U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Missouri: safe area, traffic, taxes, real estate, heating bills.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 12:46 PM

15 posts, read 115,046 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We currently live out west and I have never traveled any further than that and know nothing about any of the other states.

At the moment, my mother wants to move to Springfield, MO or Northern Texas. I have been looking at the areas and trying to find the perfect place seems impossible.

If anyone could please make suggestions, it would be GREATLY appreciated...

Here is what we are looking for:
Low tornado activity
Under 50,000 people
GOOD medical care, as my mother is ill and I am not in good health.
Lower humidity
Safe area
Cold winters are fine
New large homes 150 to 200K

I have heard that Battlefield, Nixa and Willard are not good??

Thank You!
Chris

Talk about looking for a needle in a haystack!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2006, 06:19 AM

5 posts, read 17,307 times
Nixa is a great town. Good schools, young families, and booming economy. Also try out Rogersville, Republic, Ozark, and Branson. SPringfield may be larger than 50,000 people, but it still feels like a small town, so don't automatically rule it out.

Old 05-30-2006, 06:31 PM

4 posts, read 11,982 times
Let's see....it's a bit of a mixed bag of news:

Low tornado activity? No. It gets pretty wicked around here in the spring. We've already been hit with one stormy and tornadic night this year that wiped out several homes just south of Springfield and many north of Springfield as well. It's been a while since tornadoes have caused major damage within the city limits, but it's not unheard of. Large hail has been an issue this year as well--literally to the size of baseballs on one particular evening.

Low humidity? No. Not as bad as the south, of course, but it can still make you wilt when you walk outside.

Under 50k people? No, but...it doesn't feel like a city of 150k--much smaller city/town feel to it.

Good medical care? Yes. Excellent, in fact. The metro area population of Springfield is over a half million, and as such the city is well-equipped to handle health care issues big and small. Level 1 Trauma centers, air evac/helicopter, etc.

Safe area? Yes. Springfield is one of the safest cities its size in the entire country. Violent crimes are extremely uncommon.

New homes in the 150 to 200k range? Easily...if you go outside city limits. Nixa, Rogersville, Willard, and Republic are all within a very short drive distance to the city, and boast excellent school systems and reasonable real estate values. And all are very nice towns, despite what you've heard. Property taxes will be higher in Nixa, however, because of the county it is in.

Good luck....cc

Old 06-01-2006, 02:38 PM

Default Thank You.......

[CENTER][/CENTER]Thank you so much for your response and all of the information. It truly helped a lot. I remember the humidity being bad the times I was back there, but I don't know if I would hold up in that or not.

I do remember the medical mile and used to have aunts and uncles that worked at Cox Medical Center. So, the health care would be a big plus for us.

One thing I forgot to mention. I have heard two different stories about the winters. One, that you get little snow and another, that you get a lot of snow. I am a big snow person and I was wondering which is true?

Thank you again for taking the time to post all of the great information.

Chris

Old 06-01-2006, 09:33 PM

4 posts, read 11,982 times
Winters tend to vary...we haven't had a really 'bad' winter in about two or three years. This last winter we got maybe two to three inches of snow, total, if I remember right. A few years ago, though, we were getting hammered with 10 to 12 inch snows somewhat routinely. The latest trend, though, has been to have some very mild winters that quickly heat up into summer.

It's not unusual for me to be wearing shorts and t-shirts around the house in November sometimes.

Personally, I love the snow, too, and would love to have a "real" winter again, but it just hasn't happened lately.

-cc---

Old 06-06-2006, 08:53 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,244,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylhallfan
Hello,

We currently live out west and I have never traveled any further than that and know nothing about any of the other states.

At the moment, my mother wants to move to Springfield, MO or Northern Texas. I have been looking at the areas and trying to find the perfect place seems impossible.

If anyone could please make suggestions, it would be GREATLY appreciated...

Here is what we are looking for:
Low tornado activity
Under 50,000 people
GOOD medical care, as my mother is ill and I am not in good health.
Lower humidity
Safe area
Cold winters are fine
New large homes 150 to 200K

I have heard that Battlefield, Nixa and Willard are not good??

Thank You!
Chris

Talk about looking for a needle in a haystack!
Chris, tornadoes are a fact of life whether you are in the Springfield, Missouri area or North Texas. North Texas I believe may be slightly more prone to tornadoes, but we've had two tornado outbreaks in Springfield already on March 12/13 and then toward the end of March which actually destroyed neighborhoods in Nixa, damaged homes in Battlefield, and one was spotted in north Springfield along Kearney Street which then moved over to Marshfield, etc. Nixa is a bedroom suburb and growing rapidly. Traffic is a nightmare between Springfield and Nixa during commute hours because so many people are moving to Nixa, mostly families with children, so new schools are being built and taxes are being raised to pay for the growth. I purposely avoided Nixa for those reasons. Battlefield is attached to Springfield and is also growing quickly, but it's far easier to drive into town from there than Nixa. Again, as for tornadoes, Luckily the warning systems are very good here. I am deathly afraid of tornadoes myself, and spent the nights of March 12/13 praying in an inner closet, but, it's still relatively rare. Either place has the possibility. As for population, Springfield, Missouri is approximately 160,000 people. There are outlying towns like Willard, Ash Grove, Marshfield, etc. within 20 miles of Springfield. I like all of these small towns. Medical facilities in Springfield are excellent with both St. Johns and Cox South and North and numerous other clinics, etc. Health care here is exceptional. Humidity runs up into the 80%+ range at times Chris. It's that way in Texas too. You can't escape humidity if you're considering these two areas. Winters seem to run in cycles here. There'll be a streak of a few years of bad winters with lots of snow and worse...icestorms, then a streak of fairly mild winters with not much snowfall. We didn't get much snow this past winter. December was arctic, January was warm ( my pansies in the garden bloomed!), then February came in arctic again with a week of single digits and teens and just a couple of inches of snow. Personally, I prefer less snow, but we're due for a harsh series of winters again, one just doesn't know how it will be until it gets here. I don't know about north Texas, but crime here is low and homes are exactly in the range you cite. Good luck on your move. Personally, I prefer Missouri over Texas. I'm originally from Northern California and then moved here from Las Vegas, Nevada. I absolutely love this part of Missouri. It's the most beautiful countryside I've ever seen and the people are wonderfully friendly and neighborly. I recommend Springfield and the area around it with heartfelt sincerity, but... that's just a matter of taste

Last edited by MoMark; 06-06-2006 at 09:12 PM..

Old 06-07-2006, 04:44 PM

Default Willard

Hello,

Thank you for all of the great information. I really appreciate your taking the time to write the post.

I have been thinking about Willard. Do you know how close it would be to Springfield and what type of town it is? I have a mother with Alzheimers and really need good medical care for her.

I have also heard that Willard is one of those little towns that kind of gossips. Dont know if that is true or not. Someone from Nixa told me that and that I should stay away from there. She said that she had lived in Willard for a few years. She also said it was an older town with nothing there. But, my cousin says the exact opposite about it, so I am really confused about it all.

The reason I am asking about it is because I saw a house there that looks fairly nice.

Also, was Willard in the area where the recent tornadoes took place?

Thank You Again,
Chris

Old 06-07-2006, 07:30 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,244,131 times
Default Re: Willard

Willard is a small bedroom community now to Springfield and it lies just to the west/northwest of Springfield. A lot of people have moved there as well because it's so close to Springfield, minutes by car actually. I wouldn't be surprised if Willard and Springfield soon touch city limits actually..it's really close. Cox North is the hospital that serves north Springfield, but it's getting ready to be closed and the building torn down from what I understand, which is a real shame, as it'll mean that anyone needing emergency hospitalization must soon go to St. Johns or Cox South. Even so, Willard isn't far at all, it's closer than Nixa and it's a nice place with nice homes. I don't believe any tornadoes have gone through Willard, but on March 12/13 (two consecutive nights of tornado outbreaks over Southwest Missouri), a wallcloud was apparently spotted near there. A wallcloud isn't a tornado, but a formation that can produce them sometimes. Tornadoes tend to move on southwest to northeast trajectories, meaning, that if they occur in northeastern Oklahoma or far southwestern counties in Missouri, they can sometimes travel as far as Springfield. The later March outbreak actually had a tornado that followed the path of the April 03 tornado, one family's house was destroyed then by a direct hit in 03, and again by the late March tornado. They aren't rebuilding there!! Truly, forget about tornadoes. They are relatively rare and we get LOUD warnings when they become probable or actually form. Most people have basements, or, they have inner bathrooms with no outer walls or inner closets, etc. to take refuge in. Also, keep in mind, not all tornadoes are the big destructive kind,most are weak. I think you can relax

Old 06-07-2006, 11:02 PM

Default Thank You Again......

Thank you again for your help.

I think Willard is looking more and more like the place for us.

I was concerned about the medical though. Do you know how far Cox Medical Center South is from Willard? I am sorry for all the questions. I am just very concerned about the health care for my mother as I am not in good health either.

Thank You AGAIN! You have been so kind.....

I promise this is the last question. I am going to need in home care for my mother as well. Do you know why I might find out if this would be available in Willard? Also if I have to leave urgently I would need to find someone available on an emergency basis.

Chris

Old 06-07-2006, 11:05 PM

I also forgot to ask the price of utility bills in the summer and winter?

Thank You.
Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or