Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:10 PM

543 posts, read 855,543 times

Advertisements

Well Virginia isnt really as southern as it used to be. Southeast MO you will find out to be more southern than VA. Feel free to fly your battle flag down there as most people down there were pro Confederate.

Around Cape Girardeau county is when it becomes true southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 06:38 AM

694 posts, read 1,356,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
Feel free to fly your battle flag down there as most people down there were pro Confederate.
Apparently onegoal, your one goal in life is to re-fight the Civil War on this forum and convince the rest of us that we should all agree with your interpretation of 'Southern' history. Regardless of your postings about the Southern cause on numerous forum topic's (very few of which have had any bearing on the topic being discussed), you are not going to change anyone's mind. While a Civil War buff myself, I realize that most people on this forum (and in the real world) don't give a hoot about what happened a century and a half ago, unless it has some relevance on their lives today. And there are some of us who do, that feel rehashing long ago arguments, does a great disservice to those who fought and died - from both sides - to end those arguments.

The South lost the war. It's time to get over it and move on.

And Happy New Year - it's nearly 2011

Old 01-02-2011, 02:17 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I've heard the Mississippi delta described as Southeast Missouri, Western Kentucky and Tennessee, and Northeastern Arkansas all the way down to the ocean. That's what my History teacher said anyway.

Comprehensive Concept Map - Lower Mississippi Delta Region - National Park Service
River Towns 1. Ste. Genevieve, Missouri 2. Cairo, Illinois 3. Memphis, Tennessee 4. Hickman, Kentucky 5. Helena, Arkansas 6. Vicksburg, Mississippi 7. New Orleans, Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I don't agree with Ste. Genevieve. Ste. Genieve is about 100 miles too far north to be classified as part of that region and doesn't have the culture. I would not begin including any town in the Mississippi delta until at least south of Cape Girardeau where the Ohio flows into it and the Mississippi doubles in width and volume. The Cotton Belt starts roughly around here.
Cant believe I missed this one.....Ste Gen is NOT in the delta, and we dont have the culture, not one little tiny bit.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Cant believe I missed this one.....Ste Gen is NOT in the delta, and we dont have the culture, not one little tiny bit.
True.

Just like Southeast MO seems to blend in the with MS Delta kind of southern culture while the Ozarks of Missouri and Arkansas have more of a southern mountain area kind of southern culture.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
True.

Just like Southeast MO seems to blend in the with MS Delta kind of southern culture while the Ozarks of Missouri and Arkansas have more of a southern mountain area kind of southern culture.
Very true, just as the Mississippi Hills region, which runs from just above Cape to STL, along the river, and out to Hermann on the Missouri, has its own thing going on.
Not a lot of people realize that there are so many different cultures going on in such close proximity to each other.
Its one of the things that makes Missouri so unique!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,430 times
I recently heard that Farmington, MO is one of the best smaller cities to live in, so if you want to be near the lakes and hills, and have easy access to the major cities, but not live down by the mosquitoes, then maybe this would be the best location for you. My second choice would be Perryville,
then Lebanon, then Springfield. We live in Benton, by the way, and we are a former Navy family.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelso_girl_cabh80 View Post
I recently heard that Farmington, MO is one of the best smaller cities to live in, so if you want to be near the lakes and hills, and have easy access to the major cities, but not live down by the mosquitoes, then maybe this would be the best location for you. My second choice would be Perryville,
then Lebanon, then Springfield. We live in Benton, by the way, and we are a former Navy family.
I wouldnt go to Perryville, trust me on that one....a lot of crime and drugs for such a small town.
They have quite a few illegals, too. Gilster seems to keep on hiring them.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:12 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
Quote:
Not a lot of people realize that there are so many different cultures going on in such close proximity to each other.
Just drive across Missouri and you will hear all kinds of dilect, from "you are" to "Ya all" to "Ya'll" to "You'ins"
I Love It

Old 01-04-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Very true, just as the Mississippi Hills region, which runs from just above Cape to STL, along the river, and out to Hermann on the Missouri, has its own thing going on.

True. I live in South Stl county and even driving on I55 just 10-15 miles south you can tell things start changing once you get out of the urban, Arnold area towards Imperial and Pevely. Things have a more rural, southernish look to them. Amazing how just 15 miles is a big difference. I used to work at a bank off HWY 21 in Jefferson County less than 10 miles north from Hillsboro and the people were totally different than Stl county. Even the style of the buildings was totally different looking. Like you would see in the true MO ozarks, Northern AR Ozarks.

Another interesting fact is that Stl city made itself an independant city because it didn't want to be part of Stl county due to the fact is was rural and because some of the residents leaned pro confederate, hence Stl city didn't want any of the tax $ going towards them.

This is the 1870s we are talking. Stl county was a lot of farmland and ALOT more rural then. Total opposite of what it is today. The only bit of farm land left you see is little patches near the MO river around Chesterfield. I never knew that was why Stl made themselves independant. There has been talk of giving stl city back to the county but most county residents want no part of it. That would just drain the county tax payers with social services and other stuff.

St. Louis, Missouri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-04-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
True. I live in South Stl county and even driving on I55 just 10-15 miles south you can tell things start changing once you get out of the urban, Arnold area towards Imperial and Pevely. Things have a more rural, southernish look to them. Amazing how just 15 miles is a big difference. I used to work at a bank off HWY 21 in Jefferson County less than 10 miles north from Hillsboro and the people were totally different than Stl county. Even the style of the buildings was totally different looking.
I feel I have to address this remark, as I am an interior designer, and have extensively studied building styles.
Unless the buildings you are speaking of are frame or block, how in the world do you determine that a building looks "southernish"?
Modern commercial building styles are pretty consistent within the the Mississippi Hills region, as well as most regions of Missouri.
Please dont tell me that you think this building looks "southernish".
This Week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri