Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:07 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,381,724 times

Advertisements

I believe the street view creator is from neighboring Kansas. I'm surprised how fast they're getting the new views out. It's a big country. I've used it many times researching places to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 10:27 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,825,170 times
Default Google Street View - Missouri

Google Maps

Click the orange man at left and drag him to the right. All the areas that light up blue can be seen from street level. It's called Street View. It started that only the major cities of Missouri, now it's in most of the small towns. Like it or not, it's there.

I find it interesting to see all these areas that are on street view, but some may not like their houses being on there.

What do you think?

Old 01-25-2010, 12:30 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Hehe , Google Streetview just added Denmark Sweden , Scotland. As for people not liking it , theres not much you can do. 1st Amendment protects you , as long as your not being threating or invasive. But Google only drives on Public Roads or on Private Property with permission. They are slowly starting to redo the Northeast in HD DC, NYC , Baltimore already have it, i beleave my state is next. Missouri might be a year away.

~Corey

Old 01-25-2010, 07:49 AM

380 posts, read 963,184 times
Street view pictures are old in most cases. Shows our house under construction (summer, 2007) for example.

I thought it was fun to look at places we've lived through the years and see what's changed. Also find it helpful when I'm looking for an address. I'm a visual navigator and pictures work best for me.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:07 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
Doesn't do a lot of flattery to neighborhoods either. Even the nicest neighborhoods usually look like ghettos

Old 01-29-2010, 12:26 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Missouri - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/65lv5b - broken link)

Looks like they've expanded the Missouri coverage a bit. They even pass by Poplar Bluff on 60 and 67.

Looks like they've expanded their coverage of Springfield as well. They pass by Columbia on I-70. Jefferson City is covered. They pass through Osage Beach. Branson is covered. Kansas City and Topeka seem to be extensively explored. Looks like the Illinois side of St. Louis may be more explored. Webster Groves, Kirkwood, Town and County, Chesterfield seem to be covered pretty well. St. Charles is only covered on the highways. Street View seems to cover most the major highways in Illinois also. Peoria and Springfield, IL are covered.
I was surprised and tickled pink when OUR house showed up on street view (even though they got the address wrong).

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-04-2010, 08:07 PM

38 posts, read 138,884 times
I still remember the day when they took the photo of our house. Not too many persons stop in the middle of the street with a camera around here!

We had to a laugh because our house looked absolutely horrible! We had just tore off the old front porch. The house was awful looking and the front lawn was a wreck!

At first we thought it was another person in our neighborhood taking pictures to complain. People in our area hate it when we update our house. Some folks don't like having their property values go up.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:57 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes_00 View Post
I still remember the day when they took the photo of our house. Not too many persons stop in the middle of the street with a camera around here!

We had to a laugh because our house looked absolutely horrible! We had just tore off the old front porch. The house was awful looking and the front lawn was a wreck!

At first we thought it was another person in our neighborhood taking pictures to complain. People in our area hate it when we update our house. Some folks don't like having their property values go up.
LOL the place we rent out here in Ca. has a photo of a few feet of snow everywhere and one of our cars parked in the middle of snow in the yard as well as the two in the driveway. It doesn't look too classy.

Looks like when I get to Missouri I'll be up around your general part of the state. How is the area for fairs and things fun to do? Maybe 4th of July? I used to live up in Bethany and 4th of July was so much fun. I really loved being close to the fairgrounds there too. I would have moved back there but after selling my house and everything when we left, I decided to move somewhere else. I've been back to see my old house and it's too sad.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:22 PM

38 posts, read 138,884 times
I know that Chillicothe still has the huge fireworks display in Simpson Park each year. Many of the small local towns quit the displays either due to budget or not able to find a decent company.

The county fair in Livingston County has moved out to 190 Highway near the Litton Agricenter. It's not like the old fair we remember.
They also offer events like Old Settlers/Harvester Days with lots of demonstrations of equipment and renactors I think at the new fair grounds.

North of Chillicothe at McCoullough Park they have Blugrass Festival each summer but I'm not sure of when. Usually in the summer Chillicothe has a Strum and Stroll event in the evening as well.

The Lions Club of Chillicothe has their huge car show in Simpson Park as well in July.

Trenton offers Missouri Days Festival at their fairgrounds in October for 3 days. Wonderful flea market, displays, car show and events downtown at five points as well.

Brookfield has a pretty good fourth of July I think and on Labor Day weekend they have the Pershing Balloon Derby. Always worth going to the night light! Beautiful to watch. Bring your lawn chairs, bug spray, and sunblock. They charge either by the person or by the carload.

Jamesport has a variety of Back in Time weekends they do. The H&M Store and stores downtown are always interesting to tromp through.

Fun stuff in general there's mountain biking,hiking, and fishing at almost all the local state parks. Crowder, Pershing, and Swan Lake. Swan Lake is opening for bird watching now I think.

Chillicothe offers Mudcats Collegiate Baseball in the summertime, bowling alley, 6 screen theater with 3-D, 18 Hole Greenhills Public Golf Course, and I know I'm forgetting some things.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:39 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,592 times
Thanks for all the great info! Sounds wonderful. I can't wait to get back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri