Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:42 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Don't Ya just love the way us NorCalers always say "Hey, I'm NOT from Southern California".....
But we're not, and we're probably all glad we're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplewife&mom View Post
Now, I am from CA, but not Southern CA.
That proves it! Well, at least I'm not from SoCal anymore and haven't been for about 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
You'll need to go coat shopping.
Check! Did that earlier this month.

Quote:
The humidity can be bad, but I've heard from other people that humidity here is not as bad as down south.
I lived in AL, NC and VA before the days of air conditioners and in NC and VA, again, as well as GA and KY since. My wife lived in FL and NW AR. We'll acclimate.

Quote:
People here seem to have the attitude that the government, for the most part, needs to butt out.
One of the BIG reasons we're moving in the Spring.

Quote:
...Missourians in general seem to have good values. Most are pretty conservative (not saying that liberals don't have values). So, that conservatism may be a big change. The city of Springfield itself is a college town, but the outer lying areas are probably going to be mostly conservative (pro-life, no gay marriage, etc.).
More good reasons to move.

Quote:
I think most Missourians are pretty friendly...
That's certainly what I've found online.

Quote:
When it gets cold, though, you'll need to stay inside or wear the heavy clothing.
Clothing we have. Reason to go outside we won't have. We'll keep the larder stocked and we're both retired.

Quote:
...but don't be surprised to hear a "crazy Californian" joke occasionally.
Don't be surprised if I tell some myself!

Quote:
The weather and culture will take some getting used to.
We can hardly wait to begin.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 01-22-2009 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 08:33 AM

419 posts, read 1,182,327 times
Quote:
The humidity can be bad, but I've heard from other people that humidity here is not as bad as down south
I think the humidity will bother you most of all. When we visit relatives out west, it's a real killer to get acclimated again.

Quote:
I don't live around Springfield, but I think southern Missourians in general seem to have good values.
Very Red state. Lots of us cling to our bibles and guns here.

Quote:
Springfield does have some shopping. There's battlefield mall. And Incredible Pizza Place (or something like that).
Incredible Pizza sprung from the bowels of Hell. I would rather have hot pokers stabbed in my eyes than go back there. The kids loved it of course.

Quote:
After a while people will realize that you're not a nut. I don't think anyone will hurt you, but don't be surprised to hear a "crazy Californian" joke occasionally.
Get your license plate changed ASAP.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:45 AM

81 posts, read 196,053 times
Quote:
Hunting seems really big all across Missouri. Not sure if that's the case in California. People here seem to have the attitude that the government, for the most part, needs to butt out.
Many people in this area are hunters. My husband hasn't done so for years, but we were blessed this season with venison in the freezer from a friend. I think in this area many want the gov't out of our lives. Unfortunately a lot of the state doesn't feel that way and our leaders at the capitol don't either! A major reason for wanting to move.

Quote:
I don't live around Springfield, but I think southern Missourians in general seem to have good values. Most are pretty conservative (not saying that liberals don't have values). So, that conservatism may be a big change. The city of Springfield itself is a college town, but the outer lying areas are probably going to be mostly conservative (pro-life, no gay marriage, etc.).
This is just what we are looking for, and sounds like where I am now (though that is changing sadly) only much more so.

Thank you for the analysis.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:14 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
No problem.

But if somebody has something to add...

Old 01-22-2009, 06:00 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post

Very Red state. Lots of us cling to our bibles and guns here.
Southern Missouri is very conservative, but the northern parts, especially around KC, St. Louis, and Columbia are much more moderate.
Missouri strikes me as purple. It's a bell-weather state(usually), and there's generally not going to be a landslide one way or the other. Take away the larger cities, though, and it becomes Nebraska.
I won't speak for St. Louis, but Kansas City, city proper is liberal for the most part. The suburbs are a fun mix of very conservative, very libertarian, and downright liberal, along with a few Lutherans.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I won't speak for St. Louis, but Kansas City, city proper is liberal for the most part. The suburbs are a fun mix of very conservative, very libertarian, and downright liberal, along with a few Lutherans.
Simplewife was asking about southern Missouri. I've only been to KC once and St. Louis has so many problems, I don't even want to think about it.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:10 AM

Well, any city has problems. If you like the city just kinda learn to deal with it.

I love St. Louis myself, though I don't live there. Yes, the city has been through a lot, but the city is still very beautiful, with fantastic architecture and things to do. I love the country, too, but I think I would choose St. Louis over Springfield, since both are about the same distance from where my family and I live now.

I've never been to Kansas City.

I don't think rural people and suburbanites need to be terrified of cities. Be careful, obviously. Don't leave your car running with the keys in it, don't leave valuable stuff in your car. If an area looks bad then just don't go there. Know where you're going and have a plan, but stepping foot into a city will probably not kill you.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I don't think rural people and suburbanites need to be terrified of cities. there. Know where you're going and have a plan, but stepping foot into a city will probably not kill you.
Something about St. Louis's high murder rate just takes the starch right out of me. Silly I guess.

I do have to say when my Dad was in Barnes for an operation a few years ago, I was impressed how friendly the people around the hospital were. Pleasant surprise. I scurried back home as soon as I could of course.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:10 AM

I understand some people are rural people, but you have to take crime numbers with a grain of salt.

Maybe not murder, but the other numbers can be a bit skewed. For one, the North Side is more dangerous (generally) than the South Side. Also, sometimes cities don't report certain crimes. Other cities may have just as much as crime, but if they don't report it...

There's crime in the city, but you'll probably be okay. I've walked from Scottrade to Union station, I've walked from the Ballpark back to our hotel. I'm still here.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:37 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,121 times
Keep in mind those STL murder numbers are skewed. Most cities have a metropolitan area consisting of a few hundred square miles. STL City is 60 something square miles.

If you factor in STL county you get a better comparison.

I kind of like STL's tough rep, it keeps the liberals away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri