Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 07:51 PM

10,021 posts, read 8,646,805 times

Advertisements

The Restiva- Campanella Feud
This one stretched from Missouri to Texas.

The American Mafia - Vendetta in Missouri and Texas

St. Joseph Observer January 28, 1922

MARVIN PRICE KILLS HIS WIFE

Following a quarrel that lasted for some time, at 4 o'clock Thursday morning, Marvin Price, a colored musician, fired a shot into the head of his wife, Margaret, 25 years of age, in their room at a negro rooming house at 107 Main street. The bullet hit her squarely between the eyes and she lived but a short time after being taken to the hospital. Price is locked up. Of course he says it was an accident.

University Missourian (Columbia) December 12, 1911

THIEF RETURNED HIS NOTES

E.H. Cornick, a student who lives at Lowry Hall, says there are considerate thieves.
Late Friday Mr. Cornick's notebook was stolen. The book contained some notes that Mr. Cornick needed. On Saturday he received a package through the mail, on which there was two cents due. The package contained his missing notebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 06:19 AM

Cape Girardeau Democrat March 14, 1891

TORE THE DIAMONDS FROM HER EARS

A Kansas City burglar tore the diamonds from the ears of Miss Clara Morris and escaped. She was alone in the parlor.

Cape Girardeau Democrat March 14, 1891

A STAY GRANTED A MURDERER

Gov. Francis has granted a stay of execution in the case of Lewis Bulling, the St. Joseph wife murderer, sentenced to be hanged at Savannah, Andrew County, until April 17.

San Francisco Call January 30, 1912

MISSOURI GIRL HAS HER FATHER ARRESTED

Mountain Grove, Mo., Jan 29.---After the father of Miss McIvers had pursued and shot Clarence Helton, with whom she was eloping, and killing his horse near here today, the daughter called a constable and had the angry father arrested.
After the shooting, McIvers rode away, believing that his daughter had fled. The girl, however, had stepped into a thicket, and as soon as her father had disappeared, helped Helton on to her horse and rode with him to the home of the country physician.
McIvers is held pending the outcome of Helton's wounds.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:35 AM

Iron County Register April 8, 1880

DARING ROBBERY IN BUTLER COUNTY

About 6 o'clock last Saturday evening three masked men entered the residence of T.H. Vandover, in Beaverdam township, and demanded the money that was on the premises. In order to force a quick compliance with their request they fired their pistols into the floor and made threats that were calculated to scare the old gentleman and members of his family.

Mr. Vandover, who was in very bad health at the time, brought out a thousand dollars in greenbacks and presented it to the robbers. They graciously received it and demanded more, suggesting that he bring out his wealth that was reported to be buried about the house. Mr. Vandover proceeded to dig some three thousand dollars in gold from the chimney corner, where it had laid and accumulated for many years.
After receiving this amount, the robbers mounted their horses and rode away.
There are no clues as to who the guilty parties were or how they knew about Vandover's hidden wealth.

The amount stolen represented the labor and savings of a lifetime as Mr. Vandover appears to have hoarded his money for an unexpressed purpose. He deprived himself of many comforts of life in order to accumulate such a sum that the robbers took. He was sick at the time and the excitement and loss of money had a serious effect on him. The latest reports were that he was prostrated beyond a reasonable hope of recovery.

Just as we go to press we learn that two of Mr. Vandover's nephews have been arrested on suspicion and there is a strong probability that Vandover will recover his money.

( If those two were in his will You can bet they were scratched off )

Old 07-13-2019, 03:30 PM

The News Boy (Scott County) July 20, 1895 Pg2

BULLET FOUND IN HIS BODY

Moses Roberts, of St. Joseph, was murdered on the night of July 4, instead of having been accidentally killed, as supposed, by a small piece if iron penetrating his liver while he was firing an anvil. The body was exhumed and a pistol ball was found therein.

Mexico Missouri Message October 25, 1917

GIRL AND HER FATHER HAVE JAIL EXPERIENCE

Montgomery City, Mo., Oct 17---Miss Rose Butler and her father, James Butler, are both in the county jail here tonight. The girl assisted Frank Tally in his effort to break jail, pleaded guilty and was given a year in jail. Her father was arrested today on a charge of burglary. Tally has been drafted and sent to the army at Fort Riley.

Taney County Republican February 1, 1906

The post-office at Southwest City, McDonald county, was robbed last week.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:59 PM

The Marshall Republican (Saline County) December 20, 1912

Clyde Webb was fined $100 for carrying a concealed weapon. He also plead guilty to 3rd degree forgery for passing a forged check on Jake Berg & Son. He was sentenced to two years in the penitentiary.

The Morgan County Democrat (Versailles Mo) January 8, 1904 Pg2

The safe in the general store of J.C.B. Hifner, at Atherton, 15 miles northeast of Independence, was blown open with nitroglycerin by robbers. The contents of the safe were of little value and the results barely paid the cracksmen for their trouble. Money and jewelry with the total value of $75 were taken from the store by thieves 3 weeks before. Since then Mr. Hifner has been taking the store money to his home at night.

More on Henrietta Bamberger

https://www.loc.gov/resource/sn83030.../?sp=6&st=text

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...etta-bamberger

Old 07-14-2019, 06:19 AM

The Joplin Globe February 13, 1932 Pg2

FOUR THEFTS REPORTED

Fred Byers, 1906 Grand avenue, reported to police yesterday that thieves stole a red sample case from his motor car. The case contained women's silk underwear.

A basket of potatoes and a box of cigars were stolen in a burglary Thursday night at the R.E. Mosley grocery, 2002 Wall street. Entrance was gained by prying a lock off the front door.

Otto Kell, 616 Hill street, reported to police that his home was entered between 7 and 10 o'clock Thursday night and a purse containing $1 and a pair of kid's gloves was stolen.

John Shaw, 1414 Moffet avenue, reported he was victimized by a pickpocket while attending the Electric Theatre Thursday night. His purse containing $2 was stolen.

Charleston Courier August 4, 1910

Sheriff Cupp's bloodhounds helped run down a thief who had robbed the Frisco depot at Kewanee, New Madrid county, one night last week. Although the trail was 28 hours old, the dogs took it and found the quarry without difficulty. The man confessed and was taken to the New Madrid county jail. A part of the stolen money was recovered.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:17 AM

Butler Weekly Times & Bates County Record January 12, 1922

MESSENGER WAS A ROBBER

Kansas City, Mo., Jan 6---Constant grilling by the police and by the grim spectre of a guilty conscience brought a complete confession from L.H. Holland, express messenger, of the Missouri Pacific train No. 209 December 27 of which he was in charge. He admitted also that he shot himself in the leg to make the story more plausible.

Loot to the amount of $38,000 and several diamond rings and wrist watches were recovered in a large trunk checked at the Union station. Holland made admissions that caused his arrest late that night. He also admitted the theft of $400 worth of Liberty bonds August 25.
The strange story told by Holland of the December 27 holdup;

" Shortly after my train pulled out of Pleasant hill, I began to change my clothes. I had a revolver in the pocket of my overalls that had fallen out as I was changing. I picked it up and it accidentally discharged, striking me in the leg."

" At first I was frightened. I sat still and thought a long time. Then all of a sudden it came to me that it would be a good chance to stage a holdup. I laid my plans very carefully and selected a large trunk in which I placed as much loot as I thought I could get away with."

Holland was in charge of the baggage on the train. He checked the trunk at the Union station here. It was first billed to Excelsior Springs, Mo.

" My idea was to go to Excelsior Springs and dispose of the loot as soon as talk of the robbery blew over. A few days ago I changed my mind, went to Excelsior Springs and checked the trunk here. My conscience kept bothering me all the time and I thought I was being watched by the police."

Holland had $200 in his pockets when arrested. The trunk contained $27,227,43 in drafts, $1,139 in currency. None of the bills were larger than $10 in denomination. There was $800 in one dollar bills. Two diamond rings, and two wrist watches were in the trunk.

Holland's parents, Mr. and Mrs. L.W. Holland live in Pleasant Hill, Mo.

Following the alleged train holdup, Holland told a detailed story in which two bandits, after rifling the safe in the express car, shot him in the leg. The story was a detailed affair down to the shooting. It was there he erred. He told how he scuffled with one of the bandits for several minutes in the car, during which several shots were fired.

Holland was sentenced to 5 years in the penitentiary by Judge Latshaw Friday afternoon.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:25 PM

Ripley County Democrat (Doniphan Mo) August 21, 1908

Eric Poole, postmaster at Cardwell, was arrested August 7, by Deputy U.S. Marshal Wild and was taken to Poplar Bluff for a hearing before U.S. Commissioner Foard. A shortage of $800 was reported in his accounts by Post Office Inspectors Patterson and Howe after an examination of his books.

The Jasper Daily News February 20, 1902

PHELPS CASE POSTPONED

The trial of Eugene Phelps, indicted for stealing J.G. Armitage's horses, which was set for last Tuesday in circuit court at Joplin, but did not take place on that day but was continued till the June term of court. A number of witnesses from west of the city went down but the case being postponed, their services were not needed.

1928 Murder Suicide

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1490...blakely_mason/

Old 07-14-2019, 08:10 PM

Victor Roberts
1914 Fugitive

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/7974...nitor_moberly/

Los Angeles Herald December 17, 1915

CHARLES FORBES GOES TO MISSOURI

Sheriff Johnson of Butler, Mo., and a special agent for the Missouri Pacific railroad, started for Los Angeles today with papers to return Charles Forbes, " the mystery boy ," to Butler, Mo. There the 17-year-old boy will be tried on serious charges. He is also wanted in Kansas City for alleged complicity in murder and on two other charges of jail breaking and the theft of automobiles.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:35 AM

The County Paper (Oregon Mo) December 23, 1881

On last Friday, Deputy U.S. Marshal W.H. Long was arrested at Forest City, on the complaint of David Watkins, who was constable of Union township, on a charge of embezzlement. It is charged that Watkins employed Long as his deputy, and that he collected money for which he did not properly account. He gave bail.

On July 15, 1912, James Schrum and his son Harvey shot and killed Gent Gibson and Mont Hall while they were fishing at Iron Mountain Lake.

Crismon-Thompson Feud

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...grant-thompson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri