Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 07:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

thanks we will check this out...
I will let everyone know what we find....
Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 04:57 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Isn't horse meat considered a delicacy in some countries?

Please don't gag but I know in Japan they actually have horse sushi.

And I think I read somewhere that it's become pretty common place on European tables.

It's only in this country where folks frown on it. Didn't California pass an ordinance where it is a FELONY to sell a horse for human consumption?

--'rocco
At the risk of invoking the ire of the horse lovers here, I think it is idiotic that older horses cannot be butchered and used for protein products. At the very least they could be exported to third-world countries where they have no prejudices against eating horse meat. Of course, the Cattlemen's Association want to make very sure that there is NO competition for beef in this country. I am told that horse meat is actually a little sweet, and yes it would be probably more fiberous since horses are not as sedentary as cattle are.

I was involved in another conversation on another board where apparently it is illegal to shoot your own horse if it needs to euthanized! I don't know the details, but I'm sure that there have been many, many horses eaten throughout history.

Now, in reply to the OP. There are lots of Amish in and around Seymour, Missouri (Soutwest). There aren't any flea markets that I am aware of, but they make a killing at the Springfield Farmer's Market!

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-04-2008, 08:15 AM

419 posts, read 1,182,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
At the risk of invoking the ire of the horse lovers here, I think it is idiotic that older horses cannot be butchered and used for protein products. At the very least they could be exported to third-world countries where they have no prejudices against eating horse meat. Of course, the Cattlemen's Association want to make very sure that there is NO competition for beef in this country. I am told that horse meat is actually a little sweet, and yes it would be probably more fiberous since horses are not as sedentary as cattle are.

I was involved in another conversation on another board where apparently it is illegal to shoot your own horse if it needs to euthanized! I don't know the details, but I'm sure that there have been many, many horses eaten throughout history.

20yrsinBranson
I agree! Highlight: Unintended Consequences of a US Ban on the Human Slaughter of Horses - eXtension (http://www.extension.org/pages/Highlight%3A_Unintended_Consequences_of_a_US_Ban_o n_the_Human_Slaughter_of_Horses - broken link)

Old 08-09-2008, 10:41 AM

26 posts, read 91,429 times
There are several Amish communities close to Hartville area. They are alway polite and freindly. I have gone to several of their local fairs, fleamarkets....always find a bargain of well made, reasonably priced items. They have several "bulk" food stores local...that I prolly would starve to death without ..........and since I am disabled have to save a penny where I can.

AMAZINGLY...being disable, they have NEVER NEVER NEVER treated me any differently then joe blow down the road. In fact they offer to carry out my groceries, they go above and beyond when I hire them for work around my house........so maybe its ATTITUDE....that get negative attention.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:49 AM

26 posts, read 91,429 times
Another post........what is so wrong with eating a horse that has gotten to old to work anymore. Thats what wrong with people these days...they have gotten so CALIFORNICATED..........that living a simpler way of life has become wrong. COUNTRY LIFE IS DIFFERENT.....and we sure arn't going to die of pollution eating a damned ol horse.....amazingly..we won't go hungry either. I'd rather eat an old horse who has served its time..then to end up with salmanella and or worse from the crap they sell in grocery stores....at least you have a half/assed idea what you fed your horse. Same with any and all livestock actually.
JMO.....but lets get back to basics folks.....we have just about used up our resources through technology...and getting back to a simpler way of life, a healthier way of life....there is just no comparison.

LMAO....sorry funny thoughts...cross my head as I watch people starve todeath...loosing thier houses that they had to buy to "keep up with the jones"........paying on thier high dollar cars....and they put down the amish for eating a horse thats to old to EARN ITS KEEP anymore......NO NO NO...your supposed to go broke feeding the dang thing....till it dies..then hold a freaking funeral for it...pay the animal mortitian to come bury it for you.................sorry just visuals. .............CITY SLICKERS

Old 08-10-2008, 10:02 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times
Please refrain from further discussions w/in this thread pertaining to suitability, pros/cons of horses for consumption - this is NOT the thread for this, move such to Politics and Other Controversies, not in thread where OP is wanting info on Amish/Mennonite Communities. Thanks.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:10 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,396 times
It just makes good horse sense to keep on topic!

Versatile made a reference to Jamesport, Missouri many months ago in this thread. It's about an hour northeast of St. Joseph. I took Mrs. NBE there during our St. Joe vacation last March and we had a great time!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:56 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,550,929 times
I just gotta share I got my first piece of custom made pantry cabinet made by a Amish Man. It is the most beautiful furniture in the house. I love looking at it and sure keeps things organize in my house. We have been having mice probably in our rental due a old home so we order a custom cabinet to be mice proof so I don't have to keep all my food in plastic Bins. Whoo I am so Happy.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:52 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by befigard View Post
There are several Amish communities close to Hartville area. They are alway polite and freindly. I have gone to several of their local fairs, fleamarkets....always find a bargain of well made, reasonably priced items. They have several "bulk" food stores local...that I prolly would starve to death without ..........and since I am disabled have to save a penny where I can.

AMAZINGLY...being disable, they have NEVER NEVER NEVER treated me any differently then joe blow down the road. In fact they offer to carry out my groceries, they go above and beyond when I hire them for work around my house........so maybe its ATTITUDE....that get negative attention.
No it was not my attitude at all. Having been a g*** all my life i know when someone is dissing me or not. I compare this to subtle bigotry exhibited by some whites to persons of color and the whites around that person never pick it up.

It is good to hear that most likely this was a isolated incident.; although it is possible that they are like as i said and just like your money.People are people and they all are different and you cannot paint all with them with the same brush.I have never meant to put a blanket coating over all the Amish.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:51 AM

12 posts, read 48,513 times
Just wanted to note that I have never had a problem with Amish/Mennonite people. In fact when my babies were in the NICU there was a Amish/Mennonite family from the Rich Hill, Mo community that had a baby in there. I frequently saw them in the family room, halls, and waiting room. When I saw them I would say Hi and ask about their baby. They would always respond in a friendly manner. By the end of our stay they asked if they could see my babies and invited me to meet theirs. I remember them saying that it was their 8th child. The women who spoke mostly to me when her husband was not present told me how nice it was to use the washer/dryer at the Ronald McDonald house becuase it was so much quicker than her usual method. When the father was around he did most of the talking for the family. The children didn't speak much except to each other. The hospital gave them a car seat to use on the way home in their driver's car. They said they didn't have one because at home they use a buggy and mom just holds the child. I have also had minor interaction with Amish/Mennonite families because I grew up SE of Spingfield, Mo. There are a few communties around 60 hwy. Most of the time when I see someone around that area they keep their distance. They do wave when I wave and nod when I say Hi. I do however, know people around there that say that they are helpful and friendly people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri