Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2007, 04:37 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,943,812 times

Advertisements

I think I just went through an initiation ritual in SW MO, Nixa specifically. While stopped on Hwy 160, I was rear ended by a tweeker. ( Grrrrrrrr ) For those that don't know, "tweeker" is a street word for someone who uses Meth.

He begged us not to call the Nixa police for a report filing and told us that he was on parole. He said that the police didn't like him. However, once he failed to disclose his information, as required by the Vehicle Code, I sent my wife back to the car to call the local law enforcement agency.

He shortly realized that the police had been called so he took off on us, leaving the scene of an accident. However, thanks to the quick work by the Nixa officers, he was caught. They did a great job.

Our car is a little messed up, but the tweeker's car is much more of a mess. I couldn't see him getting too far. At least we're not injured, so hopefully his insurance will turn out to be valid and we'll get our damage fixed. In the meantime, he's sitting in jail due to his parole violation and a previous arrest warrant that had been issued for him. I'm sure that's why he didn't want the police called.

So, I think we've been initiated to town. What do you think?

BTW, I can't blame local law enforcement for "not liking him." I don't like him either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 05:11 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,080 times
That's to bad. I'm just wondering if all the rumors are true about MO and Meth users are true?

Old 03-03-2007, 07:38 PM

36 posts, read 141,301 times
Sorry about your iniation to SW MO. I think we have a meth problem
here but I don't think it as bad as anywhere else for a city of this
size.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:44 PM

137 posts, read 610,249 times
I too have heard of the Ozarks referred to as a haven for meth addicts and racists. I must say that on the half dozen visits to my future new home I was pleased by the politeness and the outright friendly nature of the majority of folks I have encountered. I was surprised at how many had moved there from some other state. I did find it strange that I was looked at like I was a little off when I didn't understand why hardware stores and lumber yards (places to buy tools) didn't carry chain saws. ( must be a local thing)

Last edited by Indy4570; 03-04-2007 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: additions to thread

Old 03-04-2007, 06:37 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,943,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy4570 View Post
I too have heard of the Ozarks referred to as a haven for meth addicts and racists.
I don't know about the "racist" thing or know how it relates to the topic of the thread. I can say that, for the very little time I've been here, I haven't seen any overt actions, heard any statements, or seen any displayed grafitti to further that issue. However, I did experience the direct effect of a doper idiot on the road. Hopefully it will be my last.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:34 PM

137 posts, read 610,249 times
I just said I have heard the Ozarks areas of Missouri referred to as such, I'm sure the person from Chicago who visits from time to time wasn't aware of the "thread" when he said it to me. If I have violated some "thread" relavance rule by including the racist portion I am truly sorry. I'm new at this. I do notice that in a few hours of adding comments my "reputation has dropped from a ten at the outset to a nine at present. I guess that means somebody didn't like what I wrote? Gotta love a free country where your allowed to have your own opinion!

Old 03-05-2007, 08:51 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,733 times
Meth is a problem anywhere it is found. But it is primarily a problem for those who use it and the people close to them. This case is an exception, but it proves my point. This guy doesn't want any interaction with anyone if he can help it. The meth users are reclusive. You will find them here and there displaying the tell tale signs, but they usually create no problems for the general public as they destroy their lives.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:42 PM

226 posts, read 999,639 times
So sad..... glad your ok.
Here in Phoenix my car has been hit twice by illegals and of course they didn't have insurance. At least your meth head could talk in English....
Hope it all works out for you.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:31 PM

7 posts, read 55,106 times
I think meth users do create problems for the public because a lot of them end up stealing to support their habit. I feel sorry for the kids that have no choice but to live with one.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:26 AM

65 posts, read 389,453 times
Default Meth and Race

Meth, is an undeniable problem in this area, and our law enforcement fights it, Missouri is not perfect for sure but I feel as a State we don't ignore this issue, we are very aware that there is a problem and we have taken several steps to fight it.

Dealing with Race, I myself do not think there is a race issue today, I think this area has come far though from where it has been in the past but hasn't the whole country? I am not saying that there are not racists here but I think for the most folks people around here have a respect for human life no matter what race or nationality. I think that respect is rooted in the Christian influence in the area.

There are some ugly things in the past, and admittedly they carry over in peoples thoughts, but I am not sure that its a bad thing that we remember the ugly things in the history, no matter if its politically correct or not having the knowledge of what has happened in the past forces us to continually make sure that nothing like any of that happens again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
View detailed profiles of: