lot of moxy to turn away from a warm indoor bathroom in favor of an outhouse on a cold January morning in Missouri LOL. I wish that people (governments) would just let them be and let them live their lives the way they want to.

I would be sorry to see them leave Missouri completely. I love to see their little buggies driving down the road (and parked at McDonalds in Seymour - LOL).

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-01-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
They have their own ways and those ways seem strange and different to us, but I have a lot of respect for the Amish and "M"s (I am not sure how to spell it right now). They really raise their children well and they hurt no one. It is a closed society but I have heard of instances where they have banded together to help neighbors who are not of their belief.

It takes a lot of moxy to turn away from a warm indoor bathroom in favor of an outhouse on a cold January morning in Missouri LOL. I wish that people (governments) would just let them be and let them live their lives the way they want to.

I would be sorry to see them leave Missouri completely. I love to see their little buggies driving down the road (and parked at McDonalds in Seymour - LOL).

20yrsinBranson

Yea my wife complains about snow on the seat

Their not going to all leave.Seen one of their Carraiges along the road this morning must of lost a Wheel on the way to Church.

Whats Bad is anymore Hairy Armpits and Bare Feet are kind of sexy

hillman

Old 11-11-2009, 08:45 AM

4 posts, read 22,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
If you are in Missouri I suggest meeting some in person and inquiring. Word of mouth will get you directions to a farm.

If you don't mind my asking, why do you want to live with an Amish family?

Well to be honest it keeps coming up as the solution to my being absolutely DONE with today's world of technology (can't be allowed to not have a cell phone). And I so need and want God in my life everyday not just on Sundays
I'm Hoping they will let me live with them for a year. I would be so respectful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri