Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 12:23 PM

184 posts, read 1,212,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
I
People here are not just sitting around bitching about the government not doing enough. They are firing up the chainsaws and working to fix things for themselves. And they are helping each other.

LOL! Check out the spingfieldnewsleader dot com and you might think differently. Look at "Community Conversaton" and click on "Share information, offers to help".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 08:03 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I've been intrigued by the notion of Springfield as a possible destination to move to. However, I've noticed there are certain features present in this region. There are several large fundamentalist Christian colleges, and Springfield is home to the Assemblies of God, the nations largest pentacostal church. It's also home to Bass Pro Shops, the hunting and fishing mega store. And Branson is in the area. So, it would seem to me that fundamentalist Christianity, hunting, fishing, and country music are a big deal in that part of the country. Am I right or wrong on this? As I'm not interested in any of those things, I wonder if I would fit in down there.
If you are not interested in those things, that would be fine and you could find plenty of other things to do in Springfield. If you are opposed to those things or find them abhorrent then you will probably not like the area.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:59 PM

76 posts, read 394,728 times
I just have to say that I love the name "gonefishing". I use somthing close to that for my Instant message for yahoo except I use "I'd rather be fishing."

Old 01-31-2007, 04:49 AM

103 posts, read 503,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone1515 View Post
I think that northern Missouri and southern Missouri are a lot different. I think that southwest Missouri tries to fit in more with the south. I also think that Joplin is a lot different than Springfield.
in joplin, we sit on the porch, play banjos and wait for newcomers to pass through our neighborhoods.

folk in springfield are sooo refined.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:56 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,507 times
Well shoot I live 50 miles North of Springfield,I belong to Assemblies of God Church,love Hunting and Fishing,and Country Music.

But I go down there to Bass Pro,Branson Music Shows.I feel out of place.I find them too Cityfied.

My Kids live down there,their not intrested in anything I am.But they enjoy it just fine.

Hillman

Old 12-10-2011, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,043 times
Having lived in Springfield my whole life until this past summer I would describe MY culture as follows, conservative, high importance on education, hard work is important, mostly white (although due to the colleges in Springfield there is more variety than one thinks, as well as bringing culture to the city and helps with the conservative factor). Springfield is home to the A/G, their three schools, as well as many churches, lots of Asian restaurants (some of THE best dining out ever), and bass pro shops headquarters. Springfield definitely has a much more laid back southern feel than the northern metro areas, you still drive down a 'main drag' instead of a highway, though the city is not opposed to growth and the arts. Springfield has some of the most friendly and genuine people you will ever meet, no so southern they are obnoxious and not so midwestern/northern they are cold

Old 12-11-2011, 09:07 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
So, what about s/w Missouri . . . Is it rather Midwestern in its approach; is it more Southern; or perhaps is it some kind of a combination of two regions? Also, is there a difference in the dominant culture between the residents of Springfield and the other less dense regions south of the city?
None of the above. It's Ozarkian which entails some degree of "arrested development" which we prefer to the relentless march of "progress."

Springfield less and less typifies the Ozarks, despite it's claim to be the "Queen" thereof. It's moving in the same direction as the two polar cities, St. Louis and Kansas City, in trying to become liberal and progressive which, to me, means dysfunctional, over-controlled with mounting crime, taxes, fees and regulations while it thumps its chest and declares it's not just "celebrating its diversity" but actively wooing it. In so doing it appears to be trying to Californicate itself and that's most troubling.

Moving to the Ozarks is akin to moving back to America but of the 50s and early 60s. I'd hate to see it ruined for future citizens. Better to come, visit, spend a lot of your money in our local economies, laugh at us hill people as backward and "inferior" then be on your way back to wherever you're from. Thank you!

Old 12-11-2011, 01:54 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
None of the above. It's Ozarkian which entails some degree of "arrested development" which we prefer to the relentless march of "progress."
In my opinion, it is regressive if it means new ideas and ways of doing things are stifled. If it means that human capital is wasted and little in the way of 21st century job growth is realized. It also means a brain drain of talent moving away en masse from many smaller cities and areas. It isn't "arrested development," but the failure of local leadership and others to move forward in a positive manner.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 12-11-2011 at 02:55 PM..

Old 12-11-2011, 02:19 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
In my opinion, it is regressive if it means new ideas and ways of doing things are stifled. If it means that human capital is wasted and little in the way of 21st century job growth is realized. It also means a brain drain of talent moving away en masse from many smaller cities and areas. It isn't "arrested development," but the failure of local leadership and others to move forward in a positive manner.
I disagree. It's locals who enjoy the culture of minimization they already have, would like to preserve and don't care to see it overrun by development and greed like so many other places have been. Newer, more and bigger don't necessarily mean better. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Modernization isn't always all that! No one I know feels regressed, repressed or distressed.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:59 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I disagree. It's locals who enjoy the culture of minimization they already have, would like to preserve and don't care to see it overrun by development and greed like so many other places have been. Newer, more and bigger don't necessarily mean better. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Modernization isn't always all that! No one I know feels regressed, repressed or distressed.
Rural MO still can't attract new jobs that have solid middle class wages. Nearly all growth in MO is in cities due to jobs alone. That isn't going to change. If rural MO doesn't emphasize increasing educational attainment, retaining talent, investing and growing local business ideas through entrepreneurship, than I certainly don't see many positives overall. In fact, nearly all of rural MO has seen no net increase in median household income with respect to inflation in over 10-15 years. Sure some states are worse off but the bar is already low enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri