Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 09:30 PM

142 posts, read 413,415 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the St. Louis forum but nobody responded so I will try here. Early in the week my friend called me and was asking some questions I was unsure about since I have not been here very long myself. However, I told her would post on the forum and see what the good folks of Missouri had to say!

Since we are fairly new to the area I told my friends I was not sure about this but would ask on here to find out for her.

They are closing out their home at the end of December and will close on their new home here the first week in January.

She was asking me about transferring their vehicles here and the personal property tax. They have one vehicle that will need to be transferred ASAP because it will be out of date in their old state.

Does it matter what date she registers her car? Can she wait after a certain date and avoid paying the PPT this year?

If you are a NEW resident does it matter what month and date you register in to avoid the PPT? Don't you get the first year free? I thought we did.

I was not sure so, I was not offering any information until I could confirm.

Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 04:40 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
If they are a resident of MO on January 1st, they will owe the property tax. So if she goes to the tax office anytime after the 1st and says she moved to MO after the 1st, she will not owe for 2009. That's what I would do. She will not be able to register/title the car until she gets that waiver for the '09 tax. That's my understanding of it.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:34 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
What you may need to know is Real Estate and Personal Property Taxes are due at the end of the year.

Last edited by linicx; 12-27-2008 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: wong info

Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 PM

11 posts, read 42,449 times
Taxes are due December 31 and are based on what you owned on January 1. If you didn't live there Jan 1, you don't owe anything. I've lived here my whole life so I couldn't say for sure about the first year free thing but it does seem like I've heard someone say something along that lines before. I'd call the county clerk and ask.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:50 PM

142 posts, read 413,415 times
We figured it out and here is the low down.

You must get a Personal Tax Waiver from your county. You will need your DL's from your state you are from. They will ask you when you moved to Missouri. You will have to give the information on at least two vehicles that you own and show your previous states registration. They will enter it in the computer, pay $1.00 and they will give your Waiver. Your waiver will cover anything you own that requires Personal Property Tax.

Then you take your vehicles for inspections. You then take all your previous states registration paperwork and titles if you have them, along with the inspection paperwork to the DVM. You present the DVM your WAIVER, inspection paperwork, previous states registration and title if you have it, insurance information, and drivers license from previous state. With the waiver you are exempt from that years Personal Property tax. Your pay for your plates and small transfer fee. If its a current year vehicle they will ask to see where and if you paid sales tax on it. She owes no taxes for 2008 or 2009 due to the time she purchased her resident.

Driver's License. You must have your current DL's and a birth certificate (must be real deal, not copies) and ladies you will need your SS card to show your married name.

Hope this will be helpful to someone.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri