Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2017, 10:58 AM

10,000 posts, read 8,503,063 times

Advertisements

The St. Louis Republic April 25, 1902

These Burglars Liked Bonbons

Burglars held high carnival while they looted the Mattheissen residence at 3645 Botanical avenue, Wednesday night. A box of candy, which they found upon entering the house, served to relieve the monotony on the intruder's work, and judging from the appearance of the ransacked rooms after the visitors had left, the bonbons must have been the chief object of their attention. At least the police think so.
Mrs. Kate Black of Denver, Colo., who is visiting at the Mattheissen home, does not share in the opinion of the police that the candy was all the burglars wanted. As a result of the robbery she is mourning the loss of $500 worth of jewelry, which causes her to regret that she ever had the desire to come to St. Louis. Other victims of the burglary were Miss Minnie and Miss Louisa Mattheissen, who are entertaining Mrs. Black. Their losses are small, however, in comparison to that of their guest.
Burglars also made an effort to enter the home of W.H. Lange of the Manewal-Lange Bakery Company, at 3803 Botanical avenue, which is just across the street from the Mattheissen home, but they were frightened away by Mr. Lange's sister-in-law, Mrs. August Wendt of 3807 Botanical avenue.
Mrs. Wendt heard the burglars trying to pry open the dining room window of the Lange home, and when she asked them what they were doing they told her they were playing a game of hide and seek then fled. The Langes were out visiting friends at the time, and had the burglars gained an entrance they would have made a good haul, as all of the Lange valuables were packed and lying in easy reach in the dining room, prepared to be shipped to Europe, where the Langes intend to sail next week.
The Mattheissens and Mrs. Black were at the theatre when their burglary occurred.
The intruders entered the house through the kitchen window, which they pried open. After going all over the lower floor and finding nothing which they cared to take along except a pocketbook containing several dollars in change and a box of candy, they ascended to the floor above and began ransacking the sleeping apartments. Bureau drawers, trunks and boxes were overturned and their contents scattered about the floor in a topsy-turvy manner. The empty candy box and pieces of tissue paper which had been wrapped about caramels and other bonbons, were all about the floor, revealed the fact that the burglars had wasted time to partake of the sweets while they were searching for valuables.

When the women returned from the theatre they found their rooms in a state of upheaval. Their wearing apparel was lying about everywhere. Articles which belonged in one room were found in another part of the house and vice versa. Everything was in such a muddle that it was a full two hours before the women could make an inventory of their losses.
Mrs. Black discovered that the burglars had taken a turquoise belt pin valued at $100, two gold necklaces, a gold watch, two gold pins, a gold locket, a pair of opera glasses and a gold umbrella handle, all of which belonged to her and which she valued at $500. The umbrella handle had been torn from the stick and the frame was thrown aside. From the general appearance of the place the burglars must have been at work more than an hour.
The burglary was committed within a stone's throw of the Seventh District Police Station, which is but a block away from the Mattheissen home, and according to a trail of candy wrappers found in the alley behind the Mattheissen residence, the burglars ran in the direction of the police station after making their escape.
The three women were terrified when they found that the burglars had been in the house and they would not go upstairs until they had summoned a policeman.
" I regret the loss of my gold locket more than anything else," said Mrs. Black. " It contained pictures of my husband's parents, both of whom are dead. I never wore it for fear of being held up and having it taken away. I was wrong there, though, for had I worn it last night, I would still have it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 11:28 PM

The St. Louis Republic December 27, 1903

Thief Impersonates Otis Skinner To Sell Actor's Stolen Clothes

A man of medium build, well dressed, with hair a bit sandy, smooth shaven, entered Ben Levy's pawnshop, adjoining Havlin's Theatre, last Thursday morning and told a story that touched the sympathetic spot in the pawnbroker's heart.
" Do you know me?" asked the stranger.
Being assured that he was not known, at least, by Levy, the stranger continued.
" My good man, I am an actor. I am Otis Skinner, playing this week at the Olympic Theatre. As you probably know, actors sometimes get in hard lines, even the good ones, and you must know that I am a good one. Surely you have heard of Otis Skinner?"
" Yes," said the pawnbroker, " I have heard of you. Seen your name on the billboards, too."
" Yes, my name is on every billboard, in large type. I have no doubt that you have noticed my name. Well, don't believe all you see on the billboards. While to all appearances, I am making barrels of money, in reality I am sorely in need of immediate funds. Now I have more clothes than I know what to do with and I thought we might be able to strike a bargain."
" Bring them down here," said the pawnbroker, " And I will make an offer to you."
The alleged Otis Skinner showed disappointment.
" You know," he said, " That it would be extremely humiliating for an actor of my high standing to be seen carting a load of old clothes to a pawnshop. I would rather that you visit me at my room at the Laclede Hotel, where you could see the apparel and judge its worth."
Levy, however, refused to visit the Laclede, where the actor said he had room # 19, so the patron suffered the humiliation, and an hour later laid on the pawnbroker's counter a heavy overcoat, valued at $75, a suit of clothes, valued at $50, a pair of trousers, valued at $15, and some minor apparel.
For these he asked $25, but the pawnbroker, being an obdurate man and a close trader, offered $11, which the supposed actor finally accepted.
It was last Tuesday night that a thief visited Otis Skinner's room at the Planter's Hotel and divested it of almost everything it held of value. Mr. Skinner placed his loss at $500. At that time, he had forgotten that the thief's booty included an un-open package which contained Christmas presents, sent to him by Mrs. Skinner, who is in Chicago. There was one piece of jewelry in the package for which Mrs. Skinner paid $200.
Detectives, in visiting pawnshops yesterday, discovered part of the booty in Levy's place and upon questioning him, the detectives learned the story of the thief's duplicity. He had represented himself as Otis Skinner, and the dealer, not being acquainted with the personal appearance of the actor, believed his story.
The goods were returned to Mr. Skinner and the overcoat, which was the only heavy one that he had in St. Louis, was greatly appreciated. The articles recovered, however, represent only about one-fourth of the theft.
The register at the Laclede Hotel shows that room #19 was occupied during the early part of the week by one who gave his name as Kerns. When the officers visited the room they found that Kerns had departed with bag and baggage. He had also forgotten to pay his hotel bill.

The name Otis Skinner didn't ring a bell with me so I looked him up;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otis_Skinner

I bet he never came back to St. Louis again.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:55 AM

St. Louis Republic January 6, 1900

J. Beech Lane Robbed Held Up Near His Home On West Pine Blvd

J. Beech Lane of 3640 Pine street, a law student at the St. Louis University, reported to police last night that he was held up and robbed of $35 and a gold watch and chain on Pine street west of Grand avenue.
Mr. Lane says that three men were implicated in the hold up. All of them were young looking and he thinks that he could recognize them if they were apprehended.
The robbery occurred between 9 and 10 o'clock last night. Mr. Lane was walking west on Pine street, and when half a block from his home, three men jumped from behind a tree box and commanded him, at the point of a revolver, to elevate his hands. He did as ordered. The man with the revolver held it level to Lane's head while the other two hurriedly ransacked the pockets of Lane. At the time a light rain was falling and there were no pedestrians near the scene of the hold up. The robbers escaped in the darkness.

The Sullivan News January 8, 1920

Prison Terms For Two

Springfield, Mo.,---A verdict finding Ebe Smith and Pres Rozell, of Taney County, guilty of murder in the second degree and fixing the penalty for Smith at 15 years imprisonment and that for Rozell at 10 years imprisonment was returned by a jury at Forsythe after deliberating 18 hours. The men were tried for the murder of Abner Holcomb.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:43 AM

St. Louis Republic June 8, 1902

Man Shot By Woman In " Death Valley "

A man whose identity is not known, was shot in the forehead in front of 9 North Twenty Third street " Death Valley " at 11:20 o'clock last night and seriously wounded.
He was taken to the City Hospital.
The shot was fired by a woman giving the name of Rose Camp, who lives at that number, and she declares the man was trying to break into her house. She was arrested and is held at the Central District Station. Grace Wilson of the same address was also arrested. She corroborated the statements made by the Camp woman.
" I heard a noise in the front part of the house." said the Camp woman. " And when I went into the front room, I saw a man trying to remove the screen. I told him if he did not get away, I would shoot. He continued to pull and jerk at the screen and I fired one shot. That was the second time I heard a noise in the house tonight. I never saw the man before."
The firing of the shot attracted the attention of Sergeant Colestock and other policemen, and when they arrived at the house they found the man lying in an unconscious condition on the sidewalk. The bullet entered above the left eye and pierced the brain.
The only thing that would lead to an identification was the name " George F Connor " which was written on a tag sewed on the inside coat pocket. The man is apparently 25 years old, 5 feet 10 inches in hedight, and weighs about 150 pounds. He was clean shaven. He wore a Stetson hat and a dark suit of clothes. At 1 o'clock this morning the man was still unconscious and Doctor Nietert stated that he could not recover.

That area on Twenty Third street in St. Louis was known as " Death Valley " because of all the killings that were happening there.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:01 AM

St. Louis Republic January 23, 1900

Robbed Him On His Own Wagon

Phillip Rutsch, proprietor of a butcher shop at 1224 Cass avenue, closed his place of business about 10 o'clock last night and started to his home at the corner of John avenue and Emily street, in his delivery wagon. As he crossed Mullanphy street at the Thirteenth street intersection he discovered a man crouched beneath the seat of the wagon. Mr. Rutsch at first decided to call for assistance, and then he thought he would drive direct to the Dayton District Police Station with his prisoner.
The rough condition of the street caused the man to be thrown forward and Mr. Rutsch felt the body of the man strike his legs. Thinking that he was going to be assaulted, the butcher gave the man a vicious kick in the head with the heal of his boot. The butcher's assailant rose and the two men grappled. The robber and the butcher both called for assistance. Two men instantly sprang upon the wagon. The butcher thought they were coming to his assistance until one of them grabbed the whip from its socket and struck him over the head with the butt end of it. He was knocked to the rear of the wagon. One of the robbers held him while the other two searched his pockets. They found a canvass bag containing $50 in gold and silver. This they appropriated. The horse was urged to full speed, and the robbers jumped from the wagon. For several blocks the horse ran north on Thirteenth street, narrowly missing several other vehicles.
When Mr. Rutsch regained consciousness he grabbed the reins and stopped the horse. The robbery was reported to the police immediately. Mr. Rutsch has two scalp wounds and a black eye. He thinks he can identify two of the robbers if they are arrested.

Republican Tribune (Union, Franklin County) September 9, 1921

County Jail Now Has 4 Regular Boarders

The men who robbed the store of Ben Sheve Jr. at Catawissa one night last week were caught in St. Louis on Morgan street and both are now in jail at Union. The men are colored and are named Edward Spivey and Andrew Sanders. The former claims that he is from Dakota and that he has been in Arkansas for some time. Sanders is reticent about his former whereabouts. The men were caught selling the stolen goods to some stores in St. Louis. The goods were identified as those of Mr. Sheve. It seems to be a plain case of burglary and larceny and both will probably plead guilty when court convenes.
Sheriff Gehlert now has 4 men in prison here in Union. There is a white man in jail who claims he is from Kentucky. Not long ago he commenced using his knife on a man in Pacific and he was brought to Union for safe keeping.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:37 PM

Stealing Headstones From The 1800s

Police investigate stolen headstones at Caseyville Cemetery | Belleville News-Democrat

Utility Worker Shoots And Kills Armed Robber In North County

Utility worker grabs own gun to kill armed man who tried to rob him, St. Louis County police say | Law and order | stltoday.com

Fulton Hospital Sculpture Stolen

State hospital sculpture stolen | Fulton, Missouri News

Old 08-25-2017, 08:49 PM

St. Louis Republic June 30, 1902

COFFIN OF JESSE JAMES FELL IN MOLDERING BITS

Kearney, Mo., June 29----From the Samuels farm, where he was born, the body of Jesse James was moved and re-buried today in the Kearney cemetery, on a hill overlooking miles of country with which his exploits still echo and beside the bodies of his father and wife.
Her fear that the body had been stolen was one of Mrs. Zarelda Samuel's motives for having it exhumed, though she had kept constant vigil of the grave for twenty years. She insisted upon seeing the body, but was restrained by her son, Frank James and grandson, Jesse Jr.
At 1 o'clock, the hour set for opening the grave, Mrs. Samuels was prepared to drive through a hard rainstorm from the hotel where Frank James is ill, to the farm four miles distant. Young James, however, accompanied by a few persons, had slipped out earlier and performed the task.
In the corner of the yard, overrun with hollyhocks and grass, a small white shaft bearing the name of the noted bandit, and the date of his death at the hands of Bob Ford, April 13, 1882, was moved aside. Under the tree where Reuben Samuels had been strung up thrice by detectives in a vain attempt to make him tell the whereabouts of the James boys, stood young Jesse.

BODY FALLS TO PIECES AS CASKET IS LIFTED

The rain fell in sheets and thunder pealed from black clouds while four relatives dug into the grave. In lifting out the metal casket the sides parted from the bottom, the remains fell back with the cushion.
Rain beating and action of the air instantly disintegrated the mass, leaving only the skull, hair and beard in view. Remarkably preserved, the black burial suit held the skeleton together.
Young Jesse brushed aside the dark brown hair and located the hole in the skull which Ford's bullet made. It was as large as a quarter and situated behind the left ear. A glance of the skull showed prominent jawbones and broad forehead. The remains were placed in a black coffin with a simple nameplate of silver on top.
Despite the storm, many persons drove in to witness the burial, and from Jackson County came the pallbearers, M.I George, Bill Gregg, Frank Gregg, Warren Welsh, Sam Whitsett and B.F. Morrow, all of whom served with Frank and Jesse James in Quantrill's band.

FRANK JAMES LEAVES SICKBED TO ATTEND FUNERAL

Frank received his grizzled comrades in bed, where he has been ill with the grippe the last week. Against his physician's advice, he got up and joined the party at dinner, and then, with his wife and mother and young Jesse, entered the first of the six carriages which followed the hearse on the journey to the Samuels farm.
Only the relatives, pallbearers and newspaper men made the trip. From windows and doorways the residents of the little town peered curiously at the procession. Deep mud and swollen streams made progress slow. Just as the carriages entered the Samuels farm a burst of sunshine lighted up the sparkling hedges and brought into relief the newly whitewashed cottage on the side of the ravine. It is framed among green hills that roll away in billows capped by white elder blossoms, poppies and crimson clover. In this scene was pointed out, near the modern cottage, the log house in which Jesse James was born. In the sides are portholes, out of which he fired upon his pursuers. Bullets are embedded in the walls and the old trees nearby bear similar marks. In rear of the new cottage are two rooms, in one of which a bomb was thrown by detectives in 1875, exploding and killing Jesse's little half-brother Archie Samuels, and taking off the right arm of his mother.

JOURNEY TO THE KEARNEY CEMETERY

In the house, Jesse's daughter, Mrs. Mary Barr, his half-sisters, Mrs. William Nicholson and Mrs. Joseph Hall, and half-brother, John Samuels, were waiting with other relatives, whose farms are in the neighborhood. They augmented the cortese, which began its return journey with the remains.
Frank James had personally shown the points of interest to the correspondents. He made no comments, but the tone of his voice, as he leaned heavily on his nephew's shoulder, had a trace of sadness in it.
The new grave, under the shadows of cedars and poplars on Cemetery Hill, was surrounded by several hundred people. When the pallbearers, without ceremony, removed the coffin, no word was spoken save by the gravediggers, as they proceeded with their task. Frank James held an umbrella over his mother, who was also supported by young Jesse at the head of the grave. When the mound had been made and the boards driven in, Frank turned to the pallbearers saying, " Boys, this is all we can do."
Mrs. Samuels wept softly, her hand nervously playing with a gold medallion that bears daguerreotypes of Jesse and Frank James, taken when they were in California 34 years ago.
" The world may say what it pleases of Jesse," said the mother. " But I knew him. He is waiting for me where I hope to go."
The group of spectators who stood by silently and respectfully, slowly dispersed.

W.V. Brumby

Old 08-26-2017, 07:00 AM

Sullivan Tri-County News March 14, 1957

Tires Stolen From Garage

Franklin County police authorities are seeking a clue to a burglary which occurred Monday or early Tuesday morning at Modern Garage in Sullivan. Twenty one new Goodyear nylon tires have been reported stolen. According to Marshal Walter Brake, the rear door to Modern Garage was found open at 6 a.m. Tuesday by Raymond Davis, a driver for the garage. Davis had come in for the wrecker to answer a road call. Harold Schmidt, proprietor, checked and found that the new tires were missing. In addition, someone had taken a few small coins and a package of gum from Schmidt's desk, but no other articles were taken.

Sullivan News May 1, 1930

Sam Taylor, 35, was convicted by a jury of first degree murder and sentenced to 27 years in the penitentiary in the circuit court in Dent County, April 16. Last January, Taylor called Happy Holbrook to the door of his home and shot him. He fled but was arrested by the sheriff of Ozark County, on information from WOS in Jefferson City. John Taylor, a brother of Sam, pleaded guilty to stealing chickens in Ozark County and was sentenced to two years in the penitentiary since the killing of Holbrook.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:04 AM

Sullivan News February 29, 1940

Confidence Man Arrested In Washington Missouri

Guy Cameron, arrested by police chief Joe Inter at Washington, Mo., on a charge of obtaining money under false pretenses, has been lodged in the county jail to await action by an attorney for Butler Bros., the firm he claimed to represent at the time. It has since been discovered that the man has a police record in six states.
Cameron, alias Joseph Gearhart, J.W. Gearhart, George West and Joseph West, took an order from Tom Bryan, barber in Washington, for towels from Butler Bros. The order amounted to $4.00 and he took eighty cents as a down payment. Bryan later became suspicious and called police. Cameron signed a confession and was turned over to Sheriff John T Giebler. A letter was received from a man in Afton, Oklahoma, who said he had given a stranger an order for a case of toilet tissue 3 weeks ago and he believed it was the man caught in Washington.
He paid with a check made out to Butler Bros. and the same man cashed it in town, endorsing only with his own name, D. Cameron.
The prisoner said he served time in Edmund Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, Kellogg Idaho and Chicago. His record with the state police showed charges of conspiracy, petty larceny, intoxication, passing a bogus check and taking money under false pretenses in Chicago, Mt. Vernon, Washington, Iowa and Kansas City. In spite of all the arrests, the man is said to have told Chief Inter he would repeat the offense unless he was able to obtain employment.

Thief Wearing " I'm Broke Baby " T-Shirt

Missouri police hunt suspected TV thief in ‘I’m Broke Baby’ T-shirt | NBC4i.com

Old 08-27-2017, 06:42 AM

George " Clubfoot " Lane (1842-1864)
Audrain County, Missouri
Outlaw

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...r&GRid=5122951

Sullivan News February 16, 1933

Thieves Rob Gray Summit Store

Sunday morning, Feb 5, between one and four robbers broke into A.J. Heidman's Store. They removed all the cases of canned goods, all the sacks of flour, with the exception of two which had holes. They made a clean sweep of the store, taking all the clothes, cigars, cigarettes, chewing tobacco, coffee and any other merchandise that was in the store. The indications are that they backed a car or truck up to the store and loaded all the stuff on and drove away.

Man Kills Home Intruder For Second Time In 4 Months

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2272086
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri