Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2018, 05:10 PM

9,999 posts, read 8,471,012 times

Advertisements

Marthasville News March 11, 1897

TRAGEDY IN A BANK

The Cashier Shot And Killed By His Assistant

Assistant Cashier Irving Seeber of the Citizen's Bank of Higginsville, shot and instantly killed Cashier D.W. Elling. T.B. Beach, jeweler, and Postmaster F.K. Threllkeld were eyewitnesses to the affair. Just what caused the difficulty is not known, beyond it was the culmination of a quarrel several days before. The ball had entered the head, and Elling had died within a few minutes.
Seeber seemed very cool, and went about his books as though nothing had happened.
Cashier Elling was almost 26. He was popular and well thought of in the community. He was a son of Judge H.H. Elling, of near Concordia. Irving Seeber is about 22 years of age, and the son of C.W. Seeber, formerly president of the Missouri Banking Association.

Old Mug Shots Of Women

https://capturedandexposed.com/tag/shoplifting/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 10:44 PM

Shoplifter Hides In Storm Drain 2015

https://fox4kc.com/2015/05/06/suspec...n-storm-drain/

St. Louis Republic August 18, 1905

BURGLARS ESCAPE AFTER AN ALARM

Mrs. Mary Doyle of No. 404 North Eleventh street was awakened shortly after midnight this morning by footsteps in the room adjoining that in which she was sleeping, and as she arose from her bed, she saw two men leaving.
She called for help but the burglars escaped. Upon investigating, she discovered the thieves had stolen $80 in currency, one pair of diamond earrings, valued at $150, a diamond stud worth $75, a diamond ring worth $75 and three other gold rings valued at $30 each.
The first floor of the building is being remodeled, and the burglars experienced little difficulty in effecting an entrance to the lower floor. From the first floor the thieves climbed up a stairway and entered the kitchen. From there they went from one room to another, ransacking drawers and scattering clothing over the house.
They had just completed their work when Mrs. Doyle was awakened. She followed the pair down the stairs and into the street, calling for help, but the men made good their escape. The police were notified but no arrests were made.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:44 AM

Marthasville News December 31, 1896

KILLED THE CONSTABLE

An Indian Territory Desperado Makes A Lively Fight At A Dance In Douglas County

Owen Booth, constable of Clay Township, Douglas county, who lived 7 miles south of Mansfield, just over the Wright county line, was shot and instantly killed by an Indian Territory desperado named James Kuntzer. John Applin, one of Booth's posse, was also shot and badly wounded, but will recover.
The shooting, which was promiscuous, took place at a dance, and the wildest excitement prevailed, many of the dancers narrowly escaping the fusillade of bullets that were fired into the building from the outside while the dance was in progress.
Kuntzer was charged with burglarizing Henry Ames' store at Bryant recently, and a warrant for his arrest was issued and placed in the hands of Constable Booth. Kuntzer, having sent word in advance that he would kill anybody who might undertake his arrest, Constable Booth thought it advisable to summon a posse. When Kuntzer's surrender was demanded, he whipped out a six-shooter and commenced firing. The posse returned the fire, but Kuntzer escaped uninjured.

Lucas Branstetter
Post office robber 2014

https://krcgtv.com/news/local/multi-...ery?id=1073411

Old 10-22-2018, 01:07 PM

Kansas City Journal January 27, 1899

WON'T GIVE THEM UP

St. Joseph Authorities Holding Fast To Alleged Minnesota Train Robbers

St. Joseph, Mo., Jan. 26.--Major William Warner of Kansas City, United States District Attorney, has been in St. Joseph all day endeavoring to secure possession of James Gilmore, John Allen, and Harry Howard, train robbers, who, on Nov. 10, held up a Great Northern train in Minnesota, rifling mail and express packages.
The trio held up several people one night recently in St. Joseph, and can be given long terms at Jefferson City. There are rewards aggregating $5,000 for the men, offered by the Great Northern railway and Minnesota officials. The officers in this city who made the arrest are holding out for the reward, which Minnesota detectives also want. M.D. Purdy, of St. Paul, U.S. Attorney, arrived here today to assist Major Warner in an effort to have the men turned over to government officials. Prosecuting Attorney Mytton said tonight he would not give up the robbers, but Major Warner thinks he will.

Outlaw Hunters
The Pinkertons

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ers-163405565/

Old 10-22-2018, 09:21 PM

The St. Louis Republic July 28, 1905

" INSOLENT LAWLESSNESS OF ST. LOUIS COUNTY MUST BE SUPPRESSED." Governor Folk

Jefferson City, Mo., July 27.--- Governor Folk, when seen tonight in regard to the action of Judge Marshall in granting the writ of prohibition against the St. Louis County officials, said:

" The fight will not stop until the insolent lawlessness of St. Louis County is effectually and thoroughly suppressed. The humiliating thing to the county should be not that the police had to come to sustain the majority of the law, but the law-breaking tolerated by lawless officers of the law."
" The majority of people in St. Louis County are, I believe, law-abiding. But there is less aggressive patriotism and more aggressive rottenness there than anywhere in the state."
" The good citizens of the county owe it to themselves to become more active. Any man who is afraid to show his colors is of no benefit to good government. If the decent people of St. Louis County could only be aroused from the lethargy the indecent elements of the county could soon be cleaned up."
" The outlaws are loud-mouthed and do not hesitate to let their position be known, while the law-abiding are timid and quiet." " From hundreds of letters I have received, and from what many have told me, it seems the law-abiding people are terrorized and have regarded the forces of lawlessness as invincible. But if they would only stand up boldly for the law and for the right, they will find themselves largely in the majority, and it will never be necessary again for the Governor to take things into his own hands to prevent their shamelessness from disgracing the entire state."
" Lawbreakers curse and swear and bulldoze if no one will stand against them, but they are cowards and not worth a pinch of snuff, in politics or in any other department of life, if stoutly opposed.

" A hundred good men in the county could, if they would, make the law-breakers vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day. Will the good people there awake? Will they longer permit the name of their county to be a synonym of all that is bad in government? They can make their county as good as they want to make it or as bad as they suffer it to become. The county has been disgraced not in the endeavor to uphold law, but by the lawlessness that has reigned there so long. The shame has been in its toleration, not in the efforts of correction."

" We are told that the Dram Shop law cannot be enforced in St. Louis County because it is too old, and that the Pool Selling law cannot be enforced because it is too new. Both will be enforced, because they are a part of the laws of the state. There is no statute of limitation against the law, and a statute has nonage."

Old 10-23-2018, 07:26 AM

Chicago Tribune
The Legend Of Jesse James

THE LEGEND OF JESSE JAMES - Chicago Tribune

Kansas City Journal October 11, 1899

MADE AN EXAMPLE OF HIM

George Morris, who was arrested by Officer Clary for stealing articles from the Jones Bros. dry goods store, was tried yesterday morning in the police court. There have been many small thefts in this and other large stores in the city, which were a constant source of aggravation to the police as well as to the management of the stores.
This state of affairs impelled Judge Burnham to make an example of this man, with the hope of putting a stop to this sort of petty stealing in the future. He fined Morris $50, in default of which he was sent to the workhouse. This is the third time Morris has been arrested for stealing from Jones Bros., and this fact figured in Judge Burnham's resolution to make an example of him.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:19 PM

St. Joseph News Press December 28, 1949

TO CHARGE THREE WITH BURGLARY

Warrants charging burglary and larceny will be issued for three youths, now held in the county jail in Sallisaw, Okla., in connection with a burglary at the King Hill Drive Inn on Dec. 22. Reportedly $123 was taken.
Chief of Detectives Verne Starmer said today that as soon as the warrants are issued, St. Joseph police would leave for Oklahoma to return them. Sallisaw authorities said that the youths had in their possession at the time of their arrest a car reported stolen here from William Cassity, 634 Powell street on Dec. 23.
They said that the youths had admitted breaking into the King Hill Drive Inn, the California Fruit Market, a service station at Twenty-Second and Messanie streets, Thompson's Market at Fifteenth and Mitchell avenue, a grocery store at De Kalb, and attempting to break into the Green Hills Market at Twenty-Second and Garfield avenue.

Columbia Police Arrest Robbery Suspects 2018

https://www.columbiamissourian.com/n...ad4101a66.html

Old 10-23-2018, 07:49 PM

The St. Louis Republic September 4, 1905

SHOT WHILE LEANING AGAINST LAMP POST

Peter Harkins, 29 years old, living at No. 1486 Mullanphy street, was shot in the left leg and seriously wounded by an unidentified man while standing against a lamp post at Eleventh and Carr streets yesterday afternoon.
His assailant had a companion. Both ran after the shot was fired and escaped. One of them lost his hat, which is in possession of the police of the Fourth District. Harkins is held a prisoner at the City Hospital pending an investigation. Harkins was picked up by Patrolman W.S. Fox of the Fourth District. He had a bullet wound in his left thigh.
Harkins declares that he knows of no persons who would harm him. He says that he did not know the man was going to attack him, and, after being shot, said he was unable to identify either of the strangers, as they hastened away. He asserts that he has had no trouble with anyone to bring about such an attack, and adds that the assault is more mysterious to him on that account. Harkins says he is a sheet-iron worker.

Hobart Jess Green
Murderer

https://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/...936a86e79.html

Old 10-24-2018, 08:19 AM

Leigh Rhodus 1883- ?
" The Candy Bandit "
He killed at least 2 people, committed many robberies, and always stole candy.

" I am a bandit because I could not make enough money at my trade of tailoring, and I stole candy because I like it," said Leigh Rhodus, the "Candy Bandit" in conversation with a Star reporter in the East St. Louis police station, Tuesday.

" I love chocolates, and I went to drug stores for them because I knew I would get the best. I made a mistake when I took that box of marshmallows, I thought they were chocolates. When I found out what they were, I took them home to my wife."
" My first job as a crook was a burglary attempted when I was 18 years old. My first holdup was in St. Louis a year ago, and I discharged the gun by accident and shot the man I had stopped. I did not intend to shoot him, but I am naturally very nervous, as you can see."
Rhodus held out a shaky hand and his jaw trembled as he spoke, not from fear but, as he said, from nervousness.

" Since I held up that man a year ago, I have done about 25 similar jobs, three of them being outside and the others in stores and saloons. I prefer store work to street work because I can keep an eye on my customers better when I am inside, and also can have better luck evading the police."

" As I said before, I am a crook because I could not make enough money at honest employment. I am not a maniac. I had to do this. I never drink and not one of my jobs was planned or premeditated. I would just be walking past a likely-looking place and decide suddenly to drop in and hold it up."

LOVES TO DANCE

" I love dances, and have attended dance halls regularly ever since I have been in East St. Louis, but I can't dance a step. I go to dances every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday nights. The last place I went was Ridge Lake a few nights ago. Some fellow paid too much attention to my wife while we were there and I pulled a gun on him."
" I usually sent my wife ahead to the dance hall, and I would then join her later when I had finished my evening's work. This gave me good chances to prove an alibi had I been caught right after a job. Yes, I'm caught now, and I want to hang. I can't endure the thought of a slow death in prison."

The bandit was deeply grieved when told by the East St. Louis police that his wife had renounced him and would return to the home of her father, Henry Biebel, near Rentchler Station, 9 miles east of Belleville. Rhodes apparently was affected deeply by the news, and insisted that his wife be taken with him to Chicago, should he be taken there to be tried for the murder of Dr. William F Michaelis, an Englewood dentist, whom he admits he killed the night of August 5. He blamed his wife's relatives for the estrangement, and implored the police to compel her to go with him wherever he be taken.

Detectives Prendergast and McGuire arrived in East St. Louis from Chicago Tuesday morning and immediately held a secret session with Rhodus and Chief of Detectives Patrick J Ryan in order to compare the "Candy Bandit's" confession with the facts in the Michaelis murder case. The conference was expected to determine whether Rhodus would be tried first in Chicago or East St. Louis.

It was said, however, by legal authorities that the confession will not be sufficient to convict Rhodus, and that the Chicago police must present indubitable evidence if they expect to give him more than a short prison sentence.
With the happy abandon that has characterized him ever since he was arrested, Rhodus says he wants to go back to Chicago and be hanged. " If they begin convicting me on these robberies down here, I'll be in the penitentiary the rest of my life. I'd rather get my neck cracked and have it done with."

Rhodus, who is 27 years old, and looks like a good-natured youth of fewer years, says his own regret is he must be separated from the wife to whom he was married July 7, after a courtship of 3 days, and to whom he carried the box of candy he almost invariably took from each drug store he robbed. The apparent pride and pleasure Rhodus finds in confessing his crimes have marked him as the most singular character with which the police of East St. Louis ever have had to deal. Although he declared after his arrest that he had been taken by surprise and that he would have given the detectives a fight if he had not left his revolver in a shed in back of the house on Trendly avenue, he did not delay his confession an instant when he saw there was no hope in his escape. " This is my finish," he said to the detectives when he was being taken to police headquarters in an automobile. " It means a neck-stretching for me as sure as anything in the world."

Captured

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=...-txln--------1

Newspaper article on Leigh Rhodus plus an article about a barber who hired a fortune teller to kill his rival.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/7151...eller_to_kill/

Last edited by aliasfinn; 10-24-2018 at 08:50 AM..

Old 10-24-2018, 04:15 PM

The Futo Murders 1991

Man Held in Slayings Says He's Innocent - latimes

Clayton, Mo.,-- A suburban St. Louis man was sentenced to 5 years in prison for shoving a piece of steak down his girlfriend's throat until she choked to death.
James Krebs, 42, pleaded no contest to a charge of involuntary manslaughter in March. He was originally charged with second-degree murder before reaching a deal with prosecutors. Krebs admitted that on June 23 he told his girlfriend that her steak was too fatty and undercooked. Jeri Troll, 44, replied that she would eat what she wanted. In his anger, Krebs shoved a hunk of meat into Troll's mouth. When paramedics arrived at the home the couple shared, they found a piece of steak 5 inches long in Troll's throat. An autopsy determined that she asphyxiated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri