Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2019, 05:40 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,624,361 times

Advertisements

Columbia Evening Missourian June 7, 1921

BANDITS ROB ICE COMPANY

St. Louis, June 7---While 1,100 members of the police force paraded before the National Organization of Police Chiefs today, bandits took advantage of the unprotected condition of the city and stole $3,000 from the safe of the Merchant's Ice & Coal Company. Three armed men held up two employees of the company and rifled the safe. They escaped in an automobile driven by a confederate.

The Night and Day Bank of St. Louis closed January 6, 1922, with a shortage of $754,000.
39 indictments were voted against A.O. Meininger, cashier of the closed bank, who left St. Louis when the examiners arrived and subsequently surrendered to the police.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/2678...eininger_free/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 09:19 AM

The Taney County Republican January 25, 1906

The post office safe at New Madrid was blown Friday night and $147 in cash and $74 in stamp books stolen. No clue.

The Taney County Republican January 25, 1906

Mrs. J.O. Mangrum started from her home in Nashville, Tenn., December 14, to visit friends in St. Louis, with $2,000 worth of jewelry and $1,500 in money in her possession. She never reached the home of her friends, and has not been heard from by her relatives. Foul play is feared.

Samuel A Ham Murdered August 27, 1879

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1336...tailed_murder/

Old 06-28-2019, 02:49 PM

Iron County Register April 9, 1914 Pg2

YEGGMEN USE CROWBAR

St. Louis.---Safe robbers who used a crowbar instead of explosives, and who provided themselves with an automatic alarm to warn them of the possible approach of a policeman, got $825.96 at Child's restaurant.

Convict Recaptured 1960

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/11955876/mugger/

Old 06-28-2019, 07:13 PM

Francis And Floyd Branham Robbed The Guitar Building In 1921

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/7398...ng_missourian/

Butler Weekly Times January 21, 1904 Pg2

ST. LOUISAN SHOT HIS EX-WIFE

Springfield, Mo., Jan 16---Charles Brown, of St. Louis, attempted to kill his ex-wife, Mrs. Oscar Lowery, here tonight, shooting her in the left arm. Before shooting Mrs. Lowery he fired one shot at her sister-in-law, May Lowery, 16 years old. The shot took effect in the left cheek.
Brown came to Springfield Monday for the purpose of killing his ex-wife, he told the officers when arrested. He waited for a chance until this evening, when he went to Lowery's home. At the gate he met the girl and mistook her for Mrs. Lowery. After shooting the girl he discovered his mistake and fired a shot at Mrs. Lowery. The girl will recover. Brown said he had intended to kill himself. He is 35 years old. He says Lowery alienated his wife's affections and then married her.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:03 AM

St. Louis Republic January 8, 1904

THROWS RED PEPPER IN WOMAN'S EYES

An unidentified man, after vainly attempting to pour a liquid from a bottle down the throat of Mrs. Minnie Becker at No. 3633 Cook avenue last night, threw red pepper into her eyes and escaped.

Doctor Harry J. Cunningham of No. 1201 North Grand avenue, who was summoned, stated that, while Mrs. Becker's eyes will be sore for some time, she will not lose her sight.
Mrs. Becker is only 17 years old. She is separated from her husband, and is employed by Mrs. Sadie Stearns.

It was about 6:30 when the front doorbell rang and Mrs. Becker answered the door.

" A stranger was standing at the door when I opened it." said Mrs. Becker to the police. " He asked me if I would give him something to eat. I told him to go around to the kitchen door and food will be given to him."

" I was about to close the door when he stepped into the hallway and threw one arm around my neck, holding me tightly. At the same time he pulled a bottle from his pocket, and, holding it to my lips, attempted to make me swallow the contents, I struggled and shouted for help."

" I could hear footsteps behind me of some person coming to my assistance. The man also heard them. He then drew a box from his pocket and releasing his grasp on my throat threw its contents into my eyes."

" I did not see which way he went, as I was temporarily blinded. I heard him run down the stairs."

Mrs. Becker said she would know the man if she saw him again, but says she never saw him before. She told police she does not know where her husband is.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:42 AM

The News Boy (Scott County) June 8, 1895 Pg2

SHOT BY A WORKMAN

John H Lewis, general manager of the Benton Manufacturing Co., St. Louis, was shot and killed by Erasmus Frederich, over a difference of $7.02 in wages.

Mexico Missouri Message September 27, 1917 Pg2

Four automobile bandits, who had held up several persons in St. Louis, were halted by a policeman and three of them surrendered. One escaped. One of the men arrested said the party had participated in four holdups.

Potosi Journal February 1, 1922 Pg2

YOUNG MAN MURDERED ON STREET

Springfield, Mo.---Boxer Alexander, 22 years old, was found murdered on a street of Newburg, Mo., according to information received by local police, who have been asked to search for suspects here.

Old 06-29-2019, 03:53 PM

Fleetwood Murder Case 1915

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1722...d_murder_case/

St. Louis Republic March 18, 1901

HE WOUNDED TWO MEN

James O'Toole, a laborer, living at No. 5224 Cheltenham avenue, is locked up at the Mounted District Police Station on a charge of wounding two men late Sunday night in Mrs. Catherine Michael's saloon at No. 5759 Manchester avenue.
O'Toole entered the saloon about 11 o'clock.

" I'll show you how to celebrate St. Patrick's Day " he exclaimed, as he produced a revolver and began firing at a table at which sat Mrs. Michaels, Lawrence Brady of No. 3133 Manchester avenue and Thomas Lagarste of No. 6300 Tamm avenue.
The first bullet passed between Mrs. Michaels and Lagarste and struck Brady in the left shoulder. The second struck Lagarste in the right forearm and the other shots went wild.
The shooting attracted the attention of the police, who placed O'Toole under arrest and forwarded Brady to the City Hospital. Dr. Murray attended Lagarste. Neither Brady nor Lagarste were seriously wounded.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:56 PM

Chillicothe Constitution Tribune July 3, 1935

PLEADS GUILTY IN A MISSOURI MURDER CASE

A plea of guilty to complicity in the murder of Elmer Davis at Laredo, the night of May 30 by Gilbert Glidewell, 24, of St. Joseph, brought a life sentence in the Missouri Penitentiary in Grundy County Circuit Court at Trenton late Tuesday. The sentence was pronounced by Judge A.G. Knight.

James E (Ted) Richardson, also of St. Joseph, charged with complicity in the crime, was tried before a jury at Trenton last week and sentenced to hang. Ellis Nave, 21, St. Joseph, the third man implicated, has been given a change of venue from the Grundy County Circuit Court. The case probably will be sent to Princeton for trial.

Glidewell also pleaded guilty Tuesday to a charge of robbery with firearms and was sentenced to a second term of life imprisonment. This plea of guilty was in connection with the holdup of a drug store the night of May 25, in which Richardson fired a shot at Frank E Lafferty, proprietor.
Glidewell will be taken to the penitentiary at Jefferson City.

Switzer Murder 1867

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1228...burg_mo28_feb/

Old 06-30-2019, 06:09 AM

The Murder Of A.S. Higgins 1890

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/2453...the_lexington/

Iron County Register April 2, 1914 Pg2

ACCUSED OF FRAUD

Jefferson City.---S.L. Craig, a financial advisor for wealthy persons was arrested in Springfield on an indictment charging him with embezzling $332 from Miss Margaret Shackelford. He furnished $1,000 bond.
The arrest followed an investigation of his financial transactions, made at the request of eight of his wealthiest clients, including Judge R.L. Goode of St. Louis. Though no criminal proceedings have been instituted, the abstract firm reported discrepancies of between $10,000 and $15,000. It is said Craig is arranging to settle the alleged shortages out of court.
Craig is 70 years old and is an elder in the church.

Following The Jesse James Trail Through Missouri

https://www.stltoday.com/travel/foll...f83e5f96c.html

Old 06-30-2019, 10:09 AM

Potosi Journal March 10, 1922 Pg2

Bloomfield.---Ollie King, a farmer, was shot and killed while holding his infant child in his arms by Will Emery at Zeta, a small town a few miles north of Bloomfield. King was shot in the breast 3 times.
The baby was uninjured.
King and Emery had quarreled on the street earlier in the day over a store account. Emery came to Bloomfield, gave himself up to the sheriff and was lodged in jail on the charge of murder in the first degree.

The Killing Of Charlie Board 1921

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~mahud.../murder-cb.txt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri