Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 06:22 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplewife&mom View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading throughout the Missouri forum for over a year, and have learned a lot. And I've seen how kind and supportive the people on this forum are!

Since a move to MO from CA is not really in the works for us at the moment, I am gathering as much info as I can in the event that it does happen. I'm ready to go (I think) when/if my husband decides to leave CA. This state is not going to improve anytime soon in my opinion. First on my list of places to go is Southern MO! The overall values, climate, landscape, and lifestyle are exactly what I would call wonderful. I'm thinking somewhere in a 30 mile circle of Springfield for job availability, but at least 15 miles from the city.

Now, I am from CA, but not Southern CA. I read a lot about the culture shock people from my state experience in rural MO. I have lived my whole life in the same county, in a town of less than 3,000 or the nearby town of 10,000+. It's pretty rural here. We're between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe. I've noticed that some of the people on this forum may have come from my neck of the woods, what is your opinion about the culture shock effect coming from a place like this in CA as opposed to Southern CA? Not only culturally, but climate adjustments as well. We're not used to much humidity here, certainly not during the summer! A slower pace, small community, lots of churches - these things are right up our alley, but I'm wondering what things I might notice coming from here to there that would take some getting used to. If anyone has any input from their visits from my area to the Springfield area, I would love to read it.
The only real shock I had was about food. There were food items that we were used to that we couldn't find in the grocery stores here, but that was 15 years ago and things have really changed! It depends on where you're moving from...I lived in Sacramento & my sister lived in Grass Valley. We lived for several years in Truckee. Santa Rosa. Salinas. You'll find a big difference in the grocery stores...I still miss Raley's. The stores here are getting better all the time, responding to the demand from the transplants, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 06:43 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
The only real shock I had was about food. There were food items that we were used to that we couldn't find in the grocery stores here, but that was 15 years ago and things have really changed! It depends on where you're moving from...I lived in Sacramento & my sister lived in Grass Valley. We lived for several years in Truckee. Santa Rosa. Salinas. You'll find a big difference in the grocery stores...I still miss Raley's. The stores here are getting better all the time, responding to the demand from the transplants, I suppose.
Let me hasten to add for SWM that if you usually buy Best Foods mayonnaise in CA it's likely Helman's in MO, unless even that's changed. And for you, LJ, Raley's is alive and well but Albertson's folded and was taken over in NorCal by Food Mart which is a "local" company from Modesto. They do a nice job. Safeway has become more like Raleys as a somewhat up-scale chain and is a delight to shop in with great delis, bakeries and produce. Of course, I'm a bit biased as my middle, about-to-turn 24 year old daughter was an assistant manager in a local store (just three blocks from my office so I actually got to see her) and recently became the store manager for another local Safeway. Not bad for a youngster, huh?

I well recall the culture shock of moving from CA to other states when it came to food, especially produce, having done so at least a half dozen times over my lifetime. I also remember growing many things I missed but I suspect that the shock will be far less now than it was in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:03 PM

81 posts, read 195,985 times
Quote:
I lived in Sacramento & my sister lived in Grass Valley. We lived for several years in Truckee. Santa Rosa. Salinas. You'll find a big difference in the grocery stores...I still miss Raley's.
We're in Placerville, and we have a Raley's. My mom shopped there with us when we were little and now I take my kids there. It is my favorite grocery store. For some reason, there are many more elderly people shopping there than at our Safeway, and I like to see and talk to them. And the service is unbeatable, not to mention the produce.

There's a lot on the forum about people from urban areas adjusting to rural southern MO. It's interesting to hear about what people from rural, but still CA, locations experience when making that move.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:52 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,651,577 times
Quote:
We're in Placerville, .
PLacerville is beautiful, and seems like a nice town....
We spend many a saturday night at the Sprint Car races there...

Old 01-24-2009, 06:48 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,856,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post
Simplewife was asking about southern Missouri. I've only been to KC once and St. Louis has so many problems, I don't even want to think about it.
Yes, but the state as a whole is not red... not that there's anything wrong with being totally red. There's also much more to northern Missouri than the cities. Some of the rural parts I actually like every bit as much as the Ozarks. Maybe a little more, because it's not so trendy and increasingly crowded.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:33 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
My wife lived there for several years while she was a practicing midwife. She loved raising her daughters there and was sorry to leave. We go periodically just to wander around. Old Hangtown does have its charm!

Old 01-24-2009, 08:55 AM

81 posts, read 195,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
We're about 8 miles outside of town but we can hear the races in summer. It's very nice here, but this whole state is going to you know where and I can't wait to get out. Apparently we aren't going to receive our state tax refund now. An I.O.U. from the state? What if that happened with Federal Refunds?!

I completely understand how some (like ozarksboy) feel about people from urban areas moving to our hometowns and then trying to change them. It has happened and is happening here. I'm afraid if we move to southern MO, that will happen in our new hometown as well. It's frustrating to have grown up on lots of acreage, desire that for my children, and not be able to afford it, partly because so many people wanting to move here has driven real estate up. But I can't really blame someone for wanting to live here, as long as they leave it be.

Ten years ago I joined the local Mom's Club, for playdates. It was a surprise that I was the only local in the group. Every single other mom was either from the Bay Area or L.A. Some come here and try to make it like Berkley or Davis, they complain about people burning leaves and riding dirt bikes. But just because someone is from a big city doesn't mean they will do that. I have met many who come here and appreciate the lifestyle and do not desire to change it.

I apologize if this is off topic. But I've been a lurker (?) for so long and you people are so nice that it makes it easy to share ideas with.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:19 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,856,667 times
I moved out to Missouri about 5 years ago. I researched it on the web, chose a city and house and my family (hubby,kids and I) just upped and left for there. I had never been to Missouri before. We chose a small town called Bethany in Northern Missouri. I absolutely LOVE the town. I saw fireflies for the first time in my life. We saw two different kinds of large turtles crossing the roads there, wild turkeys, the best firework displays (lol the neighbor's were better than the fairgrounds), we had amish with horses and buggies drive up our road and set up shop on corners selling various items.

I really love that place. It is small though, I think the population is about 3500 people which is the same as the city I currently live in. I moved about 3 years ago BACK to California. It wasn't a choice we made lightly. I had been injured by a chiropractor out there and I could barely function (neck) so my husband moved us back here so I could have some help.

Well we will be moving back to Missouri, we chose St. Joseph this time. St. Joseph is one of my favorite places because I can just sit in awe of the architecture. I have always loved the old fabulous homes. We found a fixer (lol be careful of those out there cause a fixer is really a fixer) that has about 2800 sq feet and 4 lots giving us a little over half an acre in the city. We think it is about 80 to 90 years old which I just can't find out here and afford. I'm so excited!

Oh I think you should spend some time out in the Spring during Tornado season before you move. That is the one and only downfall for me. The two years I was out there it seemed like we had warning after warning after warning. Tornado sirens aren't super fun to hear. And believe me it's freaky to go see the damage after one comes close to your town. I have to tell you though I saw some of the most awesome skyscapes in my life out there.

I love photography and I had some wonderful photo op's out there!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:16 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,072 times
Wink Produce & such...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
...I'm a bit biased as my middle, about-to-turn 24 year old daughter was an assistant manager in a local store (just three blocks from my office so I actually got to see her) and recently became the store manager for another local Safeway. Not bad for a youngster, huh?
The apples don't fall far from the tree, I've heard... Sounds like you have a right to be proud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I well recall the culture shock of moving from CA to other states when it came to food, especially produce, having done so at least a half dozen times over my lifetime. I also remember growing many things I missed but I suspect that the shock will be far less now than it was in the 50s, 60s and 70s.
The availablility of produce has changed in the 15 years I've been here, but there are still things I miss. Fresh figs.

Quote:
...There's a lot on the forum about people from urban areas adjusting to rural southern MO. It's interesting to hear about what people from rural, but still CA, locations experience when making that move.
Although I moved here from Sacramento, I was born in a very small rural town outside of Fresno, and have lived in other very small towns around mostly northern CA. I hated the city, except for the cultural opportunities. I will always be a small town girl. In only 5 years I have become a recognized part of my new hometown, get smiles & nods almost everywhere I go. And in this neck of the Ozark woods, folks still wave at strangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Yes, but the state as a whole is not red... not that there's anything wrong with being totally red. There's also much more to northern Missouri than the cities. Some of the rural parts I actually like every bit as much as the Ozarks. Maybe a little more, because it's not so trendy and increasingly crowded.
Absolutely true! Northern Missouri is gorgeous, with great lakes & rivers & woods & lovely small towns. It's colder with more snow than down here...and more in the way of tornados, I think, than right here by the lake. I had enough snow in CA!

Quote:
We're about 8 miles outside of town (Placerville) but we can hear the races in summer. It's very nice here, but this whole state is going to you know where and I can't wait to get out. Apparently we aren't going to receive our state tax refund now. An I.O.U. from the state? What if that happened with Federal Refunds?!

I apologize if this is off topic. But I've been a lurker (?) for so long and you people are so nice that it makes it easy to share ideas with.
I'm so glad you came out of the shadows! I did the same thing for a long time, but since I've been posting here I've made many, many good friends. Some I've met and many I haven't...but friends just the same! (((((City-Data)))))

Oh, and one of the small towns I lived in as a kid was Pollock Pines...!

Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 AM

879 posts, read 2,877,942 times
Default Tornadoes vs Earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbnmom03 View Post
We're making plans to visit in the spring! So this is all great advice! Now here's another question: reading Lake Junkie's post... TORNADOES?! Ok, Ok, I've experienced my share of earthquakes and from what my in-laws who lived in Sunrise Beach for alittle over 9 years, they said they only got 1 tornado scare (had to go the their "safe" place), heres the question, how bad/scary is it, honestly? I've heard the argument, "well at least with tornadoes you'll get warning, with earthquakes you just get the shock!" Which city has the LEAST tornadoe scare?
I moved here from No. California a couple of years ago. Everyone from the west is afraid of Tornadoes and people from everywhere else is afraid of earthquakes. Don't let it bother you too much. My dad has lived in the area of Table Rock lake for 30 years and has never even seen one...doesn't have a basement or shelter. I live betwen Branson and Springfield and don't have one. There is a chance of a tornadoe sure, but there is a higher chance of house fire...that's why you don't pay extra here for tornado insurance but you do for fire insurance.

I definitely agree with the other postings that said you need to check it out for yourself. There are things to love (cost of homes & fuel) and things to hate (for me it's winter and snakes/spiders). But each of those things is personal.

As far as taxes, I don't find them to be all that different that CA. except that the highest bracket of income is less but you hit it at a much lower income. BUT housing is much much less and real estate tax "can be" depending on your county. The real estate taxes vary widely and are county based not state based like CA.

The one thing you do not want to do is come here and then complain about what the area does or doesn't have. A few folks do seem to get a little excited about Californian's wanting to change the area by getting things like Trader Joe's. The ironic part is that TJ's isn't just in CA and those looking to get it (and other things) here aren't necessarily from CA. Most of the newbies around here aren't from CA from what I can tell by the Springfield New Comers club membership. I haven't found any hostility toward ex-CA'ers but a few of the on-site folks sure can get excited from time to time about us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri