Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 38,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I went to an Amish auction once in Jamesport Mo. They had a separate lunch line for regular people and a different one if you were Amish. The regular lunch line had a couple of choices and one was a hamburger. It was actually a Horse burger! The line for the Amish had a great looking dish of chicken&dumplings. These Amish people will treat you like dirt if you are handicapped. Been there seen it and had it done to me!
I don't know what your game is but it is definitely not true that there are 2 food lines or that they serve horse burger. I was born & raised amish so I know what I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 15,784 times
Default Mennonites and Amish dress

Scirocco, I visit West Tennessee frequently, and the Mennonite community there around Huntingdon dress distinctively different from the general population. (Just a friendly observation at this late date -- I just discovered this website!)

Old 08-14-2007, 09:55 PM

5 posts, read 43,620 times
I know there are some Amish near Prairie Home and Boonville, Missouri. Sometimes they sell basket from their buggy at some of the local gas stations. I have also saw them driving with their horse and buggy on Highway 87.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:24 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,324,299 times
I met(phone) a family off here XAMISH .. very nice guy his wife is a sweetie!!

they have a grocery store down that way near Ava .. very nice people!!

Old 08-15-2007, 08:08 AM

543 posts, read 2,299,887 times
There is a Mennonite community around Versailles and Stover.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:40 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,158,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talmasca View Post
I don't agree. I have been, live near there and have dealt with them on various levels. Handicapped was not an issue as I have taken several friends there three of whom were handicapped. Sorry you appeared to have a problem with that.
I don't understand your "appeared problem". Easy to miss it unless you are on the recieving end. When you just try to make casual conversation with several different individuals at several different times and they just look at you and walk off then you send a friend over later to speak with them and the converse with him; then you know something is up.

Don't think an Amish won't lie to you either. Bought a team of Horses from Elmer Beechy at Jamesport Mo and he lied thru his teeth. I told him i wanted a team that would be safe around kids and he said they were. Sure they were if you ran them for about a mile each time you wanted to use them. I have also seen this guy at auction get up and bad mouth another persons horses. No more of my money will go to these types. Old Elmer doesn't drive but he sure is glad to load himself into your backseat to soak up he ac and then ask you to drive him all over town.
As i said i a previous post. Amish get the great food at an auction and when you see the difference then you get a clue as to their attitudes towards outsiders. They like your money not you!

Old 08-15-2007, 10:45 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,158,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamish View Post
I don't know what your game is but it is definitely not true that there are 2 food lines or that they serve horse burger. I was born & raised amish so I know what I'm talking about.
I HAVE NO GAME AT ALL! Just the facts. I can hook you up with the people i was with since you are the same as calling me a liar.

This was in Jamesport Mo. Maybe you group has different ways. Where are you from?

Old 09-05-2007, 10:48 PM

2 posts, read 26,267 times
Default Mennonites in Rich Hill, Missouri

We have 2 different groups of mennonites in Rich Hill, Missouri. The Old Order Mennonites live in a community a couple miles out of town. They drive buggies & don't use electricity. The women and girls wear dark colored long dresses with bonnets. The men have long beards, wear dark clothing and straw or black wide brim hats. Everyone wears black or dark colored shoes except the kids go barefoot a lot in the summertime! They are pretty friendly people. They usually wave when driving by and they attend a lot of the town's garage sales and auctions. They migrated here a few years back from out east. The second group of mennonites are a little more modern but you can easily tell the women apart from just anyone. They wear pastel colored dresses that go just below the knee. Their shoes are usually plain or they wear tennis shoes with bobby socks. Their hair is pulled back and covered with a black scarf that is pinned to form a cap over the backs of their heads. The little girls wear braids. The men usually wear plaid farm type shirts with blue jeans and have short beards but no moustaches. They drive cars and have electricity. They have their own church and school but do not live in a community of their own. Their houses are mixed in with the rest of the town and surrounding areas and have lived in this area for at least 40 years. Probably a lot longer than that. They also don't have tv's or radios. They are friendly as well and the women are a lot more outgoing than the old order. I went to school with some of them before they started their own school many years ago and I consider several of the mennonite ladies as friends. There is a third group of mennonites a few towns away that are considered modern mennonites. They don't dress or do anything outwardly different than non-mennonites as far as I know but I really don't know that much about that group. I'm sure the different groups in different areas may have different rules and do things differently but that is pretty much the way things are here.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:49 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,532,854 times
Thank You mish83 for the great information. I too have been shy to make friends with an amish family. I would love to get to know them. I also want to have the amish make me some furniture and do other stuff that is needed around the house. I live in Macon and I see quite a few amish people in Wal Mart in Moberly and know where they live. Do you think it would be rude to drive in there town to see if anyone would be willing to build me some nice furniture. I need chairs and a bed etc.....

Old 09-08-2007, 10:02 PM

3 posts, read 38,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I HAVE NO GAME AT ALL! Just the facts. I can hook you up with the people i was with since you are the same as calling me a liar.

This was in Jamesport Mo. Maybe you group has different ways. Where are you from?
We used to live at Jamesport & still have lot of family there. Sorry you feel you were not treated right. It was defiantly not because you are handicapped. Also there are not 2 food lines and they do NOT serve horse meat. I know Elmer & believe what you say about him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri