Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:48 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,208,474 times

Advertisements

I think I'm a redneck, and I'm pretty proud of it - we are in a blue collar town, although my husband is very white collar (and from NJ originally, so he can NEVER qualify!)...I just like to think of rednecks as being the common folk who aren't too stuck on themselves, tell things the way they see it, and work hard for a living. White trash is another category altogether.

I would like to agree with BrianCraig.....but I've had this conversation too many times with my 25+ year old kids. I consider the Confederate flag a part of history and a reminder of my Southern roots - but apparently everyone else considers it a racist slam, which I would NEVER, EVER be a part of. I'm so sick of politically correct I could puke...that flag, as the American flag does, symbolizes to me a rich heritage....just as the rainbow flag symbolizes freedom to live as one chooses to the gay community.

I am VERY proud of being from the South, which still has some common decency and manners - and yes, there are the white trash, but they are everywhere, you can't run from them.

Riptoman, I would tell you like I tell my children - anything can be seen in whatever light you choose....and I choose to see it as a part of America's history as a whole, not a symbol of oppression and slavery and what have you. I don't have any slaves, never have had any slaves, most likely will never have any slaves - so I should be the one to be condemned over a piece of fabric? The political correctness of America these days amazes me...such a diverse melting pot, and still so intolerant of so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 09:33 AM

339 posts, read 1,419,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riptoman View Post
i consider rednecks to be found in the south. here in the midwest, we have hoosiers.
I think that is only a St. Louis expression. I don't hear it used anywhere else in the State.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:43 AM

26,372 posts, read 46,209,981 times
Smile Hmm

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I think I'm a redneck, and I'm pretty proud of it - we are in a blue collar town, although my husband is very white collar (and from NJ originally, so he can NEVER qualify!)...I just like to think of rednecks as being the common folk who aren't too stuck on themselves, tell things the way they see it, and work hard for a living. White trash is another category altogether.

I would like to agree with BrianCraig.....but I've had this conversation too many times with my 25+ year old kids. I consider the Confederate flag a part of history and a reminder of my Southern roots - but apparently everyone else considers it a racist slam, which I would NEVER, EVER be a part of. I'm so sick of politically correct I could puke...that flag, as the American flag does, symbolizes to me a rich heritage....just as the rainbow flag symbolizes freedom to live as one chooses to the gay community.

I am VERY proud of being from the South, which still has some common decency and manners - and yes, there are the white trash, but they are everywhere, you can't run from them.

Riptoman, I would tell you like I tell my children - anything can be seen in whatever light you choose....and I choose to see it as a part of America's history as a whole, not a symbol of oppression and slavery and what have you. I don't have any slaves, never have had any slaves, most likely will never have any slaves - so I should be the one to be condemned over a piece of fabric? The political correctness of America these days amazes me...such a diverse melting pot, and still so intolerant of so much.
ajf131- listen to this member

Old 05-08-2007, 11:44 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,208,474 times
Default Plains 10 and ajf131?

Plains 10-

I'm relatively new to the forum, so maybe I've missed a big something? Who is ajf131...I tried searching posts and can't come up with anything in this thread..and then we have a "cool" and "rolling eyes/sarcastic" emoticon at the bottom?

I honestly don't know what's going on - whether your note is directed back to me, at someone else, or if you're rolling your eyes over my interpretation of "redneck"? Wow....very confused....I know there's an emoticon for that, I'll just leave it like it is, though!

Old 05-08-2007, 11:52 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,918,945 times
Sam, I didn't get it either but I agree with your post 150%. People who grew up in the South know that the Confederate Flag is something to be proud of.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:54 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,918,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
I think that is only a St. Louis expression. I don't hear it used anywhere else in the State.
I think maybe Hoosiers is an Indiana expression.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:43 PM

Smile Explanation

Quote:
Plains 10-

I'm relatively new to the forum, so maybe I've missed a big something? Who is ajf131...I tried searching posts and can't come up with anything in this thread..and then we have a "cool" and "rolling eyes/sarcastic" emoticon at the bottom?

I honestly don't know what's going on - whether your note is directed back to me, at someone else, or if you're rolling your eyes over my interpretation of "redneck"? Wow....very confused....I know there's an emoticon for that, I'll just leave it like it is, though!
ajf131 and I were having a debate about which parts of Missouri we considered part of the south. This was in another thread. Sorry if I confused you, but this member has posted in other Missouri threads. Anyway, we both sort of agreed that most parts of southern Missouri and southeast Missouri would be classified as "southern." I also think that portions of Missouri qualify as part of the south becasue larger numbers of people live in rural counties compared to most areas of the Midwest core.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:53 PM

Post Info

The southern state debate thread is found under the General US section. Lets just say their was a lot of debate over what portions of Missouri should be classified as southern

Old 05-08-2007, 09:23 PM

Post clarification

Quote:
Plains 10-

The face expressions were not directed at you. Your post is a good descirption about the south, and how most southerners view things

Old 05-09-2007, 03:20 PM

339 posts, read 1,419,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I think maybe Hoosiers is an Indiana expression.
Not when it's used to mean the derogatory form of redneck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri