Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 09:19 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,137 times

Advertisements

Check out the Ar county you are interested in if you like a beer or two. Fulton cty Ar is a dry county i don't know about the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 01:01 PM

339 posts, read 1,424,433 times
I believe there are many dry counties in Arkansas.

Un-american if you ask me!

Old 10-12-2007, 03:48 PM

32 posts, read 194,426 times
Quote:
Oh yea, someone else earlier from KC made a Missouri joke so here is the one from the Arkansas' side; "....Missouri, where Men are Men and Sheep are NeRvOuS".
Hmm I heard that one some time ago from my wifes brother who happens to be my grandson.

Old 11-02-2020, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 629 times
I too am looking around the AR/MO boarder as a place to move with my granddaughter. I live in Ohio now and like it but there is no family here except one daughter whom I live with and she wants to sell her house at the end of the school year next year. So I am being told to move out. I used to live in Crawford county AR, and it too is a dry county, the housing is reasonable if you have adequate income, but for a fixed income not so much. If you buy in AR they do have homestead credit to reduce you real estate tax, but if you are disabled and or elderly you can have your taxes lowered with the credit and froze due to disability or elderly. The Ohio homestead exemption is a tax credit that allows elderly and disabled homeowners to reduce their home's market value by $25,000 for property tax purposes, but you have to be at least 65. MO doesn't have a homestead credit only a property tax credit when you file income taxes. Also MO still has personal property tax on household items while AR has it only on your vehicle, they should do away with both we paid sales and use tax when we purchased them. Arkansas still has food taxes. see [url]https://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/excise-tax/sales-and-use-tax/state-tax-rates/[/url] for more info. My nephew just left Fayetteville due to homicide activity near him on several different occasions and it is a college town. Their sales tax is higher than Fort Smith area. I was reading about Batesville someone posted, I may look there I just have to find a place before spring.

Old 11-02-2020, 07:39 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsplace63 View Post
I too am looking around the AR/MO boarder as a place to move with my granddaughter. I live in Ohio now and like it but there is no family here except one daughter whom I live with and she wants to sell her house at the end of the school year next year. So I am being told to move out. I used to live in Crawford county AR, and it too is a dry county, the housing is reasonable if you have adequate income, but for a fixed income not so much. If you buy in AR they do have homestead credit to reduce you real estate tax, but if you are disabled and or elderly you can have your taxes lowered with the credit and froze due to disability or elderly. The Ohio homestead exemption is a tax credit that allows elderly and disabled homeowners to reduce their home's market value by $25,000 for property tax purposes, but you have to be at least 65. MO doesn't have a homestead credit only a property tax credit when you file income taxes. Also MO still has personal property tax on household items while AR has it only on your vehicle, they should do away with both we paid sales and use tax when we purchased them. Arkansas still has food taxes. see https://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/excise-...ate-tax-rates/ for more info. My nephew just left Fayetteville due to homicide activity near him on several different occasions and it is a college town. Their sales tax is higher than Fort Smith area. I was reading about Batesville someone posted, I may look there I just have to find a place before spring.
I lived in both states for a majority of my life.
I'm not familiar with personal property taxes on "household items" in Missouri. I have no idea what that would be. I never paid it on anything other than vehicles and nobody ever told me otherwise.
Both states have annual personal property taxes on cars, boats, motorcycles, trailers, etc.
But, they both have very cheap registration fees to offset it some. Missouri still requires an inspection last I knew, but Arkansas did away with that years ago. I don't think they've brought it back.
They both have grocery taxes.
Missouri doesn't do dry counties.
I'm not familiar enough with tax situations involving retirement or disability to comment. On average, Missouri is a lower taxed state with generally better services and state government, but it really depends on your personal situation. Sales taxes can seem a bit high but everything else isn't.
They're both quite affordable for the most part.

Old 11-03-2020, 11:54 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I'm not familiar with personal property taxes on "household items" in Missouri. I have no idea what that would be. I never paid it on anything other than vehicles and nobody ever told me otherwise.
Both states have annual personal property taxes on cars, boats, motorcycles, trailers, etc.
But, they both have very cheap registration fees to offset it some. Missouri still requires an inspection last I knew, but Arkansas did away with that years ago. I don't think they've brought it back.
I'm not familiar enough with tax situations involving retirement or disability to comment. On average, Missouri is a lower taxed state with generally better services and state government, but it really depends on your personal situation. Sales taxes can seem a bit high but everything else isn't.
Missouri has eased vehicle Inspections considerably. Not required until 10 years/150,000 miles.
https://dor.mo.gov/motorv/help.php#safety

In Missouri, groceries are only levied with the local and county sales taxes. Exempt from state sales tax.

Personal property (regarding taxes) in Missouri includes vehicles, motorcycles, boats, trailers, airplanes and livestock.

Old 11-03-2020, 04:23 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
A lot counties in Missouri were dry but that changed in the 1940s.

It's odd because now the upper south states and Kansas still have a lot of dry counties but the deep south is a lot less restrictive. Georgia, Alabama, SC hardly any restrictions. I think SC counties are not allowed to be dry like Missouri law.

I do notice state wise that Missouri and Arkansas have a lot in common with each other, especially voting patterns and socially conservative, blue collar and the way state government and structure are set up are similar in a lot of ways. Both completed their political flips at similar times as well from Democrat to Republican.

Guns laws are similar but Missouri edges out Arkansas with better carry laws and self defense laws.

Did Arkansas ever pass a castle law and stand your ground? I thought they were one of the few states left without it.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:22 PM

656 posts, read 1,309,240 times
AR is not tax friendly and MO is mixed tax friendliness. SO, MO is your better choice for taxes. Kiplingers tax friendly map is helpful.
https://www.kiplinger.com/kiplinger-...-map/index.php

Old 11-09-2020, 02:22 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonM View Post
AR is not tax friendly and MO is mixed tax friendliness. SO, MO is your better choice for taxes. Kiplingers tax friendly map is helpful.
https://www.kiplinger.com/kiplinger-...-map/index.php
Surprised liberal states like CA, WA, NV, CO are considered tax friendly on there.

As for Arkansas yea presidential and state level it votes Republican but the state was a lot more moderate in the past, kinda like Missouri.

The higher taxes in AR could be because of past democrats. While the people socially conservative they were liberal on other things like welfare and such due to a lot of the population being poor.

Old 11-09-2020, 04:17 PM

656 posts, read 1,309,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Surprised liberal states like CA, WA, NV, CO are considered tax friendly on there.

As for Arkansas yea presidential and state level it votes Republican but the state was a lot more moderate in the past, kinda like Missouri.

The higher taxes in AR could be because of past democrats. While the people socially conservative they were liberal on other things like welfare and such due to a lot of the population being poor.
Yes I was surprised at that map too. The places that are the most tax friendly are getting so expensive that you can't afford a house. I am seeing that a lot of Californians are fleeing their state. going to places like TN, TX, AZ. They will most likely be changing those areas over time to become less tax friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri